Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: America the Beautiful Quarter Design Unveiling Planned

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

America the Beautiful Quarter Design Unveiling Planned
March 10, 2010 01:53PM
Poll
26 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
Which coin would you like to see?

Yosemite Quarter unveiling planned

Illegitimus nil Carborundum
avatar Re: America the Beautiful Quarter Design Unveiling Planned
March 10, 2010 02:13PM
Someone has seemingly realized that there is more to Yosemite than Half Dome.
March 10, 2010 03:24PM
szalkowski
Someone has seemingly realized that there is more to Yosemite than Half Dome.

I don't think it's final. I searched that site for the design candidates for the Yosemite quarter. They've got two designs with Yosemite Falls, one of El Capitan, and one of Half Dome.

http://news.coinupdate.com/2010-america-the-beautiful-quarters-design-candidates/

I've linked the thumbnails to the larger images.

I don't know what the grizzly bear in front of Yosemite Falls is supposed to represent. That design seems to have reduced flow too. Not sure if a stellar's jay is the greatest design either.
March 10, 2010 03:49PM
I would have liked to see Mt. Whitney or a giant Sequoia in the mix.

On second thoughts, the Half Dome cables would be a great representation of California's gridlocked government traffic.
March 10, 2010 03:59PM
wagga
I would have liked to see Mt. Whitney or a giant Sequoia in the mix.

That phase was over a while ago. Yosemite was selected, although I suppose Wawona Grove could have been represented.
March 10, 2010 04:50PM
Looks like a Black Bear to me. Hope they go with Yose Falls... either one...
March 10, 2010 05:08PM
bill-e-g

I thought it was a grizzly. It's not a really pronounced shoulder hump, but I haven't seen a black bear with that big a head in proportion to its body. Actually - I don't think I've ever heard of a Yosemite bear being that big. Most I've seen or saw in pictures were leaner looking than that quarter design.

It could be historical. winking smiley
March 10, 2010 05:14PM
They should just shock everyone and use one of the many beautiful back country views. Then folks will ask, "Where's that in Yosemite?"

Table Lake w/ a pink chicken?
March 24, 2010 05:06PM
bill-e-g

Didn't we decide that there should be cooler in the picture with the bear?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
March 24, 2010 09:48PM
Or a bear peeling open a car.

Old Dude
March 24, 2010 09:49PM
mrcondron
Or a bear peeling open a car.

That was my thought. winking smiley
March 24, 2010 11:12AM
March 24, 2010 04:37PM
Anybody really surprised?
March 24, 2010 07:23PM
March 24, 2010 09:04PM
I like Yosemite falls the best -- it has the most depth & interest. (the Half Dome looks just like the park logo -- we see enough of that already)
March 24, 2010 09:32PM
Gotta go with the Bear!

And I don;t mean Mike Ditka!
March 25, 2010 06:08AM
My favorite is the Falls and Jay, because of its depth. But it looks like El Cap has been chosen.

The Yellowstone and Grand Canyon quarters are beautiful too. My favorite of all is the Grand Canyon design (it's not just the typical view from the rim).
September 21, 2010 08:59AM
The United States Mint is launching the Grand Canyon National Park quarter this Tuesday (9/21). The event will take place at 1:30 pm (MST) between the Hopi House and Verkamp's Visitor Center. Following the ceremony, you can exchange your cash for $10 rolls of the Grand Canyon National Park quarter. If you can't make it to the event, you can check out the live webcast at the link below: http://bit.ly/atbquarters
Grand Canyon Quarter Launch Event Live Webcast 9/21 at 1:25 pm (MST)
March 25, 2010 06:33PM
America the Beautiful Quarters Program Features Yosemite National Park on New 2010 Quarter
Date: March 25, 2010

In a ceremony in Washington, D.C. yesterday, United States Mint Director Ed Moy, Secretary of Interior Ken Salazar, National Park Service Director Jon Jarvis, and other officials unveiled the designs for the first five coins in the new America the Beautiful quarter series. The America the Beautiful Quarters Program is a multi-year initiative to honor 56 national parks and other national sites in each state, the District of Colombia, and U.S. territories.

The program was authorized by Public Law 110-456 – the “America’s Beautiful National Parks Quarter Dollar Coin Act of 2008.” The act directs the U.S. Mint to strike and issue 56 circulating quarter-dollars with reverse (tails side) designs emblematic of a national park or other national site in each state, district, or territory. A portrait of George Washington will remain on the obverse of all the quarters.

The Yosemite quarter design features El Capitan, the iconic granite monolith towering over Yosemite Valley. The top of El Capitan looms over 3,000 feet above the Valley floor, with the summit at 7,569 feet above sea level. The quarter design also features the Merced River, which flows through Yosemite Valley. The Yosemite quarter, the third quarter in the series (after Hot Springs and Yellowstone National Parks), will be minted in July 2010.

“We are very excited to be one of the first parks featured in this new minting of quarters. The iconic images of Yosemite National Park are known throughout the world and we are honored that the park is featured on the quarter, which is sure to become a treasured collector’s item,” stated Yosemite National Park Superintendent Don Neubacher.

This quarter follows the California State Quarter, which was released in 2005. The quarter in this popular series featured Half Dome, John Muir, and the California Condor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2010 06:33PM by eeek.
March 25, 2010 07:47PM

My photo submission for the Yosemite coin got rejected! They tried to tell me Marmot Rock was too far off the beaten path. Then they tried to tell me there was no such thing as Marmot Rock. Where was Len Szalkowski when I really needed him? What do they know in Washington?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2010 07:54PM by tomdisco.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login