All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

January 25, 2010 07:01PM
I know this has been discussed before but could not find much searching the forums.

What is the best recommended day hike route up Mt. Hoffman? I'm looking for the safest and easiest route for a short day hike following several days of backpacking next August. That means I'll be reasonably exhausted and looking for a route that will not finish me off as long as I take my sweet time. I have only been to May Lake once back in the 70's and we did not venture beyond the south side of the lake.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Jim the geezer
January 25, 2010 09:30PM
It's my understanding that this is now an officially maintained trail.
It's a well worn track. Unfortunately didn't get my royal pinkness up it last year.

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 25, 2010 10:42PM
So just what exactly did you get up your royal pinkness this year?

Old Dude
January 25, 2010 11:34PM
mrcondron
So just what exactly did you get up your royal pinkness this year?

Do you really want to know?
January 25, 2010 11:37PM
chick-on
It's a well worn track. Unfortunately didn't get my royal pinkness up it last year.

You haven't been seen here either:

January 27, 2010 05:55AM
eeek
chick-on

You haven't been seen here either:

Me cant see or be scene wear watt cant be seen (no peeekchure)
If you really wunt a list of peakie eye can list but me tinks mrcondron just wanted too
make sexy nintendos at me. Me tinks he is more attracted to me den dose bears.

re summitpost:
Nut shure why people gots to post pictures of dose big rodents, dey just props and REALLY ruin a good foto.

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 25, 2010 11:06PM
(Chick-on makes it sound like he does the hiking)

Hey Jim-the-geezer, I think that he official term for geriatric hikers on this site is "old dude"
January 26, 2010 02:05PM
Bee
(Chick-on makes it sound like he does the hiking)

Hey Jim-the-geezer, I think that he official term for geriatric hikers on this site is "old dude"

Bee, my NPS senior pass specifically says, "Old Geezer Pass". You can't argue with me because you don't have one. Be quiet, Mike.

Once you venture onto the trails you get upgraded to "Olde Dude". Dems da rules.
January 25, 2010 11:29PM
There is really only one way up and it is well traveled. At that time of year you just get in line a follow the crowd.
You can actually see the track on google sat.

Old Dude
Re: Mt. Hoffman route
January 26, 2010 09:27AM
Tomdisco,
I'd be interested in your itinerary prior to May Lake....
January 26, 2010 02:16PM
The Other Tom
Tomdisco,

Tom,

I'll be doing a 5-day, 4-nighter from Lyell Canyon to Cathedral trailhead via Ireland Creek, Vogelsang, Lewis Creek, Merced Lake, and a detour off trail in the Echo Lake area. Still got until March to decide in which direction I want to do it. I'm leaning towards starting at Cathedral.

Jim
January 26, 2010 05:57PM
tomdisco
The Other Tom
Tomdisco,

Tom,

I'll be doing a 5-day, 4-nighter from Lyell Canyon to Cathedral trailhead via Ireland Creek, Vogelsang, Lewis Creek, Merced Lake, and a detour off trail in the Echo Lake area. Still got until March to decide in which direction I want to do it. I'm leaning towards starting at Cathedral.

Jim

Thanks, Jim
Sounds like fun. Vogelsang is one of my favorites.
January 26, 2010 10:36AM
tomdisco
I know this has been discussed before but could not find much searching the forums.

Here is an entry from SummitPost:
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150445/mount-hoffmann.html

[Note to Froggie/Chick-on: Be certain to check out the first photo in the "Images" section at the bottom of the post... and the adoring comments section associated with the photo.]
January 29, 2010 02:18AM
From May lake the trail is marked however once you start going up the hill, you just try to follow what you think is the trail. It will level out and you can clearly see the trail again, then it will go start to ascend while during switchbacks. This section of the trail is very rocky, lots of lose rocks. Once you reach the top on the left side is the radio tower. No marked trail going up, every once in a while you will see what looks like it is a marked trail. Nice views from the top, lots of people go to the top. If you go to the right, away from the tower, you can see May lake. Nice view from the top. Really enjoyed this hike as I could see for miles in every directions. There was nothing that got in the way.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login