Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: First time going to Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

First time going to Yosemite
December 26, 2009 10:56AM
Hi Everyone!

I am planning on going to Yosemite for the first time during Summer 2010. I was wondering if you had any suggestions. Where to camp, What to bring, Where to go etc.
I would really appreciate any advice you can give me!

Thank you so much!
Barish Rikabi
avatar Re: First time going to Yosemite
December 26, 2009 10:59AM
What part of the summer?
December 26, 2009 12:45PM
@eek

Probably late July or August.
December 26, 2009 01:09PM
bariscan
Probably late July or August.

Then I'd recommend not camping in the Valley. Either Tuolumne Meadows or one of the non-reservable campgrounds would be better.
December 26, 2009 05:51PM
bariscan
Hi Everyone!

I am planning on going to Yosemite for the first time during Summer 2010. I was wondering if you had any suggestions. Where to camp, What to bring, Where to go etc.
I would really appreciate any advice you can give me!

Thank you so much!
Barish Rikabi

I think you will find lots of people willing to offer advice here, but it would be helpful to get a little context and background to know what to suggest:
Like: days planned, with or without auto, solo or group, prior camping or hiking experience, length of stay, age, physical condition, etc.

For a quicke tour check out this <http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,21052,21055#msg-21055>;

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
December 26, 2009 11:55PM
Frank Furter

I think you will find lots of people willing to offer advice here, but it would be helpful to get a little context and background to know what to suggest:
Like: days planned, with or without auto, solo or group, prior camping or hiking experience, length of stay, age, physical condition, etc.

For a quicke tour check out this <http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,21052,21055#msg-21055>;

Well I am a 20 year old college student and I am have been playing basketball and going to the gym my whole life so I am fit. I have hiked before in Turkey but I have never gone camping. I am going with my girlfriend. She also has not camped but has hiked. We will probably be going for 5 days. We will be going with her car.

Thank you for the advice!
December 27, 2009 08:52AM
bariscan
Frank Furter

Well I am a 20 year old college student and I am have been playing basketball and going to the gym my whole life so I am fit. I have hiked before in Turkey but I have never gone camping. I am going with my girlfriend. She also has not camped but has hiked. We will probably be going for 5 days. We will be going with her car.

Well, backpacking could be challenging without actually having previously slept in a tent. My recommendations would be to do a dry run with a tent, sleeping bag and food even on the grass in the backyard. Assuming that goes ok, probably best to do "car camping"; some campgrounds are more "developed' than others (flush vs pit toilets; tables vs no tables; water vs no water; nearby showers vs no showers) so try to decide what level of primitiveness you prefer and how much junk you plan to take.
In spite of eeek's recommendations, I would still try to get in on camping in the valley for at least a few nights. (check the NPS website for info and the start of the reservation system. most popular sites fill quickly). The valley is so important to Yosemite and so centrally located with lots of facilities that for a first timer, I think it is preferable. Otherwise, you will be spending a lot of time in the car to do the hikes in the valley.
So I guess my approach would be:
1. get equipment
I believe you can rent (not in the valley to my knowledge) some camping equipmnt; otherwise beg borrrow or steal some
2. figure out how to work the equipment
--consider a guided hike or camp with group like Sierra Club
--if you plan to sleep in the car, be sure to try out that option beforehand
--cook vs eating out or cold food, be sure to have the necessary pots, equipment, food, towels (try to KISS it , Keep It Super Simple)
sometimes cooking can become so complicated that it intrudes on the outdoor experience
3. choose your site to camp
--- there are "housekeeping" camps that may be a good option (expensive) for stays in the valley, check the Delaware North website for those that want a less primitive option.
4. plan your activities
---I would consider Nevada Falls hike, Glacier Point hike or visit, hike to top of Yosemite Falls (possible a long loop hike), hike to Glen Aulin from Tuolumne Meadows to be the minimum recommendations
---look for Ranger guided short hikes on the days you are there

Others will have additional suggestions.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
December 27, 2009 11:12AM
bariscan
Frank Furter

Given your situation, it doesn't sound like backpacking is what you had in mind.

A lot of people don't like camping in Yosemite Valley. They have campfire restrictions (I think only 5 PM to 10 PM in the peak season). Neighbors can be loud, many of the campsites are packed tight, and bears are a real problem with unsecured food sources (don't store food in your car). I still think it's fine. You're in the middle of the action and can get around the Valley by shuttle bus.

If you want to car camp, go to recreation.gov and get ready with the campgrounds (and possibly a first choice site) selected before the selection period starts. If you want to start between May 15-June 14, the reservations start at 7 AM Pacific Time on January 15. For the next few one-month periods, it's the 15th of the month at 7 AM. It will be a madhouse. Sites start going quickly and if you'll need to simply pick up whatever site you can get. Typically the Valley campground reservations for the summer months will be gone in less than 10 minutes.
December 27, 2009 03:59PM
Barish,

Here is another thread that you may want to peruse:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,13907
December 27, 2009 04:33PM
Will you be coming here from Southern California? Some other place?
December 27, 2009 06:53PM
Yes, it will be crowded. But that's because you're going to the most beautiful place on earth. As long as you know the public 'gathering places' (lodges, stores, cafes and other food, etc.) will have many people around, it's no big deal. Everyone is on vacation, in generally good spirits, and besides, it's fun to just 'people-watch' sometimes. You'll ride the shuttle around the valley to see the most popular sights, and if you want to play 'tourist'... well there's plenty of places to buy souvenirs, eat food, or take pictures.

If you choose not to camp and you're coming with minimal sleeping gear, the Curry tent-cabins are probably the easiest to reserve. With taxes they're about a hundred bucks a night in summer 2010, and there's no way anyone would get that much money for such sparse accommodations if this wasn't Yosemite. You don't pick your actual canvas cabin until you get there, and it doesn't make much difference, because even though your four walls of canvas give you a sense of visual privacy within, the fact is you are audibly within a few feet of someone else in a nearby tent cabin, and this gives you a sense of dormitory living... (you just don't see the guy in the next bunk). You soon realize that the tent cabins are designed for sleeping and clothing storage... they aren't a place to spend much daylight time... the sights and sensations of Yosemite are elsewhere.

As far as the hiking, well, you have almost unlimited options. For your first visit, here's my suggestion: If you're camped in the valley, be sure to catch the morning bus up to Glacier Point. The drivers are fun, entertaining, knowledgeable, and will point out things you would otherwise never notice. Leave the driver a tip when they drop you off at Glacier Point. They work hard to earn it!

Then comes the reward... the Panorama Trail down from Glacier Point. Illouette, Nevada and Vernal Falls close-up, with ever changing vistas of Yosemite Valley, Little Yosemite Valley, Tenaya Canyon and Half Dome. And, you made it quite a bit easier (assuming you have good knees) by starting the 10-miile journey at the highest point.

If you're feeling more ambitious, then either the 7-mile round trip to the top of Yosemite Falls,, or the 17-mile round trip to the top of Half Dome, are obvious choices. Any of these suggested hikes will not soon be forgotten.

thumbs upHave a great Yosemite experience!thumbs up
December 27, 2009 06:58PM
And don't forget the wildlife:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login