Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite bears appear smarter than the average camper

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yosemite bears appear smarter than the average camper
August 26, 2009 08:55PM
avatar Re: Yosemite bears appear smarter than the average camper
August 26, 2009 09:17PM
The guy with the camera couldn't chase the bear away before he got the food? Sheesh!
August 27, 2009 10:08AM
eeek
The guy with the camera couldn't chase the bear away before he got the food? Sheesh!
Once someone told me it was rude to open and close a bear box too often because of the noise (quite a few squeak too) it makes. My understanding is that it should be more about the keeping the bears from getting human food than about disturbing people. The NPS specifically instructs people not to worry about waking people up if needed to scare off a bear.

I noticed a lot of bear boxes left open and coolers left out on my last visit. I think they figured it was daytime so it shouldn't be a problem. I've heard too many stories of "sneak attacks" even in broad daylight. I was also around when a bear snatched away a teen's backpack when he left it alone for under 10 seconds - although that was a night.
August 26, 2009 10:37PM
He couldn't edit the video either!
August 27, 2009 01:24AM
The bear seems to be getting bigger since the last time I saw her. She was very thin about a month ago but seems to be getting a good amount of human food. We saw her come through the campground about 4 days in a row. Rangers said she was about 3-4 years old.
August 27, 2009 01:31AM
Javmp
The bear seems to be getting bigger since the last time I saw her. She was very thin about a month ago but seems to be getting a good amount of human food. We saw her come through the campground about 4 days in a row. Rangers said she was about 3-4 years old.

They're supposed to start the summer thin. winking smiley
August 27, 2009 08:16AM
It's obvious most of the Granite is smarter than the average camper.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login