Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Best Backpacking/photo in the park

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Best Backpacking/photo in the park
April 04, 2010 11:24AM
Good afternoon,

I plan on visting yosemite in mid June ... I plan to backpack for 2 nights mid week. in an attempt top avoid the massive crowds

I am trying to maximize my fun and photo ops...

I enjoy thanking panoramics....

Can you give me a few tips??

Where is the best place to backpack? IM assuming permits are required?

Also what trails would be the best? for the little research I have done half dome and the mist trail stick out?

thoughts>???

THX so much
avatar Re: Best Backpacking/photo in the park
April 04, 2010 01:18PM
First of all, go to http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/backpacking.htm and click on most of the headers to get much of the information you need. Overnight permits are mandatory on the trails. 60% of permits are granted via advance reservation, 40% first come--first served. The popular trails are booked very quickly for walk-ins so be very flexible unless you can get an advanced reservation. The Mist trail is great for a day hike. Half Dome wll not reqiure a permit mid-week (they now require them even for day trips on weekends). See the the Half Dome permit threads on this forum. Be advised Half Dome is 16 miles round trip and 4,800' ascent from Yosemite Valley. Overnighters usually camp at Little Yosemite Valley backpacker's camp above Nevada Fall if overnighting to Half Dome but again, it books up very quickly.
April 04, 2010 02:35PM
Cathedral Lakes. Great shots of a lake and a dramatic peak reflected in that lake. Also lots of other panoramic shots from there. If you want to miss the crowds, try Clouds Rest instead of Half Dome. I've heard several people say the view is better from Clouds Rest than from Half Dome.
April 04, 2010 02:39PM
Dave
I've heard several people say the view is better from Clouds Rest than from Half Dome.

Yes, it's quite a bit better and you can look down at the ant trail on Half Dome.
April 04, 2010 02:41PM
Man....I think anywhere you go in the Sierra you will find fun and photo ops....
April 04, 2010 03:22PM
LeeVining
Man....I think anywhere you go in the Sierra you will find fun and photo ops....

Yep, you just have to keep your eyes open.
April 04, 2010 03:38PM
Dave
Cathedral Lakes. Great shots of a lake and a dramatic peak reflected in that lake.

OK, just to be contrary. No, not really, just to show that everyone sees things from a different perspective: Frankly I could never understand why Cathedral Lakes are so popular. True, it is a beautiful lake and setting, but that is by no means rare in Yosemite. The trail to CL is about as dull a one as you will find in Yosemite, and it's not particularly easy. Seems like you're always going up, and you don't have far-reaching views to take your mind off the climb.

What would I recommend? Hmmm. Mid June. That makes Tuolumne Meadows destinations questionable, though not out of the question. You might consider Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp (White Cascade) from TM. You also wouldn't be disappointed with one already mentioned, The Mist Trail, Little Yosemite Valley and Half Dome or Clouds Rest (from YV).
April 04, 2010 04:28PM
THX so much for all the info....

i am going to look in to clouds rest.... also it seems alot of the popular backpacking spots have been taken according to NPS... i am assuming there are 40% additional permits to be given out the day of????

So does that mean I should get there when the park opens.....??? to maximize my chances?

Also please continue to comment on the best trails for views and backpacking.... everyones opinion is greatly appreicated...

THX
April 04, 2010 04:57PM
campinman7,

I assume by backpacking spots you really mean trailheads. Permits are by trailhead entry point per predetermined daily quotas. As for the 40% first come-first served, that's not determined by park entrance time but rather by your place in line at any given Wilderness Permit Station. They don't all necessarily open at the same time and there is usually a line of people waiting for them to open, even on weekdays. The advanced reservations are booked as much as 24 weeks prior to trailhead entry date just to avoid the hit-or-miss 40% same day permits.

I personally think Cathedral Lakes would be an outstanding location for great photos but you can easily do that area on a day hike. You might have a shot at Clouds Rest entering via the Sunrise trailhead at Tenaya Lake but it's a crap shoot. As for the Little Yosemite Valley canyon area another possible approach is Mono Meadow trailhead off Glacier Point Road.

Somebody mentioned the trail to Glen Aulin HSC. Here you might have a better chance going for a Glen Aulin pass-through permit (camping somewhere other than the Glen Aulin HSC backpacker's camp). Another option for Glen Aulin is approaching via Murphy Creek trailhead at Tenaya Lake, again, morelikely on a Glen Aulin pass-through permit. It's further but you can come out via the trail returning to Tuolumne Meadows. All they care about is what trailhead you are entering and where you plan to spend your first night. After that you can revise your plan if you wish with exception of the pass-through stipulation.
April 04, 2010 09:05PM
campinman7
...i am going to look in to clouds rest.... also it seems alot of the popular backpacking spots have been taken according to NPS... i am assuming there are 40% additional permits to be given out the day of????....
Try this;
day one take bus to Cathedral Lakes Trail head. Camp at CLake.
day two hike to clouds rest and then to the valley back packers camp
day three do a day hike from Tunnel View.
April 04, 2010 09:35PM
campinman7
. . . snip . . . i am assuming there are 40% additional permits to be given out the day of????. . . snip
THX

This is an important point . . . You need to be at the head of the line at the permit office the day BEFORE you enter.
April 04, 2010 10:02PM
qumqats
campinman7
. . . snip . . . i am assuming there are 40% additional permits to be given out the day of????. . . snip
THX

This is an important point . . . You need to be at the head of the line at the permit office the day BEFORE you enter.

A couple years ago, the issuance of walk-in permits for the next day's trailhead quota did not proceed until after some specific time (I think that it may have been either 10 AM or 11 AM). Has this policy been changed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2010 10:17PM by szalkowski.
April 07, 2010 07:47AM
Vdrummers idea of hiking in from mono meadow sounds good for a back up plan

I'm assuming this would increase the hiking distance? If so how much longer?
April 07, 2010 09:51AM
campinman7

Mono Meadow to Nevada Fall is about 6.5, with modest elevation gain; that's about 3.5 miles more than going to Nevada Fall from Happy Isles.

Do you have Tom Harrison's Yosemite High Country Trail Map? I recommend getting it, or something similar, and you might come up with other options yourself, and you should definitely take such a map with you into the back country.
April 07, 2010 10:08AM
vdrummer
campinman7

Mono Meadow to Nevada Fall is about 6.5, with modest elevation gain; that's about 3.5 miles more than going to Nevada Fall from Happy Isles.

Do you have Tom Harrison's Yosemite High Country Trail Map? I recommend getting it, or something similar, and you might come up with other options yourself, and you should definitely take such a map with you into the back country.

Mono to LYV on day 1 is not allowed.

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 07, 2010 10:18AM
Oh, that's right! Thanks.
April 07, 2010 12:32PM
chick-on
vdrummer
campinman7

Huh! Is this a rule or an inside joke?
April 07, 2010 01:27PM
tomdisco
chick-on
vdrummer
campinman7

It's not a joke. It's the truth.

If you get Mono Meadow you are suppose to camp in Illiouette area 1st night. After that you can go to LYV.

April 07, 2010 01:40PM
chick-on
tomdisco
chick-on
vdrummer
campinman7

If you get Mono Meadow you are suppose to camp in Illiouette area 1st night. After that you can go to LYV.

Yes, that is correct - I backpacked that route last summer. We arrived at the trailhead mid-day, and had no designs on making LYV on day 1 anyway.
April 07, 2010 05:01PM
chick-on
tomdisco
chick-on
vdrummer
campinman7

One of my future hikes was to be the Red Peak loop beginning at Mono Meadow going clockwise and spending the first night in Lost Valley just below Bunnell Cascade. It's outside the LYV no camping zone. That's about 11.5 miles of first day hiking after the long drive to the trailhead. Are you saying I can't do this or does the rule only apply to folks going to the LYV backpacker's camp?
April 07, 2010 06:09PM
tomdisco
chick-on

One of my future hikes was to be the Red Peak loop beginning at Mono Meadow going clockwise and spending the first night in Lost Valley just below Bunnell Cascade. It's outside the LYV no camping zone. That's about 11.5 miles of first day hiking after the long drive to the trailhead. Are you saying I can't do this or does the rule only apply to folks going to the LYV backpacker's camp?

LOL - This is exactly what we did the first time we did that loop. It's not on the up and up.
We had no idea of the rule at that time.
That being said, you don't want to camp in Lost Valley. You don't.
You will have a hard time finding a place to camp in Lost Valley.
I've looked. Ok, maybe if it is only you then maybe. But it sux.
But a couple of tents... no .. unless you wanna camp illegally too... on the riverbank.
(which we did)
Lost Valley in day from Mono is prob. too much for most.

Other tidbits from that trip:
- Saw two Rattlesnakes in Merced Canyon. One was being moved by Ranger near LYV.
He said "I got a Rattlesnake" to which I said "cool, can I watch you release him?"
The answer was yes (GW was not pleased)
- Lost the Old Dude after Washburn after stepping off the trail with the misses to have snacky.
Old Dude was not found until many miles later. Still chugging along. Since then our #1 rule
is to stop at all junctions for each other unless it has been agreed differently.

Anway, maybe just go counter clockwise.

Dang, you're like a kid in a candy store with planned trips. (btw ... my list is about 20... just for this yr... and growing...) smiling smiley

Also, in response to this thread: There is no "best" place. It's all good. Just go. Anywhere!

April 07, 2010 06:13PM
chick-on
- Saw two Rattlesnakes in Merced Canyon. One was being moved by Ranger near LYV.
He said "I got a Rattlesnake" to which I said "cool, can I watch you release him?"

Do Chick-ons eat rattlesnake?

chicken head
April 08, 2010 12:50PM
chick-on
tomdisco
chick-on

LOL - This is exactly what we did the first time we did that loop. It's not on the up and up.
We had no idea of the rule at that time.
That being said, you don't want to camp in Lost Valley. You don't.
You will have a hard time finding a place to camp in Lost Valley.
I've looked. Ok, maybe if it is only you then maybe. But it sux.
But a couple of tents... no .. unless you wanna camp illegally too... on the riverbank.
(which we did)
Lost Valley in day from Mono is prob. too much for most.

Other tidbits from that trip:
- Lost the Old Dude after Washburn after stepping off the trail with the misses to have snacky.
Old Dude was not found until many miles later. Still chugging along. Since then our #1 rule
is to stop at all junctions for each other unless it has been agreed differently.

Anway, maybe just go counter clockwise.

Dang, you're like a kid in a candy store with planned trips. (btw ... my list is about 20... just for this yr... and growing...) smiling smiley

Also, in response to this thread: There is no "best" place. It's all good. Just go. Anywhere!

Yeh, I was wondering about Lost Valley as a viable location in terms of campsites. Looks like that entire hike needs to get re-engineered. Got plenty of time to figure it out.

As for the rule regarding first night in LYV or anywhere near it: Is it published anywhere readily accessible or do newbies just have to find out when they try to get their permit? Is the purpose of it to prevent Half Domers from skirting around the Mist trail or Glacier Point quotas? Does it apply only to Mono Meadow trailhead?

I know, maybe I should just hike all he way to Red Peak the first day, homestead for five nights at Red Devil Lake, and then hike all the way out! Will that satisfy them?
April 08, 2010 01:41PM
tomdisco
As for the rule regarding first night in LYV or anywhere near it: Is it published anywhere readily accessible or do newbies just have to find out when they try to get their permit? Is the purpose of it to prevent Half Domers from skirting around the Mist trail or Glacier Point quotas? Does it apply only to Mono Meadow trailhead?

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/trailheads.htm

To stay at the Little Yosemite Valley Campground, the following trailheads provide direct access:
From Yosemite Valley: Happy Isles to Little Yosemite Valley
From Glacier Point: Glacier Point to Little Yosemite Valley
If you have a permit for one of these two trailheads, you can spend the night at Little Yosemite Valley Campground (no additional reservation or permit required).

A number of trails from Tuolumne Meadows also provide indirect access to Little Yosemite Valley (20- to 40-mile hike). If you have a permit for one of these trailheads, you can spend the second night of your backpacking trip at Little Yosemite Valley Campground (no additional reservation or permit required).
April 08, 2010 01:44PM
tomdisco

I know, maybe I should just hike all he way to Red Peak the first day, homestead for five nights at Red Devil Lake, and then hike all the way out! Will that satisfy them?

The Park Service has done a really really good job IMO.
Check this out: It really details where you can camp at. (and mention NO LYV for Mono)

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/trailheadmap.pdf

They could do a better job in the TH descriptions themselves though.

Good luck on Red Peak Pass in 1 day. You get Super Chick-on status if you do that.
I was gonna do it last year but decided to stop at Ottoway Lakes instead (wanted to go up Red Peak).

Chickon Boo likey chicken head

April 04, 2010 04:51PM
Day 1: be in line at the permit office at 3am, sleep till office opens, get permit for Little Yosemite Valley ( not pass thru ) entering via Glacier Point for the next day, enjoy the day touristing in the valley, stay the night at the backpackers campground.
Day 2: Drive or take the hikers bus up to Glacier Point, take Panorama Trail to Little Yosemite Valley, spend the night.
Day 3: Half Dome or Clouds Rest, pack up camp and hike out going down either Mist Trail or JMT.

Just an idea of a possible trip.

It's going to take 3 days no matter what, since you don't have a permit you'll have to be there the day before you go in.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2010 05:10PM by qumqats.
April 04, 2010 05:03PM
Look into Young Lakes. Lots of photo ops on the way in and on the way out. Dingly Creek on the way in. Lots of geology. Lots of stuff at Young Lakes. Come out on the Dog Lake trail. Some photo ops looking south that not many people see. Park at the stables near Tuolumne Meadows. Get the permit at the Tuolumne Meadow wilderness permit station.

Old Dude
April 04, 2010 05:51PM
qumquats idea of

Day 1: be in line at the permit office at 3am, sleep till office opens, get permit for Little Yosemite Valley ( not pass thru ) entering via Glacier Point for the next day, enjoy the day touristing in the valley, stay the night at the backpackers campground.
Day 2: Drive or take the hikers bus up to Glacier Point, take Panorama Trail to Little Yosemite Valley, spend the night.
Day 3: Half Dome or Clouds Rest, pack up camp and hike out going down either Mist Trail or JMT.

really sounds like my style... a few questions.... im assuming the little yosemite valley trailhead permit is tough one to get..... but does everyone agree its worth it....???

also do you have designated areas you must camp? or is it pretty much just hike until you find a good spot and throw up for the night?

Would I need mulitple permits for this plan?

What are the positives and negatives to this plan?

Also tom's idea of Cathedral Lakes has me also excited so im thinking about an extra day to check this out.....

Thoughts? IF anyone has a better suggestion throw it out.... THX
April 04, 2010 09:43PM
campinman7

really sounds like my style... a few questions.... im assuming the little yosemite valley trailhead permit is tough one to get..... but does everyone agree its worth it....???

also do you have designated areas you must camp? or is it pretty much just hike until you find a good spot and throw up for the night?

Also tom's idea of Cathedral Lakes has me also excited so im thinking about an extra day to check this out.....

No, just one permit. Yes, LYV has a designated area - you won't have trouble finding it. If you don't stay there you must be either up the trail toward Merced Lake or up the other trail toward Clouds Rest - but if you want to do half dome, stay in LYV.

Spend more time on the Yosemite website clicking links. All rules and regulations are there - including how to rent the mandatory bear canister.

The positive - you see a lot of classic Yosemite scenery in a small window of time. Clouds is a better view than HD by far, without the cables or the line.

Also - in case you miss the warnings somehow - DO NOT go up to the top of either Clouds Rest or Half Dome if it is looking like a storm rolling in. Since there is more of a chance of this in the afternoon, get up there in the morning.
April 04, 2010 10:07PM
campinman7
qumquats idea of

Because everyone wants to do Half Dome, the two trail heads that lead to Half Dome/Clouds Rest are the first to fill up. These two trail heads are Happy Isles and Glacier Point. You can get to Little Yosemite Valley campground from both of these.

As to if it's worth it . . . I'd say all these suggestions are worth it. Yosemite is a beautiful place.

campinman7

There's a map at the permit office with grayed out zones that tell you where you can and can't camp. As I remember, most of the trail I suggested is in the "No Camping" zone. I think you have to get 2 miles past Little Yosemite Valley before you can camp.

campinman7

One entry, One permit required, for the # of people you have going.

campinman7

Pros:
) A little less uphill to the top of Half Dome/Clouds Rest
) A choice of Half Dome or Clouds Rest, or both if you're a Superman, or stay an extra day!
) Good selection of some of the best views in the valley area, Glacier Point, Illilouette Nevada Vernal Falls, the views from the top of Half Dome/Clouds Rest, the view from the top of Nevada Fall, the view from the top of Vernal Fall and hiking alongside Vernal and Nevada Falls ( if you go down Mist Trail ).
) If your lower legs are in good shape and not wiped out after everything else, go down Mist Trail, otherwise do John Muir Trail. Not quite as good of views ( look behind you at Nevada Fall ) and a mile longer, but MUCH easier than the steep trail and stairs on Mist Trail.

Cons:
) Transportation, You're either stuck with the schedule of the hikers bus, or you have to worry about leaving a car at Glacier Point and somehow getting back to it on the last day.
) Doing Half Dome/Clouds Rest AND hiking out in the same day may be pushing it.

BTW: when I'm saying Half Dome/Clouds Rest I'm intending one or the other, you'd have to be a SuperMan to do both in the same day, even from LYV.

campinman7

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2010 10:12PM by qumqats.
April 05, 2010 07:17AM
campinman7,

I lead you astray regarding same day permits. It is actually same day or preferably the day before. In any event I can not overemphasize the importance of having a flexible schedule ready to go at the permit office if you can not get your first choice. Also, a point of clarification: Multiple permits are required if you enter a trailhead, spend a night or two, completely exit the trail system and then want to enter a different trailhead overnight.
April 05, 2010 11:18AM
Also

where do you park for this agenda ?

THX
April 05, 2010 11:15AM
If I do this hike (below) then Cathedral Lakes

Day 3: Half Dome or Clouds Rest, pack up camp and hike out going down either Mist Trail or JMT

What are the trail permits I will need? Little yosemite valley? THX
April 05, 2010 05:20PM
You need one permit for trailhead "Glacier Point to Little Yosemite Valley". The NPS trailhead page does not indicate where to park for that trailhead. I presume you can park in the same huge lot used by daytime visitors to Glacier Point but perhaps others can speak to that issue better than I can. I never understood why some trailheads have no published parking areas on the website.
April 05, 2010 07:08PM
The Glacier Pt. parking area furthest back has some bear boxes. No doubt this is where backpackers are allowed to park.
April 05, 2010 07:28PM
Outside the valley you can park just about anywhere overnight but no camping. Hetch Hetchy is a lot different. You need a parking permit and must park in the backpackers parking area.

Old Dude
April 04, 2010 04:58PM
If you're looking for panoramic shots in mid June, go to Galcier point and Taft point. I could recommend more high country options, but in mid June, there probably will still be a lot of snow around in the high country.
April 04, 2010 05:10PM
If 120 is not open in mid June then look into coming up from the Tunnel View and hiking along the Pohono Trail as far east as you want before heading back. If you are a bit adventurous you can go down to the valley floor via the Four Mile Trail and hitch-hike back to the tunnel. There may even be a shuttle at that time of year. Many sights from the south rim.

Old Dude
April 06, 2010 04:42AM
OK THX SO MUCH FOR ALL THE INFO

my plan is Day 1: be in line at the permit office at 3am, sleep till office opens, get permit for Little Yosemite Valley ( not pass thru ) entering via Glacier Point for the next day, enjoy the day touristing in the valley, stay the night at the backpackers campground.

getting the pemit for Glacier Point to Little Yosemite Valley

afterwards a possible day hike to Cathedral Lakes

any ideas on a back up plan? im sure that there is a high chance this permit will be taken...
April 06, 2010 08:03AM
campinman7

any ideas on a back up plan? im sure that there is a high chance this permit will be taken...

You could hike to LYV from Mono Meadow trailhead, then exit at Glacier Point or down in the Valley. You'd have to count on hitchhiking back to the car if you leave it at Mono Meadow.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login