Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

HalfDometarianism

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

March 02, 2010 09:12PM
You can move this to one of the other threads but I figured it should be up top. LA Times clip:

Half Dome hiking permits sell like hot cakes

Warning, weekend hikers: If you’re planning an assault on Half Dome in May or June, your time has just about run out.

In their first 48 hours of peddling hiker permits, under a new system designed to relieve weekend and holiday crowding on
March 03, 2010 04:57PM
I have to wonder how many of those permits will actually be used.
March 03, 2010 06:34PM
Me tinks dey gonna find out the system sux.

They need to allocate so many permits day of or next day.
Dunno why they didn't do that.

Def. gonna get less traffic.

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 03, 2010 07:11PM
chick-on
They need to allocate so many permits day of or next day.
Dunno why they didn't do that.

See thread on packing armaments.

Old Dude
March 03, 2010 10:10PM
Did Yosemite officials state how they were going to patrol the entrance to the cables so that sneaky hikers won't "crash" the cables.
March 03, 2010 10:12PM
Bee
Did Yosemite officials state how they were going to patrol the entrance to the cables so that sneaky hikers won't "crash" the cables.
Dey didn't... that I saw...

There's only one trail up da sub-a-dome. Purty easy to post someone der.
No go up the sub-dome without a permit.

And I meant to say that they need to reserve some of the permits for day of or next day.
To have them ALL (minus the backer permits) avail for reserved is not too smart.

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 03, 2010 10:25PM
Even Mt. Whitney (which only allows 150 a day) allows for the afternoon of the day before the hike pick ups -- it alows for people to take advantage of the openings left by people who have not signed in for their reserved permits.
Re: Half Dome Hot Cakes
March 04, 2010 06:54AM
I can say a lot won't get used. An example. I booked permits for two days in a row. Why, because I am taking my brother in law up there and he is paying for the rooms. I didn't want to have bad wet weather one day and ruin the trip, so i booked it over two days to try and protect ourselves. I wonder if i hike it the first day, can i give the unused following day permits to the wilderness office, will they give them out?
March 05, 2010 05:54PM
This is on the FAQ page of the Park's website: "Are the permits transferable?
Yes. You can give a permit to anyone else, but each permit can only be used once. Permits cannot be resold or auctioned."

So you could give them out, but I haven't seen anything about turning them in to the Wilderness Center. I doubt that they would want to get involved in holding the small amount of "turned in" permits for the large amount of hopeful hikers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2010 06:00PM by sierranomad.
March 05, 2010 05:59PM
sierranomad
"Permits cannot be resold or auctioned."

I wonder if there will be scalpers on the trail. winking smiley
March 05, 2010 06:00PM
Man..That is rough!!! but I guess it will help solve some of the problem...I can't help but think that they will eventually compromise and have a system for individuals to get a pass the day or day before their trip...at least I hope so!
March 05, 2010 06:01PM
I think it is a safe bet to assume the system will change after they get some experience with it.
March 05, 2010 10:58PM
eeek
I think it is a safe bet to assume the system will change after they get some experience with it.

It's been my contention that they'll figure out there will be on average more people doing this Mon-Thu (on average) than on the permit days and will eventually end up doing this 7 days a week.

The numbers I heard were that they were averaging just under 400 hikers/day doing HD on Mon-Thu. The alleged 400 permits per weekend day are going to include lots of no-shows. Ergo, the weekday crowds are likely to average more than the quota-limited weekend/holiday crowds. The spur of the moment hikers attempting HD are just going to have to push it to weekdays. I'm just left wondering if anyone who came up with this scheme used any common-sense logic.

I still can't figure out why they picked 400. The serious overcrowding problems seem to start when they average about 600 a day. I thought 500 would have been more reasonable.
March 05, 2010 07:18PM
They do a little on the spot "mini lottery" when there are more hikers than day permits at the Whitney permit center.
Re: Half Dome Hot Cakes
March 05, 2010 09:07PM
Just need a hair-dryer instead of a full blown leaf-blower??
March 09, 2010 10:59PM
HalfDometarianism (noun):
The belief that when you die, your soul goes up to Half Dome and gets stuck on the cables.

Shares much of the same religious philosophy as Frisbeetarianism:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Frisbeetarianism
March 09, 2010 11:39PM
Part of the epistemology that would include resistentialism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistentialism

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
March 10, 2010 02:18AM
szalkowski
The belief that when you die, your soul goes up to Half Dome and gets stuck on the cables.

I would think that the heaven part would be that your soul gets a free pass to the TOP of Half Dome, while Purgatory (or did they cancel Purgatory a few years ago?) would be the eternal shlep of the cables (sort of like Sisyphus and his Rock)

B
March 10, 2010 06:29AM
Bee
szalkowski

I would think that the heaven part would be that your soul gets a free pass to the TOP of Half Dome, while Purgatory (or did they cancel Purgatory a few years ago?) would be the eternal shlep of the cables (sort of like Sisyphus and his Rock)

B

Details should be available somewhere in "La Divina Commedia."
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1000

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2010 06:32AM by szalkowski.
March 10, 2010 05:04PM
The Half Dome zoo has no appeal to me in this life. If one desires a summit in the afterlife there are better views elswhere. The ghosthunters will have to check around Matthes Crest maybe.
March 10, 2010 05:03PM
Bee
szalkowski

B

Or maybe garry everybody's water!

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
March 10, 2010 05:25PM
Frank Furter
Bee
szalkowski

B

Or maybe garry everybody's water!

Yes! WHile spending an enternity ascending the cables, they will be required to garry 5 larrys of water!!
Re: HalfDometarianism
March 10, 2010 05:55PM
So what is a "Larry" in El Reg standard units?
March 10, 2010 06:05PM
A "larry" is a litre of water (we might be able to convince Old Dude to review the different specialized units of measurement uniquely associated with Half Dome)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login