Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Your favorite homemade backpacking food

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Your favorite homemade backpacking food
October 22, 2009 09:55PM
I just got a dehydrator to try making my own backpacking food. What do you love, what did you hate?
avatar Re: Your favorite homemade backpacking food
October 22, 2009 10:42PM
One of my favorites is easy and filling: mac & cheese.

I dehydrate beans. Have burritos for the first few days; after the tortillas are gone I use the beans as a side dish. Very practical.

I recently found what has already become a favorite: hamburger rocks, : http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=000pEx

Tastes like fresh meat when re-hydrated.

Used this for the first time on my JMT hike this year, and it was a very welcomed addition to my menu.
October 23, 2009 04:26AM
This is thread has grate potential. I looking forward to some souper suggestions!

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
October 23, 2009 05:35AM
Frank Furter
This is thread has grate potential. I looking forward to some souper suggestions!

You jerk! LOL

Jerky. It's easy to make, you can make several batches off one roast, all different flavors.
October 23, 2009 05:50PM
Vince
Frank Furter

You jerk! LOL

Jerky. It's easy to make, you can make several batches off one roast, all different flavors.

What is your favorite? How does it keep while on the trail?
October 23, 2009 07:03PM
sierranomad
One of my favorites is easy and filling: mac & cheese.

I dehydrate beans. Have burritos for the first few days; after the tortillas are gone I use the beans as a side dish. Very practical.

I recently found what has already become a favorite: hamburger rocks, : http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=000pEx

Tastes like fresh meat when re-hydrated.

Used this for the first time on my JMT hike this year, and it was a very welcomed addition to my menu.

Beans? Are we talking a can of refried beans or something you cook up?
October 23, 2009 10:23PM
traildad

Refried beans. MMMmm, MMmmm GOOD!!! And full of protein...and cheap!!
October 25, 2009 02:54PM
sierranomad
traildad

Refried beans. MMMmm, MMmmm GOOD!!! And full of protein...and cheap!!

And extra propulsion for those steep sections of the trail!
Gas Mask
October 25, 2009 06:32PM
Traildad,

Start simple. Do searches for fruit leathers. Do not get discouraged if you over dry them- you'll figure it out. Applesauce and Strawberries is what I have used and I have had crappy to good results (I am not a consistent cook I guess). After this, try sauce leathers (marinara) and go from there.

This book is awesome. You can always add meat to any of these recipes. ----> http://www.amazon.com/Lipsmackin-Vegetarian-Backpackin-Christine-Conners/dp/0762725311
October 25, 2009 06:36PM
Note:

On a what? a six or seven day trip? Mr Catalonian Burro was begging people to eat his "leathers". (more like crisps)

Old Dude
October 25, 2009 06:42PM
Damn it! I knew you'd bring that up. smiling smiley lol.
December 02, 2009 12:10AM
I always make fruit leathers, and I'm ALWAYS sick of them after 2 or 3 days. I too, often end up trying to get other people to take them off my hands.
December 02, 2009 10:34PM
I did an applesauce leather and it was so so. I dried some canned peaches and pears and they were great. My wife really loves the dried banana slices.
December 03, 2009 12:11AM
traildad
I did an applesauce leather and it was so so. I dried some canned peaches and pears and they were great. My wife really loves the dried banana slices.

I remember a tale of a young woman eating dried fruit at snow camp. She wasn't pleased with the outcome.
December 03, 2009 05:10AM
I have been a fan of Pilot Bread and have tried to make an equivalent "hardtack". Anyone have a good recipe?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
December 03, 2009 01:05PM
Frank Furter
I have been a fan of Pilot Bread and have tried to make an equivalent "hardtack". Anyone have a good recipe?

http://www.gone-ta-pott.com/hard_tack_sea_biscuits.html

http://users.lmi.net/mcm20me/20th_Maine/CompG/research/hardtack.htm

Frank, I've only eaten hardtack once on a large schooner on the coast of Maine. They wanted to serve at least some traditional fare to enhance the experience of a sailing schooner. It's OK if you have nothing else to eat. Their principle feature was longevity of storage, not taste. Could have used more salt! OK, maybe some other ingrediants too.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2009 01:11PM by tomdisco.
October 23, 2009 06:27PM
Dehydrate whole meals. There's a book full of ideas called Fork in the Trail. Some of the stuff is better than what I make at home... I like the book because it gives you specific instructions on how to cook it then dehydrate it for optimum results.

If you do fruits, don't forget the lemon juice... keeps 'em from turning brown. And pasta - cook it al dente, then put it on the dehydrator until it feels like you never cooked it. You can then add water on the trail and it comes right back cooked. I've done mac n cheese that way, as well as butterfly, elbows, shells, or radiator pasta. Rice works the same way. Cook, dehydrate, and then you have... instant rice that, unlike minute rice, has a flavor! I like jasmine.
October 23, 2009 08:41PM
Jerky is my favorite, the trouble with me is I spice it up so horribly I'll attract every mammal and south of the border within 2 miles with it. The recipes are simple, just season to taste. Use lots of salt (soy sauce) and let soak overnight. It's fun to experiment with it. Or just take trail mix. M&M's work well, and Snickers.
October 24, 2009 05:07AM
I bake a batch of vegetable lasagna and then dehydrate it; my favorite dinner on the trail. I also like a salmon pesto pasta dish that is dehydrated except for the salmon in a foil pouch. I also have a standard breakfast casserole dish that I dehydrate to mix with instant grits (hey, I'm from Georgia!).
October 24, 2009 01:19PM
Important note: I do not eat any of the packaging

Breakfast:
Sugar Frosted Flakes with milk and a cup of hot chocolate
or scrambled eggs with milk and HC
or oat meal w/butter, sugar, and milk

Lunch:
Vienna Sausage, one can, with lots of mayo packets and a glass of milk or lemonade
or Ramen
or quesadilla with chicken

Dinner:
Pasta Roni with a packet of chicken in it
or Ramen with chicken
Hot Chocolate

Snacks:
Oreos
Various nuts
M&Ms
Pringles
Tortilla chips with black bean and salsa dip
Payday
Nut bars
Peanut Butter Packet on cracker
Other people's surpluses
Sometimes jerky
Body Fat

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2009 03:59PM by mrcondron.
October 24, 2009 09:38PM
mrcondron
Important note: I do not eat any of the packaging

Breakfast:
Sugar Frosted Flakes with milk and a cup of hot chocolate
or scrambled eggs with milk and HC
or oat meal w/butter, sugar, and milk

Lunch:
Vienna Sausage, one can, with lots of mayo packets and a glass of milk or lemonade
or Ramen
or quesadilla with chicken

Dinner:
Pasta Roni with a packet of chicken in it
or Ramen with chicken
Hot Chocolate

Snacks:
Oreos
Various nuts
M&Ms
Pringles
Tortilla chips with black bean and salsa dip
Payday
Nut bars
Peanut Butter Packet on cracker
Other people's surpluses
Sometimes jerky
Body Fat

Mmmm Body Fat
December 01, 2009 03:53PM
And there's always the classics:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login