Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Camping near Clouds Rest

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Camping near Clouds Rest
September 06, 2009 04:36PM
I am backpacking from happy Isles to Tuolumne Meadows via the JMT then back down to Vogelsang and Merced Lake i have a pass through permit and on the first night of my trip i want to stay as close to Clouds Rest as possible so i could hike it the next morning coming from the Happy Isles trail head where would be a good spot other than LYV to camp i would need a place where i could sleep the night before then leave my tent and 45 pounds of gear behind while i hike CR and also i have reserved a permit, what would i need to pick it up at the wilderness center in Yosemite Valley because im going alone and im only 16 THANKS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2009 04:37PM by fliflet.
avatar Re: Camping near Clouds Rest
September 06, 2009 05:08PM
There's a big site near the JMT/Cloud's Rest trail junction.
September 07, 2009 07:05AM
fliflet
I am backpacking from happy Isles to Tuolumne Meadows via the JMT then back down to Vogelsang and Merced Lake i have a pass through permit and on the first night of my trip i want to stay as close to Clouds Rest as possible so i could hike it the next morning coming from the Happy Isles trail head where would be a good spot other than LYV to camp i would need a place where i could sleep the night before then leave my tent and 45 pounds of gear behind while i hike CR and also i have reserved a permit, what would i need to pick it up at the wilderness center in Yosemite Valley because im going alone and im only 16 THANKS

I appreciate your enthusiam and desire for adventure, but I guess my opinion would be that it would be far safer for you to travel with some companionship on your first trip into the backcountry especially as we get towards fall/winter with increased risk of snow storms and fewer backpackers on the trails.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2009 07:30AM by Frank Furter.
September 08, 2009 06:18AM
I'd agree with Hot Dog, going alone at 16 may not be the best idea.
Are your parents fully aware of your plans? How many days are you planning to take?
I'm not assuming anything so:
What experience do you have? Have you done anything like this before? Who was with you?
When are you going?

You definitely want to have a tent just in case of a freak snow storm. Be very prepared for the cold.
From the wilderness center, if you don't have one, you'll need to rent a bear can... and to do
this I believe you need a credit card. Other than that just the wilderness permit.
Since you have a pass-thru you will want to go to the CR/JMT junction and camp on night 1.
There is water there and alot of places to pitch your tent.

Unless you've done this before it will probably be alot harder than you are thinking and will
take you much longer than you think.
Tell your parents the exact route you are going to take and stick to it. Stay on the trail.

My last question is: Do you know how to write a sentence?

smiling smiley

Be safe. The mountains will be there all your life.
September 08, 2009 11:28AM
bill-e-g
From the wilderness center, if you don't have one, you'll need to rent a bear can... and to do
this I believe you need a credit card. Other than that just the wilderness permit.
Since you have a pass-thru you will want to go to the CR/JMT junction and camp on night 1.
There is water there and alot of places to pitch your tent.
A cash deposit can be left for bear canister rental.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bearcanrentals.htm

Bear Canister Rentals
You can rent a Garcia Backpackers' Cache 812 canister from any staffed wilderness permit station. The cost is $5 (for up to two weeks) with a $65 deposit (cash or credit card only).
September 08, 2009 06:57PM
I've seen this scenario before on another forum. Do they even give permits to minors?

You will need to stay wherever you specified on the permit as your first night. If that's LYV, that's where you stay. If you got a pass through to Sunrise, the spot on the Clouds Rest intersection will do.

I'm going to also suggest that you don't go alone. It's getting on into fall, and weather becomes less predictable. You'll need to be ready for lower temps and sudden rain or snow.
September 08, 2009 07:23PM
AlmostThere
I've seen this scenario before on another forum. Do they even give permits to minors?

There's no age restriction that I can find.
September 08, 2009 07:42PM
y_p_w
AlmostThere

There's no age restriction that I can find.

Yeah, I looked - and I've never been carded once despite my youthful appearance. eye rolling smiley tongue sticking out smiley
September 09, 2009 01:04PM
So there's nuttin' in the Snoopervisors Compoopendium?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login