Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Driving along in my automobile...

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Driving along in my automobile...
October 30, 2009 06:16PM
What do you listen to while driving through Yosemite?
avatar Re: Driving along in my automobile...
October 30, 2009 08:15PM
Depends on who's in the car. If I'm alone.......

Old Dude
October 30, 2009 08:24PM
When alone, I roll the windows down and crank up the heater and try to drive as slowly as reasonable. Listen for sounds near the road.....such as little birdies.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2009 04:03PM by Frank Furter.
October 31, 2009 12:11PM
Nothing. All distractions prohibited while taking in the beautiful views and dodging deer (sometimes).

Jim
October 31, 2009 06:51PM
XM5 on the way there, then once in the pretty part, radio goes off, and if it's not too cold, window goes down.
Re: Driving along in my automobile...
November 01, 2009 06:35AM
Firebird Suite - Stravinsky
Appalacian Spring - Copeland
Prelude to Afternoon of a Faun - Debussy
Various Americana Folk

Volume set low so it enhances the visual experience instead of being distracting.
November 01, 2009 09:27AM
btnicholas
Firebird Suite - Stravinsky
Appalacian Spring - Copeland
Prelude to Afternoon of a Faun - Debussy
Various Americana Folk

Volume set low so it enhances the visual experience instead of being distracting.

FYI,
Along the western half of the Tioga Road, you can pick up a classical radio station:
KSXR at 91.7 MHz, operating out of Groveland/Sonora.
(It is a transmitter associated with Capitol Public Radio run by CSU,Sacramento.)
November 01, 2009 10:47PM
Well - the last time I sort of had to listen to my wife as we were going along.

I just listen to assorted local FM stations and various CD compilations I've got in my car CD changer.

I'm just waiting for this to happen on my next trip:

I noticed there's a version of this commercial for the right-hand drive version (called the Cherokee in some markets) and the commercial was completely changed to a right-hand drive car driving down the left-hand side of the road. I think they used all the same stuff by electronically changing the locations.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2009 10:44AM by y_p_w.
November 01, 2009 11:39PM
I don't trust those bushy-tailed rats.
November 02, 2009 09:50AM
Here's the RHD version - apparently this is from South Africa. Apparently the video is simply mirror imaged with a little bit of electronic manipulation (Jeep on the steering wheel is correct). Note that his wedding ring is on the right hand. They also used somewhat different voices including a squeaky voice for the squirrel.

Someone alerted me to the fact that the guy's watch disappears during the commercial. That's the same in both.
November 02, 2009 09:52AM
y_p_w
Apparently the video is simply mirror imaged with a little bit of electronic manipulation

Must be because they drive on the wrong side of the road.
November 03, 2009 08:54PM
i'm with Frank.. i love to have my windows down (even in the winter) and blast my heater.. i love the cold and the heat at the same time. lol i listen to my homemade live concert of Hall & Oates, sldo Sting, James Taylor, Cold Play. David Byrne (Talking Heads), & some of Mos Def.
November 03, 2009 09:54PM
Now I understand the avatar.

Old Dude
November 04, 2009 07:49AM
That wolf is AWESOME! hehehe...

The first time I drove through Tuolumne (a long, long time ago, I can still remember...) Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again" came on when I popped in the mixed cassette tape. Hmmm... maybe that was the beginning of all the wanderlust...

Otherwise, it honestly depends on what I'm doing: climbing = pump-me-up metal, hiking = fun pop with easy words to remember (I usually end up with a song in my head as I bop along the trail), cruising = jazz/classical (my BF loaded some classical guitar, Paganini I think, that I just LOVE!). No matter what, music does indeed play a role...
November 05, 2009 10:24AM
John Denver, such as Country Roads, Rocky Mtn. High, Back Home Again, Eagle and the Hawk, etc.
November 05, 2009 01:05PM
Is anyone else a Samples fan? I listen to songs like Feel us Shaking, Nature, Nothing lasts for long, Who am I, etc. to mellow out and forget about the real world while in Yosemite....
November 14, 2009 11:12AM
Wow, Can I EVER answer this one!

I've been doing this for a few years now: As soon I begin to exit Groveland after my last stop before entering the Yosemite world, I pop Anton Bruckner's 7th Symphony into the CD player ...

Absolutely the most ethereal, and glorious landscape of sound for just such a landscape of nature ... a perfect marriage.

It's a long piece, ... and with my driving, the 4th movement wraps up right about the time I pull along side Tenaya Lake on my way to TM.

I reserve that cd for some time now, for only that drive ...

Michael

Anvanho
November 14, 2009 03:11PM
I'm in the "window rolled down/radio turned off" group.
November 14, 2009 03:16PM
sierranomad

Well, that's three of us! The coalition is slowly building.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
November 15, 2009 07:14AM
Frank Furter
sierranomad

Well, that's three of us! The coalition is slowly building.

Four of us.

Jim
November 15, 2009 08:53AM
Here's a piece of information I may regret giving...but hey, were all anonymous, right? smiling smiley

I'm often crying when I enter AND leave the Valley; but for different reasons.
November 16, 2009 11:41AM
I know what you mean. Last July when I drove back down Tioga Pass for the last time leaving the park I knew it would be at least a year before I could come back. Big time withdrawal symptoms.

Jim
November 16, 2009 08:49PM
SierraNomad wrote:

"Here's a piece of information I may regret giving...but hey, were all anonymous, right?
I'm often crying when I enter AND leave the Valley; but for different reasons."

well, since you had more guts than I had ... guess I'll fess up ... yeah, me too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2009 08:49PM by Anvanho.
November 17, 2009 07:03AM
Yeah, that's why I went ahead and mentioned it. Yosemite is such an incredible place. It has such a draw on you that reaches into your very being. I was sure that I wasn't alone...especially on this forum.

Jon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login