Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: HIking Survival Kit

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

February 06, 2010 12:37PM
i came up with my own, i've shared it with family and friends, so i'd like you guys to check it out and let me know if you think i missed something that should be on there.

i realize that not everything is listed, nor do i care to carry "everything", but these are some essential items i've come up with.

http://forresthickman.com/survival.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2010 12:38PM by forrestranger.
Re: HIking Survival Kit
February 06, 2010 06:30PM
+1 on the signal mirror. We always carry one and actually used it once. My son and I got separated and started worrying about each other's safety. He thought he could see me on a ridge and pulled out the signal mirror. When I saw the flash, I figured only he would use a signal mirror, and I was right. The thing worked great and is thin and lightweight. Highly recommended.
February 07, 2010 08:51PM
awesome! i've never heard of anyone who actually used one . lol that is fantastic... can you imagine how scary it would have been had you guys not had one? such a simple product can bring such relief (and save lives).
February 07, 2010 10:40PM
Signal mirrors work great! This picture was taken from Thor peak while somebody was signaling from Mt Russel. (note the flash in the upper center/left)

Photo curtesy of Bob R. http://www.whitneyzone.com
February 08, 2010 06:13AM
da best survival tool : da grey matter

(maybe brings sum ducks tape to keeps ur head on straight)

(peas don't nail me to da tree)

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 08, 2010 07:51AM
chick-on

(maybe brings sum ducks tape to keeps ur head on straight)

(peas don't nail me to da tree)

When I think of a survival kit, I think of something that is separate from my usual equipment.
If backpacking, do you need an additional set of equipment for life in the woods?

One other way to think about a survival kit is to ask, what problems do you want to solve or manage?

Then you decide what the likelihood is of the event happening and plan for the most likely events in order of possibility.
A survival kit for the car will differ from one you might want for the woods.
For some people, injuries or health problems (like asthma) might be higher on their lists.

The major issues (not necessarily in this order) would be:

lost or trapped in location (like unable to return due to swollen streams or injured, snow bound in car)
wet
cold or hot (very rare and usually easier to deal with than cold)
injury or health problem
thirsty
hungry

So, it becomes a judgment call how to manage these different issues based on where, when, and how you are traveling (gray matter factor). As I have mentioned before,
I think a giant black plastic bag is super multipurpose survival device that is very cost effective. Other (strange) items that have get value to me are: 1 aspirin, 4 ft of dental floss, needle. replacement glasses.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
February 08, 2010 07:15PM
Preferred items would differ somewhat depending upon whether you are on trail or off trail, especially if alone. Off trail and alone calls for more in the way of survival kit requirements. Perhaps one of the most overlooked items is having plenty of water with you at all times. If you get in trouble and can not move easily, the water you have with you suddenly becomes golden. Not exactly part of a survival kit but no small matter.
February 08, 2010 07:31PM
chick-on

That's in short supply.
February 09, 2010 08:31AM
eeek
chick-on

That's in short supply.

It no need to be yours.
smiling smiley

Bring a friend.

Two minds are butter den none.

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login