Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite Valley over Christmas...

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yosemite Valley over Christmas...
December 01, 2009 05:11PM
Hello out there! I'm bringing the family (wife, son (14), daughter (11) and me) to stay in a lovely heated CV tent cabin during the week of 12/21. Many years ago we were wed on top of Half Dome, and manage to get back there every other year or so, always during Spring, Summer or Fall. We have never come in December before. We are all pretty strong hikers, and I was just looking for suggestions on things to do in and around the Valley while we're there. I was thinking of taking out a 2nd mortgage on my home for a Bracebridge dinner, but decided to pass :-). Any advice will be humbly appreciated.
avatar Re: Yosemite Valley over Christmas...
December 01, 2009 06:53PM
You can spend some time in front of the fireplaces at the Ahwahnee Hotel.

The Wawona Hotel has a nice setup in their lobby. They're serving assorted hot beverages, although they're not free.

I personally recommend the daily 10:30 AM ranger-guided snowshoe walk at Badger Pass, although that depends on when the NPS starts it up. When they start this depends on snow conditions. The NPS recommends a $5 donation for snowshoe rental. There's also a full moon showshoe hike (more expensive), but I think the full moon will be around Dec 31.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/BadgerPass_Snowshoeing.aspx

Here's a list of winter activities from DNC:

http://www.yosemitepark.com/Activities_WinterActivities.aspx

I've been hiking in the winter. Interesting postholing through the snow up the Upper Yosemite Fall Trail without gaiters or snowshoes. Lovely view of Yosemite Creek at the top from the bridge:

December 01, 2009 08:17PM
Mariposa Grove... cross-country ski, snowshoe, or posthole in.
December 02, 2009 12:00AM
I love the Badger Pass area for all types of skiing and snowshoeing (which I will try this year) However, it all depends on the road conditions and your tire set-up as to whether you can drive up to the ski area. The road is plowed up to the ski area, however, that does not mean that there are not various chain/tire restrictions due to the prevailing conditions.

B

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2009 12:01AM by Bee.
December 02, 2009 02:28AM
Bee
I love the Badger Pass area for all types of skiing and snowshoeing (which I will try this year) However, it all depends on the road conditions and your tire set-up as to whether you can drive up to the ski area. The road is plowed up to the ski area, however, that does not mean that there are not various chain/tire restrictions due to the prevailing conditions.

B

Will you be skiing out to Glacier Point?
Re: Yosemite Valley over Christmas...
December 02, 2009 11:02AM
Snowshoe/Ski 14/18 loop out to Dewey Point is the king of Yosemite winter trips.

Illegitimus nil Carborundum
December 02, 2009 07:14PM
Will you be skiing out to Glacier Point?[/quote]

I would definitely like to give that a shot this year. I was an avid X-country skier before I broke a few bones and had to lay off the snow sports for a few. I returned to skiing last year, so I am looking forward to this season.

B
December 02, 2009 09:25PM
How about ice skating?
Snowshoe down to Merced Grove or Tuolumne Grove...

Can we see a picture of the wedding?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login