All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tioga Pass Progress
April 20, 2010 12:46AM
Hi,

I have seen the post by Dave regarding Glacier point road providing the update re plowing. Is there any update on Tioga Road/Pass ?

I'm interested to see regular updates as there has been in the past, but at present I can't find any - and the nps site hasn't been updated.

Thanks,
Duncan
April 20, 2010 12:48AM
I'll post updates as soon as I find them. So far not one word from NPS about the plowing. Last year they started Tioga a week late and I'm wondering if that's what is happening.
April 20, 2010 07:31AM
I'll be back at work on Wednesday. I'll ask around.
Re: Tioga Pass Progress
April 20, 2010 10:07AM
You can often get updates from The Daily Report.

The Daily Report - Yosemite National Park
April 20, 2010 12:44PM
As of April 20th they report they have plowed a total of 4 miles.
April 20, 2010 02:40PM
Thanks Louis. That sounds like they've made a significant amount of progress. Anyone know how many miles in total they need to plow?
April 20, 2010 02:59PM
DuncanMeyers
Thanks Louis. That sounds like they've made a significant amount of progress. Anyone know how many miles in total they need to plow?

It's roughly 45 miles from the gate at Crane Flat to the Tioga Pass entrance.
The amount of plowing that the NPS needs to do depends on how far into the park CalTrans decides to plow from the east. (Typically they will plow over to the Tuolumne Meadows area - about 8 miles.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2010 03:03PM by szalkowski.
April 20, 2010 03:07PM
So roughly 37 miles, of which 4 miles have already been done? I know everyone is going to be extremely pessimistic here, but I think it's looking good :-)
April 20, 2010 03:53PM
DuncanMeyers
So roughly 37 miles, of which 4 miles have already been done? I know everyone is going to be extremely pessimistic here, but I think it's looking good :-)
Sure, but don't plan on it going that good all the way. I remember a few years ago they were doing good but ran into a frozen avalanche at Olmstead. It was a solid chunk of ice they couldn't get through. It caused a delay of 3 or 4 days.
April 20, 2010 04:17PM
I recall times when they have run into boulders and downed trees buried in the snow that did major damage to the rotary plows. Also, I think the density of the snow has a lot of effect on their progress...especially when they get into the really deep stuff. Let's hope all goes well and they don't have any delays this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2010 04:18PM by Louis.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login