Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: good start for lower Yosemite precip

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

good start for lower Yosemite precip
January 02, 2010 08:53AM
The end of December snow survey reported about 100% of normal precipitation across the Southern Sierra so this may again be a normal year after the recent couple droughty years. Despite moderate drought in many areas, lower elevations west of Yosemite were above average last year. The start of this winter for the lower elevation Yosemite region bodes well for spring wildflowers in particular as I found CDEC shows Yosemite Valley with 15.5 inches of precipitation so far, Gin Flat with 16.8 inches, Wawona with 21.7 inches, and Briceberg 12.5 inches. Given the huge Merced Canyon bloom last year, there ought to be a considerable seed crop available for a repeat if rains continue into late winter. The below is via my Canon G10 from March 21, 2009 in a high billy goat ravine of the burn areas.

And this 4x5 crudely scanned Provia 100F transparency on June 6 from above El Portal within park boundaries:

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2010 09:06AM by DavidSenesac.
avatar Re: good start for lower Yosemite precip
January 02, 2010 05:40PM
Reminds me of the foothills and Central Valley in the 60's. Springtime in California is the best season and magical. I hope to do the Hites Cove hike some spring.
Are these photos with a special filter?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Re: good start for lower Yosemite precip
January 02, 2010 08:56PM
Yes our brief three months of green springtime for the vast lower elevation areas that most Californian's live in is its most magical time of year. But also rather ignored by the large urban masses living in those areas who in this day and age have generally lost the ability to relate due to little experience outdoors in anything but brief superficial ways usually during mid summer when it is otherwise all dry and toasted.

filters?...rarely, my natural style and philosophy:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/david_philosophy1.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2010 08:58PM by DavidSenesac.
avatar Re: good start for lower Yosemite precip
January 05, 2010 07:02AM
Doggy,
Ditto on Hite Cove this year.
(and make sure to check out "that" falls) wink

I've come to really appreciate all the seasons.
I like to preach that you need to "hike the trail in all 4 seasons and in both directions".
(or at least 3)

smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login