Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Black Bear Badgers Incline Village

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Bear Causes Big Woes for Tahoe Community
November 18, 2009 08:14PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_13815801

Big bear causing big woes for Tahoe community

INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. — A really big bear is causing big problems at the Lake Tahoe community of Incline Village, Nevada wildlife officials said.

The black bear, estimated by some to be around 700 pounds, may be responsible for as much as $70,000 in damage this year, according to the Nevada Department of Wildlife. It has evaded traps and special night patrols sent to look for it. .....

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
avatar Black Bear Badgers Incline Village
November 30, 2009 07:44PM
http://www.sierrasun.com/article/20091130/NEWS/911259998/1066&ParentProfile=1051
Tahoe wildlife officials continue search for elusive and massive black bear

INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. — A bear that has been causing a path of destruction all over Incline Village and has gained regional media attention is now receiving prayers from a local congregation after it helped itself to a Thanksgiving feast recently inside the church.

The Rev. Dick Randall of the Village Church in Incline Village sent out a prayer request asking his congregation to pray for the bear. .......

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
avatar Re: Black Bear Badgers Incline Village
November 30, 2009 08:47PM
Frank Furter
INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. — A bear that has been causing a path of destruction all over Incline Village and has gained regional media attention is now receiving prayers from a local congregation after it helped itself to a Thanksgiving feast recently inside the church.

The Rev. Dick Randall of the Village Church in Incline Village sent out a prayer request asking his congregation to pray for the bear. .......

I'm fairly certain that the bear would rather have more goodies.
November 30, 2009 08:49PM
szalkowski
I'm fairly certain that the bear would rather have more goodies.

I know I would winking smiley
November 30, 2009 09:10PM

Once inside, the bear found a feast and consumed 22 jars of peanut butter, opened and tasted — but did not eat — a few boxes of corn flakes. These items were all on a table waiting to be packed. Next, the bear moved into the church kitchen, where he opened the freezer.
Larson said that the bear left with a package of Ramen Noodle soup — the package was found up the hill from the church.

When caught, I suspect the Twinkie Defense will be invoked.

-- Carl Sagan
December 01, 2009 12:05AM
Frank Furter

The Chick-on handler hasn't worn that one out already?
December 01, 2009 06:26AM
eeek
Frank Furter

The Chick-on handler hasn't worn that one out already?

Is the Twinkie Defense the one where you are so overjoyed that you'll actually take the Ramen
even though you really don't want it?

Chick-on is looking at you!
December 01, 2009 06:40AM
"Twinkie Defense"

The "junk food made me do it" defense. See Harvey Milk Case.

Of course that probably also explains lots of the recent behavior of El Pollo Loco (posing for photos in precarious positions).

-- Carl Sagan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2009 08:14AM by Frank Furter.
December 01, 2009 07:02AM
Step aside.

I got this covered.

Chick-on is looking at you!
December 03, 2009 09:20AM
(So, how do they know that he weighs 700 pounds? )

http://www.tahoebonanza.com/article/20091202/NEWS/912029988/1061&ParentProfile=1050

700-pound bear's fate all-but determined as Tahoe officials continue search
INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. — In her nine years running Incline Door Company, Jennifer Pranin has never seen anything like this.

“I'd say we've been getting four to six calls per week, pretty much since the springtime ... that's probably on average of five repairs a week,” said Pranin, who co-owns the Incline Village garage-door repair business with her husband, Dean. “I mean, he's not wearing one of our T-shirts or anything ... we have had people jokingly ask if he's on our payroll.”

“He” is the 700-pound black bear that wildlife officials have been chasing the past three years — a chase that has become high stakes because of the more than $70,000 in damage officials say he has caused this year alone..........

-- Carl Sagan
February 27, 2010 08:34PM
More recent news on bears in Incline Village, Feb 24th story:

http://www.tahoebonanza.com/article/20100224/NEWS/100229969/1061&ParentProfile=1050

Wildlife official: 600-pound bear killed Tuesday was nuisance, would have been euthanized

By Matt Welch
North Lake Tahoe Bonanza,
INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. — The 600-pound male black bear shot and killed Tuesday after it apparently charged a law enforcement officer was a nuisance bear that would have been euthanized, a wildlife official said.

It was not the 700-pound bruin who reportedly broke into homes and garages last year and caused $70,000 in damage, said Nevada Department of Wildlife Biologist Carl Lackey, but the bear was a “trash bear,” accustomed to eating out of trash cans. That behavior, Lackey said, leads to breaking into homes looking for food....

-- Carl Sagan
avatar Re: Bear Causes Big Woes for Tahoe Community
February 28, 2010 07:48PM
Give a bear a Twinkie, and you've ruined him for a lifetime. Teach a bear to get his own Twinkies, and you've taught him to be self reliant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2010 07:37AM by forrestranger.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login