All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Can salmon undo Yosemite dam?
August 23, 2009 02:43PM
With salmon on the California coast disappearing, I wonder how many billions of dollars will be spent on hatcheries, habitat restoration, fish ladders and even trucks in an attempt to save the species. I also wonder how long government will rely on these failing approaches until confronting the obvious: the dam in Yosemite's Hetch Hetchy Valley must come down if salmon are to thrive again in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta.

http://www.fresnobee.com/columnists/mcewen/story/1611368.html
avatar Re: Can salmon undo Yosemite dam?
August 23, 2009 03:14PM
Isn't Don Pedro Dam an obstruction to salmon regardless of whether there is a dam upstream?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
August 23, 2009 04:27PM
Frank Furter
Isn't Don Pedro Dam an obstruction to salmon regardless of whether there is a dam upstream?

I would think so.
August 23, 2009 05:16PM
eeek
Frank Furter

I would think so.

The article may have been advocating the value of colder water releases from Don Pedro, but that was not made very clear. Perhaps salmon can spawn below Don Pedro if the water temperature is favorable.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
August 23, 2009 05:45PM
Frank Furter
eeek
Frank Furter

I would think so.

The article may have been advocating the value of colder water releases from Don Pedro, but that was not made very clear. Perhaps salmon can spawn below Don Pedro if the water temperature is favorable.

That might be. Just wish the author had put in a few more details.
August 25, 2009 04:35PM
Just found this:

"Let's be clear that there is no evidence that salmon ever spawned as far upstream as Hetch Hetchy. "

http://restorehetchhetchy.blogspot.com/
Re: Can salmon undo Yosemite dam?
August 23, 2009 09:28PM
even if the dams are taken down ther be millons spent on the silt on the bottom of the dams to clean up or the silt would be more trouble on the streams below the dams
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login