Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Toilets at Little Yosemite Valley

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Toilets at Little Yosemite Valley
October 19, 2009 01:33PM
The composting toilet facilities at the campground in Little Yosemite Valley will be temporarily closed for repairs on October 20-21. During this closure, human waste must be buried not less than 6 inches deep and greater than 100 feet away from any water source.
avatar Re: Toilets at Little Yosemite Valley
October 19, 2009 06:40PM
Like that's gonna happen.

Old Dude
October 19, 2009 09:18PM
They'll just wait until they're on the trail to Clouds Rest and walk ten feet off the trail like everyone else.
October 20, 2009 01:33PM
And some people a good with not filtering water, just find some and drink up after dipping with a proper sierra cup.

Old Dude
October 23, 2009 09:18AM
mrcondron
And some people a good with not filtering water, just find some and drink up after dipping with a proper sierra cup.

Isn't that kind of a matter of judgment...what water requires filtering and what doesn't? If people make stupid decisions and drink out of a cattle bathtub, the consequences are generally directly applied...and cause and effect are limited to the persons making that decision.

I'm not sure what the LYV toilets being closed has to do with filtering water from some river high in the Sierra...is that where people go if there's no toilet? If so, that's pretty disgusting, even most animals have the sense not to foul their own drinking water or food.

Some folks feel 'naked' if their health insurance may not have high enough catastrophic coverage, and follow all the rules and visit their doctor monthly to get all the latest medications to treat and prevent whatever they have or feel threatened about. I'm sure they filter their water too, and probably treat it with iodine to boot. Others haven't been to a doctor in 50 years and are healthy and active with no health issues. If they should happen to drink unfiltered water from a source they evaluate, using their own criteria, and consider to be reasonably safe, and they don't get sick, are they still fools? Hmmm...

Personally, I filter everything. Tap water, you never know what's happened since it left the chlorination plant, and you never know if the people there did the job right, or what if they were off sick? Even packaged liquids, milk, juice, you never know, I filter it all, and then dump in twice the prescribed iodine just to be sure, then I stir it with a UV pen. Got to stop now, it's hard to type with these latex gloves on.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
October 23, 2009 09:49AM
Gotta hand it to you. Your eyesight must be pretty good if you can see all the little buggers swimming around and that you know which are good and which are bad.

It's really not necessary to do all the filtering that you relate though. Just be leery of water that is downstream of where any mammal has defecated.

Check out liver flukes.

Old Dude
October 23, 2009 09:22PM
mrcondron
Check out liver flukes.

I've had whale flukes, never tried liver flukes, I'll put it on my list.

I just never knew anybody who drinks whatever water they find laying around, so wondered who these people were.

On the other hand, going through Bakersfield we ran across a nice place that had sign on all the water spouts "do not drink, not potable water, hand washing only, by order of health dept., etc.", and that was from normal faucets. What about before the inspectors came and discovered the problem? What if the sign fell off? What if they forgot a faucet? Filter your faucet water. And do filters REALLY get everything? Maybe distilling is the only safe way...

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login