Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Days not to do Whitney

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

December 19, 2009 04:21PM
I have to wonder how many people were up there on this day:

http://www.spinics.net/fs/lonepine1-125JPG.html
avatar Re: Days not to do Whitney
December 19, 2009 06:18PM
After following the WPSMB for about a year now, I have come to realize that there is a breed of Whitney Hiker that will take on the mountain under darn-near any conditions! At this time of year, accessing the Portal Road is a challenge in itself.

Is this a recent pic? Since Steve updated and improved the webcam, it's been really fun to follow the mountain as it changes through the season

http://www.whitneyzone.com/webcam/whitney.jpg
December 19, 2009 06:42PM
No, it's not all that recent. One February morning a friend and I headed up 395. Ended up going all the way to Mono Lake to our surprise!
December 23, 2009 07:54PM
That's an amazing photo!! Love the Alabama Hills in a different light!

Thanks for posting this webcam link..I got to check this out.....L
December 28, 2009 05:34PM
January 02, 2010 04:28PM
Bee
there is a breed of Whitney Hiker that will take on the mountain under darn-near any conditions!

Yeah, and then there's the other breed. A friend and I were there for the first time last July. We were coming back down at around 10 a.m. and stopped for a snack at the place where the summit trail breaks off from the main trail. A couple guys came by and went a few feet up toward the summit and then turned around to head back down.

My friend and I looked at them quizzically and in explanation they pointed to the clouds. The clouds didn't look menacing yet (maybe in a few hours, but at the moment they were not threatening). We said as much and they responded "Well, we've got friends behind us that won't make it and they'll be mad at us if we make it to the top but they don't". Incredulous, we asked "Have you been to the top before?" The answer was no.

I thought it was hilarious, but hey, to each his own. But my friend actually got mad.
January 02, 2010 06:48PM
WOW! That is group dynamics that I can SURELY do without. Tossing in on the summit 'cause their friends would be jealous?? (let's call it what it IS) There has been a couple of times when illness or otherwise kept me from summiting, but I always encourage the people that I am with to go ahead and then pick me up on the way back -- no need to ruin their day, too (I was not in any danger_

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2010 06:48PM by Bee.
December 31, 2009 06:20PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login