Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: New Yosemite quarter

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

September 09, 2009 10:26AM
Available in 2010, and the release is in the order in which the site became a federal protected area.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/NSQuartersProgram/index.cfm?flash=yes&action=siteRegister

I haven't seen anything that indicates what the design will be.
September 09, 2009 10:54AM
It does bring up the old controversy about first national park. Hot Springs vs Yellowstone vs Yosemite.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
September 09, 2009 11:14AM
Frank Furter
It does bring up the old controversy about first national park. Hot Springs vs Yellowstone vs Yosemite.

That's easy. Yellowstone was the first national park to be run by the federal government. Yosemite was the first area designated by the federal government as a scenic/wild area to be preserved, but was handed over to the State of California. Yosemite laid the groundwork for protection of wild/scenic areas.

Hot Springs is really different. It was set aside to essentially protect mineral rights as a public asset. It became a federal reservation, but it was hardly what I'd think of as a national park until officially designated as such. I'm not even sure that Hot Springs was the first "federal reservation" by the US government.
September 09, 2009 11:50AM
y_p_w
Frank Furter

That's easy. Yellowstone was the first national park to be run by the federal government. Yosemite was the first area designated by the federal government as a scenic/wild area to be preserved, but was handed over to the State of California. Yosemite laid the groundwork for protection of wild/scenic areas.

Hot Springs is really different. It was set aside to essentially protect mineral rights as a public asset. It became a federal reservation, but it was hardly what I'd think of as a national park until officially designated as such. I'm not even sure that Hot Springs was the first "federal reservation" by the US government.

Maybe not so easy, from your reference:

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
September 09, 2009 11:58AM
Frank Furter
y_p_w
Frank Furter

Maybe not so easy, from your reference:

Yeah - but it wasn't designated a National Park until the 1920s. It had been federal land since the 1800s.

I rather think of Hot Springs as a piece of land that (let's say) the BLM (or its predecessors) operated primarily for mineral extraction but later transferred to the NPS. It certainly wasn't a national park back when it became federal property.
September 09, 2009 12:49PM
I'm curious about the Yosemite design, since we already have a state quarter with Half Dome and John Muir on them...
September 09, 2009 01:02PM
Vince
I'm curious about the Yosemite design, since we already have a state quarter with Half Dome and John Muir on them...

We?
September 09, 2009 02:09PM
szalkowski
Vince

We?

Well - as citizens of the US, the design is in the public domain. I'd say we already have a design although the condor has to go.

I'm guessing the new image will probably be a composite with El Cap, Half Dome, Yosemite Falls, and maybe a sequoia tree.
September 09, 2009 02:25PM
y_p_w
szalkowski
Vince

We?

Well - as citizens of the US, the design is in the public domain. I'd say we already have a design although the condor has to go.

I'm guessing the new image will probably be a composite with El Cap, Half Dome, Yosemite Falls, and maybe a sequoia tree.

Given Vince's aversion to the federal government, it is surprising that he identifies with or uses its currency.
September 09, 2009 05:14PM
How about an image of Quarter Dome?

-- Carl Sagan
September 09, 2009 05:34PM
Frank Furter

Are you saying Half Dome should be saved for replacing JFK?
September 09, 2009 05:59PM
eeek
Frank Furter

We could resolve the whole SubDome vs Quarter Dome controversy (one on each side). We already have half dome on the california quarter.
Alternatively, a bear exploring an ice chest would be a good Yosemite theme.

-- Carl Sagan
September 09, 2009 06:32PM
Frank Furter
eeek
Frank Furter

We could resolve the whole SubDome vs Quarter Dome controversy (one on each side). We already have half dome on the california quarter.
Alternatively, a bear exploring an ice chest would be a good Yosemite theme.

You mean a quarter with a what not to do? LOL
September 09, 2009 01:02PM
I like Twinkies.
September 09, 2009 10:24PM
Date: Sept 9, 2009
New Quarters to Feature National Parks and National Wildlife Refuges
50 DOI Sites Selected for the America the Beautiful Quarters™ Program

WASHINGTON, DC -- Hot Springs, Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Grand Canyon National Parks will be the first sites commemorated in a new quarter-dollar program announced today by the U.S. Mint.

Starting in April of 2010, the America the Beautiful Quarters Program will begin producing quarters with reverse (tails side) designs showcasing a national park or other federally preserved area from each state, U.S. territory, and the District of Columbia.

“The new quarter program recognizes that public places of inspiration and recreation have always been important to Americans,” said Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar. “The quarters highlight the diversity and magnificence of 48 National Park Service sites and two U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service refuges cared for by the Department of the Interior as well as six national forests administered by the Department of Agriculture. Hopefully the coins will encourage people to learn more about each area and its significance to our heritage.”

A new quarter will be introduced approximately every 10 weeks for eleven years. The 56 coins will be issued sequentially in the order in which the featured location was first placed under the care of the federal government.

The first, Hot Springs National Park, was established as Hot Springs Reservation in 1832 and later became a national park. Yellowstone National Park was established in 1872, followed by Yosemite in 1890 and the Grand Canyon in 1893.

Congress authorized the America’s Beautiful National Parks Quarter Dollar Coin Act of 2008 to celebrate the nation’s legacy of conservation. The legislation recalls noteworthy steps in the nation’s preservation movement and quotes Theodore Roosevelt who said that nothing short of defending this country in wartime “compares in importance with the great central task of leaving this land even a better land for our descendents than it is for us.”

Salazar and the United States Mint selected the places based on recommendations from the governor or chief executive of each jurisdiction. Secretary of the Treasury Timothy F. Geithner approved the list on August 25, 2009.

In addition to the coins for circulation, the Mint will produce collectable items including proof sets, silver proof sets, a five ounce silver bullion coin, coin bags, and coin rolls for each quarter. For more information about the America the Beautiful Quarters Program, please visit http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/NSQuartersProgram/index.cfm.
September 10, 2009 09:04AM
This just in. Secretary Salazar has suggested use of a Yosemite scene (from unknown source) depicting a stuffed chicken on top of Mt. Dana. The Congress and Senate are debating this issue as soon as they return from their lunch break.

Jim
September 10, 2009 02:53PM
One thing's for sure, the new quarter will not include the YV chapel.

BTW, isn't Half Dome about 80 percent still there?

(photo from wikimedia commons)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2009 02:55PM by Vince.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login