Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Challenge to Our Deerly Held Beliefs

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Challenge to Our Deerly Held Beliefs
October 21, 2009 07:01PM
http://www.uniondemocrat.com/2009101298069/News/Local-News/Oh-deer-Drivers-urged-to-use-caution

Oh deer! Drivers urged to use caution
Written by James Damschroder, The Union Democrat October 12, 2009 11:56 am
Mule deer are beginning their yearly migration from the mountains to the foothills after the recent storm dusted the Sierra Nevada with the season’s first snow.

“The storm came in, and they’re moving down,” said Adam Rich, wildlife biologist with the Stanislaus National Forest’s Summit Ranger District.

---------------------------
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,558621,00.html

Deer Versus Car Accidents Increase
It's deer season. Whether or not you knew that, or even care, you should consider that this is the time of the year when—as the weather changes, hunters are chasing whitetail, and deer are, um, mating—your chances of hitting one of these animals is much higher....

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
avatar Re: Challenge to Our Deerly Held Beliefs
October 21, 2009 07:03PM
Oh, deer!
October 21, 2009 07:08PM
I know how to hit them even when they are not mating. Mine got away.

Jim
October 21, 2009 08:08PM
tomdisco
I know how to hit them even when they are not mating. Mine got away.

So far I've missed hitting any deer. Can't say the same for bear.
October 22, 2009 06:00PM
I hit one near Mono Lake in early July a few years ago. Not a fun experience.

Back in the El Nino global cooling year of 2005 when Reno got about 12 feet of snow for the winter all totaled, the speed limit on I-80 in town was reduced from 65 to 50 to help reduce the slaughter of hungry deer along the freeway. All indications are we'll have something similar this year. Atlantic hurricanes have been almost non-existent this past season (actually the last few) and the Eastern Pacific hurricanes keep trying to jump start. El Nino usually doesn't start till December but we've had a couple early storms already. Should be interesting.
Re: Challenge to Our Deerly Held Beliefs
October 23, 2009 06:50AM
Moosies on line as we speak!

Don't run over our Moosie!
October 23, 2009 07:10AM
wagga
Moosies on line as we speak!

Don't run over our Moosie!

She's on her own. Quit groveling. Sheesh
October 23, 2009 07:20AM
Vince,
You're posting chauvinist slurs.

Old Dude
October 23, 2009 03:09PM
For some reason Bay Area deer are smart enough to live where they have few natural predators (save the occasional mountain lion), there's no hunting, the weather allows for a year-round habitat, and there are ample sources of food (including the petunias that my wife wanted).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login