Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: The Yosemite Pizza Bribery Caper

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

The Yosemite Pizza Bribery Caper
October 20, 2009 05:33PM
Bee, SteveC & I returned from the WhitneyPortalStoreMessageBoard group hike on Sunday morning.

We left Lone Pine early, and arrived at the Whoa Nellie Deli at 9ish so that Bee could get a slice of pizza.

It was way early for slices, so Bee sweet-talked them into making us an entire pizza.

We had to wait 20 minutes, but made up for that by eating on the go.

So we landed at the Tioga gate with the Old Dude Pass, & pizza between Steve & Bee on the front console.

Rangerette at the booth spotted it & breathed out Pizzaaaaaaa!!!???

We asked her if she would like a slice & she grabbed a newspaper & held it reverently forward.

And allowed us to pass through.

So, does hot pizza at 10ish in the morning at 8800 feet constitute federal employee bribery or an illegal gratuity?

WPSMBGH: http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=66712&page=1&fpart=1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2009 11:46PM by Bee.
avatar Re: The Yosemite Pizza Bribery Caper
October 20, 2009 05:36PM

So, does hot pizza at 10ish in the morning at 8800 feet

I didn't feel a quake. How did the pass lose over 1000 feet? Head roll
October 20, 2009 05:50PM
I'm from Oz, and any elevation over 7328 is an out of range error?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2009 05:56PM by wagga.
October 20, 2009 06:25PM
eeek

So, does hot pizza at 10ish in the morning at 8800 feet

I didn't feel a quake. How did the pass lose over 1000 feet? Head roll

8800 ft. MSE (Moccasin Standard Elevation)

[Measured from the main floor of the courthouse in Beautiful Downtown Moccasin.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2009 06:31PM by szalkowski.
October 20, 2009 06:53PM
Bribery or illegal gratuity? wink

I think you ran into one particular young lady ranger that I met in July at that gate. She is one of the nicest people in the park and a credit to the ranger contingent.

Jim
October 20, 2009 07:12PM
Bribery? As you got in on a Old Dude Pass, what was the quid pro quo?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
October 20, 2009 07:27PM
Frank Furter
Bribery? As you got in on a Old Dude Pass, what was the quid pro quo?

Or could it be just being nice?
October 21, 2009 06:35AM
October 20, 2009 09:14PM
This is an observation only. Any woman who posts on a place like this, or Whitney board, will be immediately smothered by a bunch of guys who can't handle a woman who talks on a chat board and they all horn up and eventually upset the women. There is precedent.
October 20, 2009 10:20PM
Vince
This is an observation only. Any woman who posts on a place like this, or Whitney board, will be immediately smothered by a bunch of guys who can't handle a woman who talks on a chat board and they all horn up and eventually upset the women. There is precedent.

The view from Nevada?

Here in California, we consider both women and men to be people.
October 23, 2009 09:29AM
Vince

Actually, I think you have a valid point, except for the 'upset' part. Generally what happens is the guys fall all over themselves trying to be clever or funny, while the woman is pedestaled to hero status, after which most every thread becomes a contest to see who can weasel in a reference to the above-mentioned 'hero' without making it too obvious. And yes, there is precedent in many places; the Whitney board probably being the prime example.

...and then the stuffed animals invade...

Gary
October 23, 2009 10:01AM
Gary you are looking foolish. Where does the bitterness come from? Can't people have fun and maybe be a bit silly sometimes? Are public forums akin to Carthusian monkage?

Old Dude
October 23, 2009 05:08PM
Sierrafan
Vince
...... Generally what happens is the guys fall all over themselves trying to be clever or funny, while the woman is pedestaled to hero status, after which most every thread becomes a contest to see who can weasel in a reference to the above-mentioned 'hero' without making it too obvious.
Gary

....that would be heroine
October 25, 2009 03:08PM
Bee
....that would be heroine

Drugs were involved too?
October 25, 2009 03:25PM
eeeeeeeeeek, you should be able to tell the difference.

Old Dude
October 26, 2009 07:36PM
Sierrafan
Vince

Actually, I think you have a valid point, except for the 'upset' part. Generally what happens is the guys fall all over themselves trying to be clever or funny, while the woman is pedestaled to hero status, after which most every thread becomes a contest to see who can weasel in a reference to the above-mentioned 'hero' without making it too obvious. And yes, there is precedent in many places; the Whitney board probably being the prime example.

...and then the stuffed animals invade...

Gary

Ginny Giardia is not a stuffed animal. She is a stuffed flagellated protozoan parasite.

As for the any other silliness: try a new hat.
October 20, 2009 09:45PM
UMMMMM.....Wagga is a BOY! Hey, vince, didja see my E-ledge pictures. (probably not, the thread got buried with nary a comment)

Bee OUT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2009 10:42PM by Bee.
October 21, 2009 06:27PM
Bee
UMMMMM.....Wagga is a BOY! Hey, vince, didja see my E-ledge pictures. (probably not, the thread got buried with nary a comment)

Bee OUT

Hard to tell girls from boys with that much clothing on?
October 21, 2009 07:03PM
Bee
Hey, vince, didja see my E-ledge pictures. (probably not, the thread got buried with nary a comment)

Bee OUT

Yeah just looked at them, brought back that tingly feeling I had my first (and only) climb up the ledges. I luckily had a couple guides to help me up, but I climbed back down alone and all I could think of was "I'm soooo dead." But it was fine once I relocated the route. The scariest part is all the loose decomposed granite on the ledges.
October 26, 2009 09:12PM
Vince
Bee
Hey, vince, didja see my E-ledge pictures. (probably not, the thread got buried with nary a comment)

Bee OUT

Yeah just looked at them, brought back that tingly feeling I had my first (and only) climb up the ledges. I luckily had a couple guides to help me up, but I climbed back down alone and all I could think of was "I'm soooo dead." But it was fine once I relocated the route. The scariest part is all the loose decomposed granite on the ledges.

I am going to pursue getting ahold of some pictures that

A. show a line on the wall marking out the whole E-ledge route

B. show a ledge-by-ledge route as they change directions

I really want to be able to manage this route by myself, and I have just enough residual memory of it, so that if I cyber walked the route, I might remember it for the next time.

B

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2009 09:13PM by Bee.
October 21, 2009 03:43PM
Let me get this straight:
three, very probably seedy-looking people, coming from the direction of Nevada, and claiming to have a restaurant-made, freshly-baked pizza at 10 AM on a Sunday morning.

Sounds like probable cause for search and seizure to me. You’re lucky that she only took one piece for analysis and didn’t bring out the drug-sniffing bears to disassemble your vehicle.

Also damn fortunate that you were not in a Bronco or the lot of you would have been undoubtedly incarcerated in a bear trap holding cell until you could be transported down to the valley to undergo a psychiatric examination on Monday morning.
October 21, 2009 03:44PM
szalkowski
undergo a psychiatric examination on Monday morning.

And after seeing the pictures of the "hike" they did...
October 21, 2009 06:22PM
We were in a 'Burb -- a model of vehicle KNOWN to transport all sorts of chick-ons, goats, and other sorts of odds and ends in the animal kingdom. Truly cause for suspect in the case of perhaps making off with the pizza (in the vein of Yogi Bear)

Bee Cowboy
October 21, 2009 07:30PM
Bee
We were in a 'Burb -- a model of vehicle KNOWN to transport all sorts of chick-ons, goats, and other sorts of odds and ends in the animal kingdom. Truly cause for suspect in the case of perhaps making off with the pizza (in the vein of Yogi Bear)

Same vehicle, military version:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzik
October 21, 2009 07:33PM
Whut?

Old Dude
October 22, 2009 10:09AM
szalkowski
three, very probably seedy-looking people, coming from the direction of Nevada, and claiming to have a restaurant-made, freshly-baked pizza at 10 AM on a Sunday morning.

Sounds like probable cause for search and seizure to me. You’re lucky that she only took one piece for analysis and didn’t bring out the drug-sniffing bears to disassemble your vehicle.

Also damn fortunate that you were not in a Bronco or the lot of you would have been undoubtedly incarcerated in a bear trap holding cell until you could be transported down to the valley to undergo a psychiatric examination on Monday morning.

Pleased to report that the last bit of evidence has been disposed of.
October 22, 2009 07:06PM
wagga
szalkowski

Pleased to report that the last bit of evidence has been disposed of.

So everything came out ok in the end?
October 23, 2009 06:42AM
What are you getting at? The recycling truck came & took away the box.
October 25, 2009 03:15PM
wagga

Maybe bee can explain it. Grinning Devil
October 25, 2009 03:28PM
Wagga is from sortta down under. They do things in the opposite order. Gravity and all you know.

Old Dude
October 25, 2009 09:18PM
eeek
wagga

Maybe bee can explain it. Grinning Devil

Boys, boys, boys. Wagga has much of the same literal sensibilities that I do (must have something to do with the imperial-influenced language barrier) when it comes to language, so you are going to have to be more creative with the puns!!!

Wagga, there is frequent reference to potty humor, so when in doubt, it probably has SOMEthing to do with elimination....eye rolling smiley

(uh-oh -- better get ready to press the moderator button, eeek!)

B
October 26, 2009 12:43PM
wagga,

In case you are not sure what Bee is referring to, Mike (mrcondron) has a handy instruction sheet. I will say no more or Bee will come gunning for me.

Jim
October 26, 2009 04:06PM
tomdisco
wagga,

In case you are not sure what Bee is referring to, Mike (mrcondron) has a handy instruction sheet. I will say no more or Bee will come gunning for me.

Jim

OK, mrcondom, I'm asking. Of course, it's for the benefit of the other noobs, too.
October 26, 2009 06:23PM
Spoiler note: If you are not from down under do not scroll down to the explanation of eeek's joke.

Disposed of = eaten
came out OK = crapped
end = arse

ergo: eaten, crapped with no problems, out an arse finally

Old Dude

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2009 06:44PM by mrcondron.
October 26, 2009 06:40PM
mrcondron
Disposed of = eaten
came out OK = crapped
end = arse

ergo: eaten, crapped with no problems, out an arse finally

Sigh. It was a perfectly good joke and now ruined by being explained.
October 26, 2009 08:39PM
wagga
tomdisco
wagga,

Jim

OK, mrcondom, I'm asking. Of course, it's for the benefit of the other noobs, too.

Wagga, go take a peekie at Mike's personal profile -- it explains the "MR" rather humourously!

B
October 26, 2009 08:43PM

What did I do to get this??

Old Dude
October 28, 2009 02:31PM
Just noticed this. You didn't do anything. I did dydlexia. Or poor typing or something.
October 28, 2009 02:38PM
wagga
Just noticed this. You didn't do anything. I did dydlexia. Or poor typing or something.

D.A.M. = Mothers Against Dyslexia
October 28, 2009 02:48PM
DAMM = Drunks Against Mad Mothers
October 28, 2009 04:49PM
Wagga,
Not a prolbem.

Old Dude
November 29, 2009 03:38PM
From a recent Column 8 (http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/column8/)

Yesterday's awful joke, about the agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lay awake wondering if there was a dog, brings an even worse offering, from alleged cartoonist Bill Leak of Hardys Bay. "Forget the insomniac – what about the dyslexic devil worshipper who sold his soul to Santa?"
October 26, 2009 08:40PM
tomdisco
wagga,

Jim

Better watchit, Smeegle, otherwise we will have to bring back the old avitar smiling smiley

B
October 27, 2009 06:43PM
Bee
tomdisco
wagga,

Jim

Better watchit, Smeegle, otherwise we will have to bring back the old avitar smiling smiley

B

MEEE!! SMEEGLE?? SMEEGLE never did anything! SMEEGLE is innocent! How could you say such a thing about SMEEGLE? Such lies! See! See! She lies about SMEEGLE! She hates SMEEGLE. She will say anything to make SMEEGLE look bad. Don't believe her.Grinning Devil

Jim
October 26, 2009 04:15PM
Bee
wagga has much of the same literal sensibilities that I do B

When I see a parking space labeled "compact" - I expect to see a car parked there after the crushing process.

And near here there is a garage labeled "911" - no Porsche, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2009 04:16PM by wagga.
October 23, 2009 01:07AM
Case closed on a chick posting on a web board.
October 23, 2009 06:44AM
Vince
Case closed on a chick posting on a web board.

Is it true that you are from Nevada?
October 26, 2009 07:37PM
On my way to finding the "Northern Exposure" moose (see “Mooses Come Walking” thread in the General Discussion forum), I happened to go through the Oz section in my bookmarks:

Welcome to the forum and
HAPPY WOMBAT DAY (belated)

(22 October... for all the Yanks reading this forum.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2009 07:39PM by szalkowski.
October 26, 2009 07:52PM
But do they have a woobleboard?

October 26, 2009 10:03PM
Sum1 call LLCO (Ladies Love Chick-on) ?

(don't worrie Mikie I gotz u "covered" )

Chick-on is looking at you!
October 26, 2009 11:12PM
Chickey baby, is that Emerald Bay in the background?

B
October 26, 2009 11:15PM
I think it's Lake Tahoe. (lets see what happens)

Old Dude
October 26, 2009 11:20PM
mrcondron

Uh, yeah, butt Emerald Bay is a specific part of Tahoe....I think that thats a private lakie above the Bay, if I guess correctly.
October 26, 2009 11:22PM
Did you hold the comma after butt out on purpose so as not to get too personal?

Old Dude
October 26, 2009 11:27PM
mrcondron
Did you hold the comma after butt out on purpose so as not to get too personal?

Yes smiling smiley I did not want you to think that I was calling YOU a butt...! I was using the word in another conversation and it just sorta slipped out...

B
October 27, 2009 06:19AM
Bee
mrcondron

Uh, yeah, butt Emerald Bay is a specific part of Tahoe....I think that thats a private lakie above the Bay, if I guess correctly.

Hey booties!!! (plurality of butt)

Datz Mt. Tallac (TUH-LOCK) looking NE
Cascade Lake, Emerald Bay/Lake Tahoe

Fallen Leaf Lake (not pictured) is down to the right.

y_p_w had a picky of this with Tallac Brew Keg.
(which, by the way, you would think would be everywhere ... but isn't)
And that old dude with the Civil War hat had this as
one of the Z peakies to climb. (me tinks u should climb dem all)

Regarding Postholing... Love to hike on snow...
it's sorta amusing when walking on snow and the Old Dude is
behind post holing left and right... "what da problem mrcondron?".

Chickon Boo

October 27, 2009 07:26AM
You know, Chick-on, that's about when I start visualizing how good you would look in a roaster... Feed ME!

Mmm... nom nom nom nom nom...

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
October 27, 2009 08:20AM
MooseTracks
You know, Chick-on, that's about when I start visualizing how good you would look in a roaster... Feed ME!

Mmm... nom nom nom nom nom...

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I already gotz a nice tan.

Itz ok. I chair my stash o food wit u. I got plenty after that Old Dude ate those berries.

tongue sticking out smiley

(help me up THE Starr King and you can have my left leg dough)
(me no know "rock climbing" with ropes)

October 27, 2009 08:39AM
Starr King can be gained by other than the traditional 5.3 route. To the right of the trad route you can see a very slightly raised
ridge, which has a slightly rougher surface. Take the rope around the shoulders, back up 20 or so feet on the opposite side of the saddle,
then run down across the saddle & up. Full tilt. You'll stall out just above the belay spot. Drop rope for the rest of the party.

Ask me how I know.
October 27, 2009 09:10PM
wagga
Starr King can be gained by other than the traditional 5.3 route. To the right of the trad route you can see a very slightly raised
ridge, which has a slightly rougher surface. Take the rope around the shoulders, back up 20 or so feet on the opposite side of the saddle,
then run down across the saddle & up. Full tilt. You'll stall out just above the belay spot. Drop rope for the rest of the party.

Ask me how I know.

berry interesting.

How you know? (I follow directions)

need to go look at photos I took for that ridge...

October 27, 2009 09:50PM
chick-on
wagga

Ask me how I know.

berry interesting.

How you know? (I follow directions)

need to go look at photos I took for that ridge...

Yowza.

Here's one of the photos I took a few years back. I circled the climbers I saw there.
Taken from the 2nd dome (middle one) looking north at Starr King proper.
It looks daunting.

If you could comment more for chick-on boy and myself... much appreciated.
October 27, 2009 10:15PM
That DEFINITELY doesn't look like a "walk-up". Wagga, can you see in Billy's picture where you secured your rope, and where you did the "run-up?"

Laura, is this the route that you have climbed?

QB
October 27, 2009 11:52PM
Bee
Laura, is this the route that you have climbed?

Is there a route left that she hasn't climbed?
October 29, 2009 06:33AM
Oh good lord, gang, I've only been doing this for 3 years!! winking smiley I mean, it's been a BUSY three years...

I've actually only started doing more technical climbing this past summer, so I'm a fresh noob for all that silliness. But I am starting to like it more and more, although I truly enjoy the long walks and scrambles a bit more still. There's just so MUCH to do: now with the snow, my skis are bustin' out of the bag and dying to be used! Then there's the whole ice climbing thing...

I think my buddie Paul went up Starr King a year ago, but the trad route. Hmmm... might beeee on the list for next summer...
October 29, 2009 09:37AM
Did Starr-King via the SE Saddle from the valley floor with Matthew in spring 2005. Approach was long but scenic, followed by bushwhacking and class 3+ friction (west gully approach). Two pitches, about 5.4 - 5.5 at most .. the 5.0 rating is a sandbag. The rappels were sketch with the 50m rope I'd brought .. would definitely bring a skinny 60m if I was doing it again.

http://www.summitpost.org/route/155738/southeast-saddle.html
October 30, 2009 08:05AM
Taken from rhyang's link at summitpost:

"A minimal rack suffices, nuts and a few cams (small to medium size), plus an assortment of slings.
It is a good idea to bring climbing shoes to make the friction climbing more secure (and there's a lot of it)."
October 30, 2009 08:21AM
I've not forgotten the question. Things are really intense work-wise right now.

I have found some TRs & am looking for photos.
October 26, 2009 11:16PM
Too bad Ginny is in New Mexico right now. But I think her sister around here somewhere...

Mmm... Tahoe... Must have snow to ski... <drool>
October 26, 2009 11:21PM
MooseTracks
Too bad Ginny is in New Mexico right now. But I think her sister around here somewhere...

Mmm... Tahoe... Must have snow to ski... <drool>

You sent Ginny on a Field Trip...well, then, I guess that you will just have to go alllllll the way to NM to retrieve her! winking smiley

QB
October 26, 2009 11:29PM
Well, SOMEONE had to keep him company... Bear Head
October 26, 2009 11:53PM
MooseTracks
Must have snow to ski... <drool>

I thought it was "Must have snow to posthole".
October 27, 2009 05:13AM
Meh... I do that in scree, too... Confused
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login