Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Sierra Club's new...

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Sierra Club's new...
February 19, 2010 03:20PM
February 19, 2010 04:40PM
"After college, he started at the “bottom wrung” of the environmental movement...."

Ms. Riddell needs to learn the difference between "wrung" and "rung".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2010 04:41PM by The Other Tom.
February 19, 2010 07:04PM
Journalism isn't what it used to me.
February 19, 2010 07:38PM
"Journalism isn't what it used to me."

Muphrey's! Sorry!
February 20, 2010 04:43AM
eeek

And in other news, the National Enquirer is nominated for a Pulitzer.
February 21, 2010 08:09AM
wagga
eeek

Again?
February 21, 2010 09:23AM
tomdisco
wagga
eeek

Again?

That was also an error. It should have read "nominated for a Poulterer."
February 21, 2010 02:09PM
You asked for it.

My uncle was in the fertilized egg business when I was young. He had several hundred young layers, called pullets, and 8 or 10 roosters whose job was to fertilize the eggs. My uncle kept records and any rooster or pullet that didn't perform well went into the pot and was replaced. Now this took an awful lot of time. So when my uncle saw a set of eight tiny bells that each rang a different tone he promptly bought them.
He glued a piece of foam rubber to each clapper shaft so the bell wouldn't ring except when violently shaken. He hung a bell on each rooster's neck and went and mixed a Mint Julep. Now he could sit on the porch and sip while filling out an efficiency report on the roosters by listening to the different tones of the bells and marking down each encounter.

My uncle's favorite rooster was old Brewster. Brewster was a fine specimen, but his bell didn't ring all morning. Uncle went to investigate.

Several roosters were chasing pullets, bells a-ringing. Brewster had his bell in his beak so it couldn't ring. He'd sneak up on a pullet, do his job and walk on to the next one. Chagrined at first, Uncle was soon so proud of Brewster he entered him in the county fair.

Brewster was an overnight sensation. They not only awarded him the No Bell Piece Prize, but also the Pullet Surprise.
February 22, 2010 06:44AM
wagga
You asked for it.

My uncle was in the fertilized egg business when I was young. He had several hundred young layers, called pullets, and 8 or 10 roosters whose job was to fertilize the eggs. My uncle kept records and any rooster or pullet that didn't perform well went into the pot and was replaced. Now this took an awful lot of time. So when my uncle saw a set of eight tiny bells that each rang a different tone he promptly bought them.
He glued a piece of foam rubber to each clapper shaft so the bell wouldn't ring except when violently shaken. He hung a bell on each rooster's neck and went and mixed a Mint Julep. Now he could sit on the porch and sip while filling out an efficiency report on the roosters by listening to the different tones of the bells and marking down each encounter.

My uncle's favorite rooster was old Brewster. Brewster was a fine specimen, but his bell didn't ring all morning. Uncle went to investigate.

Several roosters were chasing pullets, bells a-ringing. Brewster had his bell in his beak so it couldn't ring. He'd sneak up on a pullet, do his job and walk on to the next one. Chagrined at first, Uncle was soon so proud of Brewster he entered him in the county fair.

Brewster was an overnight sensation. They not only awarded him the No Bell Piece Prize, but also the Pullet Surprise.

wagga,

Congratulations! You win the tall story award of the month. Excellent. Chickon Boo
February 22, 2010 07:02AM
Brewster my hero! (eggs-selent storee)

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login