Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (54% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Mammoth Peak

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

August 31, 2009 06:08AM
You can see this in Google Earth in a month or so...
Sat. Aug 29, 2009

tongue sticking out smiley

Here's the reason that pretty much sealed the deal that I HAD to go up it.
(I'm more into marking off lakes than peaks to be honest)

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_wmJl-1sUHJU/SpvHpzAceeI/AAAAAAAAIcU/k2G7w7EFWrU/s720/P1070996.JPG
August 31, 2009 07:56AM
Google Earth in a month or so? You are optomistic.

Jim
December 02, 2009 09:23PM
tomdisco

Jim

3 months it took. Geez.

I've given up on trying to correct images.
I think a few of mine got not taken due to other peeps incorrect locations.
O well.. Time to put some more pinkies up ...
December 03, 2009 12:38PM
bill-e-g
tomdisco

Jim

3 months it took. Geez.

I've given up on trying to correct images.
I think a few of mine got not taken due to other peeps incorrect locations.
O well.. Time to put some more pinkies up ...

Yes, my photos from July just showed up in mid-November after submitting in late August. There were two missing ones I took of Indian Rock, including an unusual one from the back side, that do not appear on Google Earth. I wonder if they managed to locate them somewhere in California?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2009 12:38PM by tomdisco.
December 03, 2009 01:28PM
tomdisco
Yes, my photos from July just showed up in mid-November after submitting in late August. There were two missing ones I took of Indian Rock, including an unusual one from the back side, that do not appear on Google Earth. I wonder if they managed to locate them somewhere in California?

starmaster,
I found your backside photo at the correct location along with the closeup. Very nice.
December 03, 2009 04:19PM
bill-e-g
tomdisco

starmaster,
I found your backside photo at the correct location along with the closeup. Very nice.

OK, I guess they had a few left to position. It was not there when I first checked a few days ago. Thanks.

Jim
December 17, 2009 07:06AM
tomdisco
bill-e-g
tomdisco

starmaster,

OK, I guess they had a few left to position. It was not there when I first checked a few days ago. Thanks.

Jim

I just was doing some planning... and looked again. Actually Jim your photos are in the incorrect location.
Indian Rock is not the location of the Natural Arch. The Natural Arch is downhill from Indian Rock proper.
Just thought you'd like to know.
December 17, 2009 09:26AM
bill-e-g
tomdisco
bill-e-g
tomdisco

starmaster,

Jim

I just was doing some planning... and looked again. Actually Jim your photos are in the incorrect location.
Indian Rock is not the location of the Natural Arch. The Natural Arch is downhill from Indian Rock proper.

Indian Rock proper is almost due north of the Natural Arch - approx. 0.4 mi. distant and 100+ ft. higher.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2009 09:47AM by szalkowski.
December 17, 2009 04:54PM
bill-e-g
tomdisco
bill-e-g
tomdisco

starmaster,

Jim

That's what I get for believing what somebody else posted for a photo description on another site I ran across on Google. Also, a trail book I have describes it as Indian Rock(Arch).
December 20, 2009 10:18AM
tomdisco
bill-e-g
tomdisco
bill-e-g
tomdisco

starmaster,

Jim

That's what I get for believing what somebody else posted for a photo description on another site I ran across on Google. Also, a trail book I have describes it as Indian Rock(Arch).

O.K., today I repositioned the two photos of the Arch which were inadvertantly placed at Indian Rock and edited the title of all 4 photos posted regarding the Arch. Now let's see how many months it takes to see the change on Google Earth. I'm guessing March! Thank you for bringing this to may attention.

Jim (starmaster on Panoramio)
August 31, 2009 03:43PM
I think the next update is Sept. 3. So you can see the bird atop Red Peak then along with a few other places.
So... unfortunately this one probably won't show up until November.

Didn't see a single Marmot on this trip. Quite a number of deer.. and some Pika screeching... though.
August 31, 2009 03:47PM
bill-e-g
Didn't see a single Marmot on this trip.

But they saw you!
August 31, 2009 04:09PM
Perhaps... but I think their leader may have called off the troups.

There is a good chance there could be a changing of the guard in TM.
... from Marmot Dome to Chick-on Dome...
We'll see... if all goes as planned... Chick-on on Matthes Crest followed by
Marmot Dome take-over.
August 31, 2009 06:41PM
Just keep that bird away from Marmot Rock.

Jim
August 31, 2009 09:02PM
tomdisco
Just keep that bird away from Marmot Rock.

Hmmm.... Interesting.... Very Interesting....

Never been up Ragged Peak...
September 01, 2009 07:02AM
Why, thank you Bob. Yes, the Kuna Crest IS spectacular.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login