All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar New Book Profiles Park Rangers "Ranger Confidential"
March 25, 2010 05:01PM
http://www.wvmetronews.com/outdoors.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=36095

When we think of a National Park Service Park Ranger, the image in the minds of most Americans is extremely pleasant. We think of a gentle giant with a chiseled chin under the legendary "Smokey Bear" style hat who’s friendly and inviting. We have visions of a perfectly fitting, pristine uniform with a shiny badge and a hearty smile offering a friendly reminder to be careful with our campfires, don't feet the bears, and watch out for poison ivy.

Andrea Lankford had a similar image of the job when she joined the Park Service as a law enforcement ranger in the early 1990's. However, after 12-years her attitude toward the job radically changed. She documents the transformation in her new book "Ranger Confidential." ........

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Re: New Book Profiles Park Rangers "Ranger Confidential"
March 25, 2010 05:58PM
Looks interesting, I bought it on amazon (Thanks for posting it). I always thought being in law enforcement, that it would be fun to be a ranger and work at the place i love. I am sure this might change that or make it worse.
avatar Re: New Book Profiles Park Rangers "Ranger Confidential"
March 25, 2010 06:42PM
Roadrash
Looks interesting, I bought it on amazon (Thanks for posting it). I always thought being in law enforcement, that it would be fun to be a ranger and work at the place i love. I am sure this might change that or make it worse.

Be sure to give us some feedback. I notice that the publication date is about April 2, 2010, so it will be a while before my library has it.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Re: New Book Profiles Park Rangers "Ranger Confidential"
April 03, 2010 05:37PM
I got the book and it is pretty good. I wish it was all yosemite but there are Some great stories. I'm in the third chapter and it is talking about a story chasing and arresting campers without a wilderness permit that ran from the ranger and having to put down an aggressive bear. It really gives an insider view and so far it is pretty good.
avatar Re: New Book Profiles Park Rangers "Ranger Confidential"
May 10, 2010 05:42AM
I just finished reading Ranger Confidential. It is not great literature, but it is an entertaining series of vignettes, some that are less dramatic than expected. However, I was struck by the SAR details, the frequency of medical problems in the Grand Canyon, and the apparent dysfunctional bureaucracy that is the NPS. It was very disappointing and an eye-opener to read this report on the inside details of the careers of various law enforcement rangers.

-- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login