Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: 3-Day Trekj, Unknown Weather, Concerned White flag

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

3-Day Trekj, Unknown Weather, Concerned White flag
March 28, 2010 11:58PM
Hello All,

I have planned a trip to Yosemite with 5 other friends. I have a few questions which would be appreciated if they were answered soon.

I am planning to arrive on Tuesday night time. I booked the Upper Pines campground from March 30-April 2. Here are my questions:

1. Is it going to be a problem that I am checking in at night time instead of noon-3pm? Are they going to give it to a first-come first serve if I don't arrive during that period?

2. I hear a storm is coming on the exact dates of my arrival, will this be a problem driving in (snow chains, which roads should i take?)? Will it be a problem camping? Should I buy more equipment? Should I bring a tarp to make a shelter at the campsite in addition to the tents?

3. We plan on fishing, where are the best places to fish? Where should we go to get permits?

4. We are planning to hike Yosemite Falls, will we need snow shoes especially during the storm?

5. Should I be worried about water leaking into the tent while we're sleeping?

6. We were going to go to Half Dome too, but hear the cables are not up.

7. What type of gear is mandatory?

8. I am thinking of bring 3 bikes with me, will this be a problem in Yosemite?
avatar Re: 3-Day Trekj, Unknown Weather, Concerned White flag
March 29, 2010 12:52AM
endari
Hello All,

I have planned a trip to Yosemite with 5 other friends. I have a few questions which would be appreciated if they were answered soon.

I am planning to arrive on Tuesday night time. I booked the Upper Pines campground from March 30-April 2. Here are my questions:

1. Is it going to be a problem that I am checking in at night time instead of noon-3pm? Are they going to give it to a first-come first serve if I don't arrive during that period?

No, you have until 10 am the next day to claim your campsite.

2. I hear a storm is coming on the exact dates of my arrival, will this be a problem driving in (snow chains, which roads should i take?)? Will it be a problem camping? Should I buy more equipment? Should I bring a tarp to make a shelter at the campsite in addition to the tents?

Take highway 140 if the weather is bad.
Re: 3-Day Trekj, Unknown Weather, Concerned White flag
March 29, 2010 01:10AM
thank you, does anyone else have any other answers?
March 29, 2010 01:11AM
endari
thank you, does anyone else have any other answers?

You'll probably get some more in the morning.
March 29, 2010 02:08AM
endari
Hello All,

3. We plan on fishing, where are the best places to fish? Where should we go to get permits?

4. We are planning to hike Yosemite Falls, will we need snow shoes especially during the storm?

My first impression is that you have a very full plate here.

3. Fishing is not reasonable this time of year, in my opinion. (check regulations for the park http://www.yosemitepark.com/activities_raftingwatersports_fishing.aspx among other issues).

4. I don't know about the Yosemite Falls trail if snow covered. You do not want to stray off the trail so finding the trail as well as traction may be a concern during a snowstorm.

2,5, 7: Camping in foul weather is an art that involves a well thought out plan for how water and snow will impact your sleeping on the ground experience. Consider staying dry and warm as your main goal. Rain gear, layers, fleece, wool, etc. No problem with bringing an extra tarp for covering the tent if you can suspend it above the tent. If you put a tarp on the ground, it may funnel water under the tent but a small sheet in front of the door helps to keep the tent cleaner and drier.

6. The cables usually do not go up until just before Memorial Day weekend.

8: ? Three bicycles does not sound excessive but may not be your best choice of activity if snow and/or rain are expected.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
March 29, 2010 02:15AM
Here is a link to the NOAA forcast for the valley:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=37.745471560181194&lon=-119.58789825439453&site=hnx&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en

Looking at the forecast, you probably just want to leave the bikes at home. (Otherwise, in answer to your question, there is no problem in bringing them along.)

What kind of tent do you have? If you have any sort of decent tent, there is no reason that water leakage should be a problem. (The forecast looks like a smidgen of snow rather than rain anyway.)

Also, one or two tarps probably wouldn't hurt. You could use one as a ground cloth if you are worried about the tent. (Should not be sticking out beyond the footprint of the tent.) The other could be strung up to provide a "dry" protected area for food preparation, etc.

Not certain what you mean re. your question about mandatory gear. Strictly speaking, nothing is really mandatory. (Good evidence for this is seen in the many clowns that try the Half Dome hike in flip-flops and similar footgear - not to even mention other lapses in equipment, provisions, etc..) What is prudent is another question and depends on what you are planning on doing and your level of expertise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2010 02:31AM by szalkowski.
March 29, 2010 05:05AM
szalkowski

Also, one or two tarps probably wouldn't hurt. You could use one as a ground cloth if you are worried about the tent. (Should not be sticking out beyond the footprint of the tent.) The other could be strung up to provide a "dry" protected area for food preparation, etc.

Better stated than what I said about a ground tarp. A tarp larger than the tent tends to trap water and it ends up under the tent. Occasionally, I have put a tarp inside the tent on the floor to provide better separation from the muck and mire of wet weather. Large plastic garbage bags help to keep things dry or keep wet things separated from the rest of your gear.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
March 29, 2010 04:55AM
Make sure that your tent is seam sealed, and as mentioned, use a tarp for under the tent but make sure that it doesn't stick out from underneath the tent anywhere.

Not knowing how much snow the storm will bring, it's impossible to know for sure how it will impact the trails you mention. I wouldn't be surprised if you are able to hike these anyway (except to Half Dome because the cables won't be up). But if not, there is plenty to enjoy in the Valley. You're going to have a GREAT time.

You should carry and know how to put on, chains.
March 29, 2010 07:08AM
Ewe could just get one of these:

http://aditl.com/hike/gear/bothy-bag/index.html

Inside, just wear panty hose (Frank Dawd Farters favorite cold wether gears).

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 29, 2010 08:05AM
chick-on
Ewe could just get one of these:

http://aditl.com/hike/gear/bothy-bag/index.html

But can you cook a chicken inside it?
(signed)
The Beaks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2010 08:06AM by szalkowski.
March 29, 2010 08:55AM
Seems like they would get awfully steamy inside. The article mentions wearing rain gear inside of them, but I would think you would sweat a lot?
March 29, 2010 11:20AM

friends of mine (a group of 25 high school students plus adults) just hiked to the top of the falls on saturday 3/27 - they had no problems. didn't go to the bridge across the creek, but had no difficulties getting to the lookout right next to the falls.

seal your tent seams and then don't worry.

cables won't be up until may or june.

none, really (by the park service), but I wouldn't go without waterproof hiking boots, waterproof jacket & pants, and a nice warm cap.

some from the same group had an enjoyable bike ride from Curry Village to Yosemite Village and back, biking throughout the Valley was unimpeded, paths were all clear.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login