Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: A Hetch Hetchy pipe dream

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar A Hetch Hetchy pipe dream
February 13, 2010 08:16PM
It might seem irrational in this drought-vulnerable state to even think of permanently draining a High Sierra reservoir that supplies superior-quality water for 2.4 million people in San Francisco and three suburban counties. But rationality does not always count for much in San Francisco politics. A movement is afoot for a ballot measure this year to put San Francisco on a path that could lead to the removal of its dam on the Tuolumne River in Yosemite National Park.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/02/13/INIE1BUUMI.DTL
avatar Re: A Hetch Hetchy pipe dream
February 14, 2010 12:10PM
From what I hear HH is not needed as water storage. The SF Water District has several reservoirs along the system that could easily handle the needed capacity. One note: the SFWD is the largest land owner in Alameda County.
February 14, 2010 01:18PM
Dave
From what I hear HH is not needed as water storage. The SF Water District has several reservoirs along the system that could easily handle the needed capacity. One note: the SFWD is the largest land owner in Alameda County.

While I do understand that there is excess capacity (Lake Don Pedro has 5+ times the capacity of HH and has never been full) down the river, the city of San Francisco wouldn't have control and would be a secondary customer (without priority) if HH were dismantled. SF currently uses some storage in Lake Don Pedro, but the Modesto and Turlock Irrigation Districts have priority.

The other thing that Hetch Hetchy gives to San Francisco that storage in other reservoirs wouldn't is electricity generation.

SF loves HH because it gets them control and they can bypass a lot of the rivers via aqueducts and pipelines.
February 14, 2010 06:14PM
y_p_w
While I do understand that there is excess capacity (Lake Don Pedro has 5+ times the capacity of HH and has never been full) down the river, the city of San Francisco wouldn't have control and would be a secondary customer (without priority) if HH were dismantled. SF currently uses some storage in Lake Don Pedro, but the Modesto and Turlock Irrigation Districts have priority.

The other thing that Hetch Hetchy gives to San Francisco that storage in other reservoirs wouldn't is electricity generation.

SF loves HH because it gets them control and they can bypass a lot of the rivers via aqueducts and pipelines.
That and the SFWD is it own little kingdom and the board treats it as such. I followed the dealings that the Bay Area Ridge Trail had with them. It was a huge political mess.
February 15, 2010 12:47PM
y_p_w
the city of San Francisco wouldn't have control and would be a secondary customer (without priority) if HH were dismantled.

That would likely be address in the enabling legislation.
February 15, 2010 03:27PM
y_p_w
Dave

Can you summarize water law on this subject? It is usually a complicated subject.
I thought, upsteam and historical uses continuously exercised take priority, but I certainly do no have any special expertise in this area to know for sure.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
February 14, 2010 12:12PM
(Off Topic ALert!)

Dave,

The photo in your avitar looks like a pretty picture -- could you post a larger version of it?

B
February 14, 2010 12:15PM
Bee
(Off Topic ALert!)

Dave,

The photo in your avitar looks like a pretty picture -- could you post a larger version of it?

B

You can get a copy of it. Just buy this year's Yosemite Pass.

But I will post a copy of it in a few days. I have out of town company right now.
February 14, 2010 03:31PM
Don't need no stinkin' Yearly Pass -- I am surrounded by Old Dude Passes! (Lifetime $10 pass)
February 14, 2010 06:12PM
Bee
Don't need no stinkin' Yearly Pass -- I am surrounded by Old Dude Passes! (Lifetime $10 pass)
The point was that that picture is MY picture that was selected to be on this year's pass.
February 14, 2010 08:36PM
Dave,

I guess that since I have never bought a yearly pass, I do not know the procedure, thus, I am not sure what you are referring to when you say "MY picture selected for this year's pass". Are the passes custom designed individually?
b
February 14, 2010 09:28PM
Bee
Dave,

I guess that since I have never bought a yearly pass, I do not know the procedure, thus, I am not sure what you are referring to when you say "MY picture selected for this year's pass". Are the passes custom designed individually?
b

I'm fairly certain that there is a yearly photo competition to select a picture which will be used on the following year's pass.
February 14, 2010 11:13PM
Bee
Dave,

b
One picture is selected out of many submissions. The winning picture is used for the annual pass. I took that picture years ago when I was able to pack into Cathedral Lakes with my llamas for a 3 day trip. It was taken just past the outflow of the lake and one llama was getting impatient and pulling me to the right. I snapped the picture and then instantly the wind came up and erased the reflection.

I'm sure it's open to anyone, but the picture for the all parks pass is closed to NPS employees. If you have some pictures, send me a PM and I'll let you know who to submit them to.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login