Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (88% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Sierra Nevada Birds Move In Response To Warmer, Wetter Climate

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Sierra Nevada Birds Move In Response To Warmer, Wetter Climate
October 04, 2009 02:01PM
ScienceDaily (Oct. 4, 2009) — If the climate is not quite right, birds will up and move rather than stick around and sweat it out, according to a new study led by biologists at the University of California, Berkeley.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090914151625.htm
avatar Re: Sierra Nevada Birds Move In Response To Warmer, Wetter Climate
October 04, 2009 03:55PM
Might by why, after hundreds of millions of years of evolution, birds have wings.
avatar Re: Sierra Nevada Birds Move In Response To Warmer, Wetter Climate
October 04, 2009 04:31PM
Vince
Might by why, after hundreds of millions of years of evolution, birds have wings.

I'm sure it's only one of many reasons.
Re: Sierra Nevada Birds Move In Response To Warmer, Wetter Climate
October 05, 2009 08:12AM
eeek
Vince

I'm sure it's only one of many reasons.

Yeah, I think most birds have wings because it has been favorable to them in quite a few different ways...

In fact, the only places where birds **do not** have functional wings is where they don't really need them to avoid serious enemies or weather changes. Like kiwis, ostriches, emus, cassowaries, moas, dodos and so forth. In these cases, since the advent of flying dinosaurs, the evolution of wings for these creatures has been "backwards" so to speak, or more like "convergent evolution" where species at variance have grown to be more like each other - in these few cases, birds have perhaps grown to be like other more earthbound critters.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login