Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Thousand Island Lake - Rush Creek Trail or Agnew Trail?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Thousand Island Lake - Rush Creek Trail or Agnew Trail?
January 05, 2010 04:52PM
I've been thinking about a trip to Thousand Island Lake and would like some input:

1.Which month is the best time to go for good photos, good weather, and mostly snow-free trails?
2. How crowded is this destination during the "peak" months?
3. Which approach is recommended, via the Agnew Meadows Trail or Rush Creek Trail? (I've been to Ediza from Agnew Meadows but haven't gone far on the Rush Creek trail, only to Agnew Lake)
4. How difficult is it to carry a camera and tripod while backpacking?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
H
avatar Re: Thousand Island Lake - Rush Creek Trail or Agnew Trail?
January 05, 2010 04:55PM
quicksilver
I've been thinking about a trip to Thousand Island Lake and would like some input:

1.Which month is the best time to go for good photos, good weather, and mostly snow-free trails?

It really depends on the year. The time I did it was over the 4th of July. There was no snow to deal, weather was great, and the creeks were nice.

4. How difficult is it to carry a camera and tripod while backpacking?

My view camera and tripod are a complete PITA to carry. YMMV.
January 06, 2010 11:57AM
eeek

It really depends on the year. The time I did it was over the 4th of July. There was no snow to deal, weather was great, and the creeks were nice.

Thanks. Which trail did you take?
January 06, 2010 12:04PM
quicksilver
Thanks. Which trail did you take?

Ah, forgot that. It was Agnew via Shadow Lake.
January 05, 2010 08:31PM

...more
http://www.davidsenesac.com/images/print_05-q4-2.html

Mid July through mid August.
Very crowded beside trails and lake shores but one can easily find areas lacking others with a bit of looking and terrain wisdom.
Trivial to carry a compact digital and practically impossible to carry an 8x10.

Into the Ritter Range...
http://www.davidsenesac.com/Iceberg_Lake/iceberg_8-11-06.html

David Senesac
http://www.davidsenesac.com
January 06, 2010 12:35PM
Thanks for the links. You have some awesome photos and good advice on your site. I wouldn't be doing anything near your level of photography - my equipment would consist of a digital SLR, wide angle, tripod and macro. However, the weight might be too much for a small person like me.

A Labor Day weekend trip might not be possible or as enjoyable due to the crowds. Can anyone recommend other destinations that may be less crowded but just as scenic?
January 06, 2010 12:36PM
I did the hike via Shadow Lake/JMT as well and thought it was pretty easy. If you leave early enough you can even day hike it from Agnew Meadow. I'd go in mid-July when the wildflowers are going crazy (but keep an eye on a late winter, tends to push back the blooms a few weeks sometimes).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login