Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Edison to Florence

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 14, 2010 02:05PM
Anybody have advice on hiking from Lake Edison to Lake Florence?
April 15, 2010 09:34AM
I've never done that stretch, but I found this report.
http://www.scaruffi.com/travel/edison.html

Maybe some other people will chime in.
April 15, 2010 02:21PM
The trail is pretty straight forward, plenty of water, well traveled trail, two 12 mile days, or three eight mile days, no major elevation gains or losses.
Car transport is an issue if you hike only one way.

Old Dude
April 15, 2010 06:16PM
mrcondron
two 12 mile days, or three eight mile days, no major elevation gains or losses.

So it's a dayhike for the Chick-on?
April 17, 2010 07:25PM
eeek
mrcondron
two 12 mile days, or three eight mile days, no major elevation gains or losses.

So it's a dayhike for the Chick-on?

Easy

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 17, 2010 07:34PM
Big Mike der... uh... 3k ft. not much elevation gain?

We went Bear Ridge Trail to Bear Creek Trail.
Highly recommend, if you can, check out if you can start at Bear Creek Diversion Dam
instead of having to hike up and over Bear Ridge.

The trail up Bear Creek is very very nice. Loved it. It's much nicer IMO than JMT in that area.
Not much difference in trail miles or elevation if you go JMT or Bear Creek.

April 17, 2010 11:52PM
3K can be hard but 4K is major.

Four Mike Trail hard.
HH to Moraine Ridge and into Jack Main major

Old Dude
April 18, 2010 07:55AM
mrcondron

Four Mike Trail hard.

What about Table Lake?
April 18, 2010 08:00AM
A mere day hike.

Old Dude
April 18, 2010 08:02AM
eeek
mrcondron

Four Mike Trail hard.

What about Table Lake?

Cake

Mikey Likes It!

April 18, 2010 08:33AM
I found another way just for you:

JMT to Lake Italy - Italy Pass - Pine Creek Pass - Down the Piute hooking back up with JMT - out to Florence.

4600ft. gain ish (or more) and < 40 miles.

Do that way! (and tell me how it went!)

Chickon Boo

April 21, 2010 05:15PM
Hey man, you never respond to my Lake Italy suggestion.

April 21, 2010 06:13PM
chick-on

Seems a bit much for a two day hike.
April 21, 2010 06:18PM
eeek
chick-on

Seems a bit much for a two day hike.

You no stipulate two days. Take four days and smell the flowers.

April 21, 2010 11:16PM
I'm guessing you're considering taking the ferry across Edison, hiking the JMT over Bear Ridge, up Bear Creek, over Selden Pass to Blaney Meadows, then down to Florence Lake for its ferry?

Alot of effort climbing from Edison up over Bear Ridge without much in the way of interesting views as one tends to be in forest. Much more efficient to start at Bear Diversion Dam and hike up Bear Creek. And a quite interesting route past some of the most beautiful creek pools in the Sierra.
April 22, 2010 06:33AM
DavidSenesac
I'm guessing you're considering taking the ferry across Edison, hiking the JMT over Bear Ridge, up Bear Creek, over Selden Pass to Blaney Meadows, then down to Florence Lake for its ferry?

Alot of effort climbing from Edison up over Bear Ridge without much in the way of interesting views as one tends to be in forest. Much more efficient to start at Bear Diversion Dam and hike up Bear Creek. And a quite interesting route past some of the most beautiful creek pools in the Sierra.

David, dats what I said above. smiling smiley The route up Bear Creek is a gem. Although the actual trail we took was actually the Bear Creek Cutoff to Bear Creek.
Bear Creek Cuttoff... not that great. We were told the Bear Ridge Trail not that great either. Mostly forest too.
Looking at the pic I took Mike and I shoulda went to the Diversion Dam since it's obvious that you can drive there.
At that time anything that would allow us to not have to walk on the lakebed for seemingly half the lake was fine.

April 24, 2010 04:33PM
Yup yuz did! I had to take the inefficient cutoff trail once when the diversion dam quota was full. Main issue with the diversion dam is one needs 4wd and it isn't easy with low underbody clearance as with my Suburu. Coming in at night with a Subu, a strong flashlight, spotter, and shovel is pretty much necessary. With typical hi clearance 4wd it is trivial although trying to figure out where the road goes over the bedrock areas can be a night time challenge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2010 04:35PM by DavidSenesac.
April 27, 2010 08:24AM
Zoom zoom zoom.

Thanks for the info David.

The cutoff is about 700ft. climb up and right back down in 3 miles.

April 27, 2010 01:40PM
DavidSenesac
Yup yuz did! I had to take the inefficient cutoff trail once when the diversion dam quota was full. Main issue with the diversion dam is one needs 4wd and it isn't easy with low underbody clearance as with my Suburu. Coming in at night with a Subu, a strong flashlight, spotter, and shovel is pretty much necessary. With typical hi clearance 4wd it is trivial although trying to figure out where the road goes over the bedrock areas can be a night time challenge.

Can someone clarify travel comments here? Is this a 4wd road or trail, and if a road is there a quota for vehicles?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
April 27, 2010 04:03PM
Frank Furter
DavidSenesac

Can someone clarify travel comments here? Is this a 4wd road or trail, and if a road is there a quota for vehicles?

Dawg, the Bear Creek Diversion Dam Road (see picture above) is a OHV "road/trail".
To quote the sign:
"This is an Unimproved Road NOT maintained by the Forest Service"
"Travel at your own risk"
"Not advisable for other than 4 wheel drive and trail bikes"
"Travel off posted route is prohibited"

Another note:
The nearby Mono Hot Springs "Resort?" has Legendary Bison Burgers and Bison Patty Melts.

April 27, 2010 04:07PM
Uh.. quota for vehicles? Never heard of that one.

Got my cars mixed up ... Zoom zoom s Masda, not Subaru (funny u misspelled it though)
smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login