Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Yosemite National Park to Re-Open Big Oak Flat Road at 5:00 pm Tuesday, September 8

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yosemite National Park to Re-Open Big Oak Flat Road at 5:00 pm Tuesday, September 8
September 07, 2009 06:38PM
Yosemite National Park to Re-Open Big Oak Flat Road at 5:00 pm Tuesday, September 8
Date: September 7, 2009

Yosemite National Park Acting Superintendent Dave Uberuaga announces that the Big Oak Flat Road from Crane Flat to the El Portal Road will re-open at 5:00 pm Tuesday, September 8. The road, which has been closed since Wednesday, August 26 due to the Big Meadow Fire, allows visitors to enter Yosemite Valley via Highway 120 from Groveland.

“Working under difficult conditions, the fire crews demonstrated ingenuity, determination, and painstaking attention to safety in finishing the task of making the Big Oak Flat Road through Yosemite National Park safe again for travelers,” stated Uberuaga.

Drivers are advised to exercise caution when the road re-opens due to smoke on the road from vegetation still burning inside the fire area. In addition, burned areas adjacent to the road remain closed to the public by order of the Superintendent as provided in 36 CFR 1.5. Tamarack and Crane Flat Campgrounds remain closed, as do the following trails: Old Big Oak Flat Trailhead to El Capitan; Rockslides to El Capitan; and Tamarack Creek to El Capitan.
avatar Re: Yosemite National Park to Re-Open Big Oak Flat Road at 5:00 pm Tuesday, September 8
September 07, 2009 06:48PM
That'll be a depressing drive next time I'm down there... but there's hope, I usually go when snow covers everything...
avatar Re: Yosemite National Park to Re-Open Big Oak Flat Road at 5:00 pm Tuesday, September 8
September 07, 2009 06:51PM
Vince
That'll be a depressing drive next time I'm down there... but there's hope, I usually go when snow covers everything...

It should be great next May.
September 07, 2009 07:43PM
eeek
Vince

It should be great next May.

Hopefully the fire will get some hibernating gems to come out and play smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login