Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (54% of Full)

Advanced

Tioga Road Plowing Reports

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Tioga Road Plowing Reports
April 20, 2010 03:30PM
April 20, 2010 update

Start: Crane Flat
End: Walker Party
Miles plowed: 4 miles
Average snow depth: 6 feet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2010 03:40PM by eeek.
avatar Re: Tioga Road Plowing Reports
April 20, 2010 03:50PM
Does anyone have a map with all these place names on it? I know the major ones. like Crane Flat, but others are a mystery and I've worked in the park for 6 years now.
Re: Tioga Road Plowing Reports
April 21, 2010 10:24AM
Where is the information coming from in regards to Tioga plowing operations beginning?
April 21, 2010 12:38PM
The source of the plowing updates is:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2010 12:40PM by Louis.
April 22, 2010 01:27PM
As of last Monday Caltrans has made it to Ellery Lake on the east side.
April 22, 2010 02:32PM
Rick,

Here's a new bit of info from the Mono Lake Site. It appears Caltrans has run into a snag.

http://www.monolake.org/today/2010/04/22/eastern-access-to-tioga-pass-delayed/
April 22, 2010 03:31PM
We'll just have to wait to see what "several weeks" actually means. winking smiley
April 26, 2010 11:07AM
There is a plowing update posted this morning in The Daily Report
April 26, 2010 02:18PM
Tioga Road Update:
Starting location is 9 miles from Crane Flat Gate.
Ending location is 12 miles from Crane Flat Gate. (8000 foot mark).
Plowing operation will continue today and expecting snow storm this week.

Glacier Point Update:
Starting location is Summit Meadow.
Plowing through 8 and 9 feet of snow.
Plowing operations will continue today and expecting snow storm this week.

Mariposa Grove Update:
Administrative traffic to lower parking lot will be permissible this week.
Please beware of bring in heavy equipment over road way still soft under road way.
April 28, 2010 01:04PM
April 27, 2010 update

Tioga Road:
Start: 8,000 ft mark
End: White Wolf Junction (11.9 miles from Crane Flat)
Average snow depth: 7 feet

Glacier Point Road:
Start: 1 mile east of Badger Pass
End: 1.8 miles east of Badger Pass
Average snow depth: 9 feet and very wet/heavy

Note: Once the Glacier Point Road opens for the season, it will be open Saturdays and Sundays only until May 27. (It will also be open on May 21.) After May 27, the road will be open every day until fall closing.
April 28, 2010 11:04PM
Looks like the nps site has been updated with a very useful map showing current progress:

Goooooo snow plows!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2010 11:05PM by DuncanMeyers.
avatar CalTrans Ostensibly At Tioga Pass
April 29, 2010 09:24AM
April 29, 2010 04:35PM
April 29, 2010

Glacier Point Road:
End location is Summit Meadow.
Plowing through 8 and 9 feet of snow.
Plowing operations will continue today

Note: Once the Glacier Point Road opens for the season, it will be open Saturdays and Sundays only through May 27. (It will also be open on May 21.) Beginning May 28, the road will be open every day until fall closing.

Tioga Road:
Tioga plowing operations were halted due to wet slab avalanche activity at the South Fork avalanche zone. With freezing temperatures forecast, plowing ops are expected to resume today.
April 29, 2010 04:36PM

Avalance along Tioga Road, 4/28/10
NPS Photo
April 30, 2010 12:50AM
Could someone link me to google maps or something similar of where the "eatern gate at Tioga pass" is please?

Tioga Road Plowed to Eastern Yosemite Gate

I just spoke to a nice ranger at the Lee Vining ranger station. They informed me that Tioga Road is indeed open all the way up to the eastern gate at Tioga Pass.

That means Mt. Dana is accessible for the annual backcountry skiing pilgrimage to the Dana Couloir. It also means I'm headed for the mountains this weekend
April 30, 2010 04:07AM
DuncanMeyers
Could someone link me to google maps or something similar of where the "eatern gate at Tioga pass" is please?

I just spoke to a nice ranger at the Lee Vining ranger station. They informed me that Tioga Road is indeed open all the way up to the eastern gate at Tioga Pass.

That means Mt. Dana is accessible for the annual backcountry skiing pilgrimage to the Dana Couloir. It also means I'm headed for the mountains this weekend

The eastern gate is the the eastern gate to Yosemite. Look at a map of Yosemite and the eastern gate is where highway 120 crosses the park boundary, going toward Lee Vining.
April 30, 2010 05:28AM
DuncanMeyers

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=37.910736,-119.257922&spn=0.003724,0.00677&t=k&z=17
April 30, 2010 05:45AM
Thanks szalkowski.

That in it's self looks like a significant amount of road to plow from Lee Vining.

Fingers crossed a few good weeks of weather will mean they can open up the pass in similar dates to previous years. I know it's extremely unlikely but I can still hope smiling smiley
April 30, 2010 09:42AM
DuncanMeyers
That in it's self looks like a significant amount of road to plow from Lee Vining.

It's 12 miles and 3.1k elevation gain from the US395-SR120 intersection to the park entrance.
April 30, 2010 10:30AM
Caltrans will plow from the 395 to the entrance way before the Park service will get to the gate.
April 30, 2010 12:00PM
Javmp
Caltrans will plow from the 395 to the entrance way before the Park service will get to the gate.

They'll probably continue plowing all the way to Tuolumne Meadows.
April 30, 2010 07:35PM
I'm sure they do have the road plowed all the way from the east but as of today it isn't open to traffic. The lower gate is still closed and locked.
April 30, 2010 09:00PM
Louis
I'm sure they do have the road plowed all the way from the east but as of today it isn't open to traffic. The lower gate is still closed and locked.

Plowing is one thing; opening is another. They usually have a lot of work to do on the road after the plowing is finished.
May 01, 2010 05:37AM
The thing about the plowing is this. It doesn't really matter. Every year we go through this, how deep is the snow. How many fallen trees. When does the road open. Round and round we go.
May 01, 2010 08:03AM
Vince
The thing about the plowing is this. It doesn't really matter. Every year we go through this, how deep is the snow. How many fallen trees. When does the road open. Round and round we go.

Every year we also have new people on the forum who are not aware of the procedure.
May 01, 2010 08:19AM
szalkowski

Every year we also have new people on the forum who are not aware of the procedure.

Some are just interested. Some lack patience. Some don't know. Which ever is the case it guarantees us something to write about each year.
May 01, 2010 08:07PM
I have June 10th in one pool. Should we start one here? The winner gets bragging rights and a free pass to the Lower Yosemite Falls Trail.
May 01, 2010 08:20PM
I couldn't even begin to aspire to accept that magnificent prize. June 31st.?
May 01, 2010 10:02PM
And the loser gets a free trail pass to Upper Yosemite Falls with a side trip to El Capitan via the mystery trail.

Old Dude
May 02, 2010 12:23AM
mrcondron
And the loser gets a free trail pass to Upper Yosemite Falls with a side trip to El Capitan via the mystery trail.

There'a a trail? Grinning Devil
May 02, 2010 07:54AM
mrcondron

Mike, you beat me to it.
May 02, 2010 09:42AM
mrcondron
... with a side trip to El Capitan via the mystery trail.

Is it true that this trail can also be seen from Little Diomede island?
May 02, 2010 05:00PM
szalkowski
mrcondron
... with a side trip to El Capitan via the mystery trail.

Is it true that this trail can also be seen from Little Diomede island?

No, but you can see the plows from the trail:

May 03, 2010 11:53AM
Tioga Road:
Due to the Avalanche on Wed. and new snow accumulation, Roads crew did clean-up. End Location Lukens Lake. Average snow depth 8 to 9 feet of snow. Plowing operations will continue today.

Glacier Point Update:
End location is West of Bridalveil Creek. Average snow depth 6 to 7 feet of snow. Plowing operations will continue today.

Mariposa Grove Update:
Administrative traffic to lower parking lot will be permissible this week. Please beware of bring in heavy equipment over road way, Spring storms are not allowing the road base to dry out. Due to high water tables, major road damage will occur until road base is dry.
May 04, 2010 01:18PM
Tioga Road Update:
Ending location is Porcupine Summit 23.6 miles from Crane Flat Gate. Average Snow Depth is 7 fee.t Plowing operation will continue today.

Glacier Point Update: Ending location is near Washburn Point. Average Snow Depth is 6 feet Plowing operations will continue today.

May 05, 2010 02:09PM
Tioga Road Update:
Ending location is May Lake Pit 26.6 miles from Crane Flat Gate. Average Snow Depth is 8 to 9 feet.Plowing operation will continue today

Glacier Point Update:
Ending location is Glacier Point Parking Lot average Snow Depth is 5 to 6 feet. Plowing operations will continue today.
May 06, 2010 12:59AM
Anymore news on how CalTrans are doing from the East?
May 06, 2010 09:21AM
DuncanMeyers
Anymore news on how CalTrans are doing from the East?

The report I saw dated May 2 said Caltrans plows are still at Ellery Lake and haven't made it to the pass as yet. Also they still have to clear the rock slide on the lower part of the road. The Mono Lake site says the east side will be closed for most of or all of May.
May 06, 2010 02:14PM
Tioga Road Update:
Ending location is Olmsted Point Parking Lot. Average Snow Depth is 8 to 9 feet Plowing operation will continue today.

Glacier Point Update:
Crew is working back from Glacier Point to widen and Clean roadway. Average Snow Depth is 5 to 6 feet Plowing operations will continue today.
May 10, 2010 02:39PM
May 10, 2010

Glacier Point Road:
Crew is working back from Glacier Point to widen and clean roadway. Average Snow Depth is 4 feet. Contractor is working on road from Chinquapin to Badger Pass. Plowing operations will continue today.
Note: If the Glacier Point Road opens for the season prior to May 28, it will be open Saturdays and Sundays only through May 27 (plus Friday, May 21) due to road work. Delays may occur after May 28, but the road will be open seven days per week.

Tioga Road:
Crew is currently at Spring Hill avalanche zone, 31.7 miles from Crane Flat. Plowing continues Monday-Saturday. Average snow depth is 4 to 6 feet. Plowing operation continues today.
May 11, 2010 03:29PM
Any idea if the Glacier Point tour buses will be running up there this weekend?
May 11, 2010 03:30PM
catmomma
Any idea if the Glacier Point tour buses will be running up there this weekend?

The road isn't open yet.
May 10, 2010 05:59PM
Where is the Spring Hill avalanche zone in relation to Olmsted?
May 10, 2010 07:11PM
Louis

I think it's the hill heading out of Tenaya Lake to the east.
May 10, 2010 07:23PM
eeek
Louis

I think it's the hill heading out of Tenaya Lake to the east.

It is.
Tracing the Tioga Road from the Crane Flat gate on TOPO! puts Olmsted at 28.5 miles. The quoted 31.7 miles puts one halfway between the E end of Tenaya and Pywiack Dome.
May 10, 2010 07:50PM
May 10, 2010 11:40PM
Still no news on Caltrans from the east?
May 11, 2010 12:05AM
DuncanMeyers
Still no news on Caltrans from the east?

I spent some time looking around today. Didn't find a thing.
May 11, 2010 12:47AM
Ahh shame sad smiley Thanks for the continuous updates on the progress from the West though, it's much appreciated. So the NPS are just over 6 miles away from Tuolumne Meadows? Although I did notice the special weather statement which looks like they'll have to re-plow some areas Tuesday evening sad smiley
May 11, 2010 04:13AM
DuncanMeyers
Although I did notice the special weather statement which looks like they'll have to re-plow some areas Tuesday evening sad smiley

They always have to go back over what they've done at least once before the road opens. It's a lot after than the initial plow through though.
May 11, 2010 05:31AM
eeek
It's a lot after than the initial plow through though.

Do you mean a lot quicker than the initial plow, or doesn't occur till quite a while after the initial plow?
May 11, 2010 03:01PM
It's a lot quicker.
May 11, 2010 03:17PM
Tioga Road Update:
Crew currently at Pothole Dome 37 plowed miles of 42 miles.
Plowing continues Monday - Saturday.
Average Snow Depth is 4 to 6 feet Plowing operation will continue today

Glacier Point Update:
Crew is working back from Glacier Point to widen and Clean roadway.
Crews are also Sweeping and Patching Potholes
Contractor is working on road from Chinquapin to Badger Pass.
Essential Administrative traffic only.
Average Snow Depth is 4 feet Plowing operations will continue today
May 11, 2010 04:52PM
Wow. They have made good time during the past few days. Olmsted must have been an easy plow this year.
May 12, 2010 09:16AM
Hi

Im new to this, im hoping to drive the pass on May 22nd over to Death Valley from Yosemite, looks like they are making good progress, does anyone reckon the pass will be open by then?

Thanks
May 12, 2010 10:53AM
Yorkshirelad
Hi

Im new to this, im hoping to drive the pass on May 22nd over to Death Valley from Yosemite, looks like they are making good progress, does anyone reckon the pass will be open by then?

Thanks

EXTREMELY unlikely.
(Working on the premise that nothing is impossible.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2010 12:19AM by szalkowski.
May 12, 2010 01:40PM
Yorkshirelad
Hi

Thanks

The last I heard Caltrans is planning to have Hwy 108 over Sonora Pass open by May 22. That's the next pass to the north and a beautiful drive. You might keep it in mind as an alternative to Tioga.
May 12, 2010 07:37PM
88 is good too.

Old Dude
May 13, 2010 02:55PM
Louis
Yorkshirelad
Hi

Thanks

The last I heard Caltrans is planning to have Hwy 108 over Sonora Pass open by May 22. That's the next pass to the north and a beautiful drive. You might keep it in mind as an alternative to Tioga.

But don't count on it. It is snowing right now.
May 14, 2010 03:13AM
Thanks for that i did consider the Sonora pass but that would add an extra 2 hours on my 6 hour + drive to death valley! looks like ill have to go via Bakersfield and stop at Mojave, i take it this route is not very scenic once outside the park
May 14, 2010 07:03AM
Yorkshirelad
Thanks for that i did consider the Sonora pass but that would add an extra 2 hours on my 6 hour + drive to death valley! looks like ill have to go via Bakersfield and stop at Mojave, i take it this route is not very scenic once outside the park

According to Google Maps, the Sonora Pass route from Yosemite Valley to Panamint Springs (about 15 mi. outside the W entrance to Death Valley) is about 370 miles with an estimated travel time of around 7 hr. 20 min. while the Fresno/Bakersfield/Mohave route is 400 mi. and 6 hr. 50min.

Recommend taking the Sonora Pass route: the "Eastside" drive S down 395 and its views of the Sierra escarpment, the White Mountains, and the "High Barren Wave" of the Inyo Range are infinitely preferable to the freeway route.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2010 08:07AM by szalkowski.
May 12, 2010 04:51PM
There's a new update on the Mono Lake website concerning plowing from the east.

http://www.monolake.org/today/2010/05/12/tioga-pass-lower-gate-still-closed/
May 14, 2010 07:36PM
Louis
There's a new update on the Mono Lake website concerning plowing from the east.

I saw the gate open yesterday. But it was just because a guy was going up to the resort and had a key.
May 13, 2010 12:56AM
May 12, 2010

Glacier Point Road:
Crew had to plow and sand from new snow accumulation and is now working back from Glacier Point to widen and clean roadway. Crews are also Sweeping and Patching Potholes. Average Snow Depth is 4 feet Plowing operations will continue today.

Contractor is working on the road from Chinquapin to Badger Pass.

Note: If the Glacier Point Road opens for the season prior to May 28, it will be open Saturdays and Sundays only through May 27 (plus Friday, May 21) due to road work. Delays may occur after May 28, but the road will be open seven days per week.

Tioga Road:
Crew currently at Visitor Center: 38.6 plowed miles of 42 miles. Plowing continues Monday - Saturday. Average Snow Depth is 4 to 6 feet. Plowing operation will continue today.
May 13, 2010 04:05AM
Hi everybody!

I´m from Spain and I´m going to the USA west coast on June. I would like to know your opinion about if the Tioga Pass could be open on 8th June (for the experiencie you have)

Thanks in advance!
May 13, 2010 07:32AM
crixy
Hi everybody!

I´m from Spain and I´m going to the USA west coast on June. I would like to know your opinion about if the Tioga Pass could be open on 8th June (for the experiencie you have)

Thanks in advance!

Yes, I think it will be open by that date. Unless something unexpected happens, of course.
May 13, 2010 09:40AM
Louis
crixy
Hi everybody!

Thanks in advance!

Yes, I think it will be open by that date. Unless something unexpected happens, of course.

Thanks for your fast answer. I hope it will be open as you thinksmiling smiley I will continue checking the information that you post!
May 14, 2010 09:02PM
May 14, 2010.

Tioga Road Update: Crew currently Past Road Camp at 41.4 plowed miles of 42
miles. (9000 feet) Plowing continues Monday - Saturday. Average Snow Depth
is 4 to 6 feet Plowing operation will continue today Glacier Point Update:
Crew is working back from Glacier Point to widen and Clean roadway. Crews
are also Sweeping and Patching Potholes Contractor is working on road from
Chinquapin to Badger Pass. Essential Administrative traffic only. Average
Snow Depth is 4 feet Plowing operations will continue today
May 14, 2010 09:31PM
Latest rumor: Caltrans will try to get the gate opened by Memorial Day weekend.

Maybe this is why they are taking so long?

May 14, 2010 11:09PM
On some sections of the road that's what it takes to get started.

Old Dude
May 16, 2010 08:37AM
I tried to comment a few days ago but it took a while to register. (The registration confirmation went to junk mail.)

Last week, Mono County took over at the gate at Tioga Pass (from CalTrans) to plow west to meet NPS crews. It appears by the latest report, yesterday they should've met, so now work will be on widening, clearing debris, etc. They have today off.

On our local news last week, it was reported that everyone is trying to get the road open for Memorial Day weekend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2010 08:39AM by hikerchick395.
May 17, 2010 12:23PM
Tioga Road Update: Crew currently punched through to Tioga!! The crew will be working on widening the road. Plowing continues Monday - Saturday. Average Snow Depth is 4 to 6 feet Plowing operation will continue today.

Glacier Point Update: Crew is working back from Glacier Point to widen and clean roadway. Crews are also sweeping and patching potholes. Contractors are working on road from Chinquapin to Badger Pass. Essential Administrative traffic only. Average Snow Depth is 4 feet. Plowing operations will continue today. (M. Matheson 5/17/2010)
May 18, 2010 12:02PM
Tioga Road Update:
The crew will be working on widening the road and clearing Administrative areas. Plowing continues Monday - Saturday. Average Snow Depth is 4 to 6 feet. Plowing operation will continue today.

Glacier Point Update:
Crew is working back from Glacier Point to widen and Clean roadway. Crews are also Sweeping and Patching Potholes. Contractor is working on road from Chinquapin to Badger Pass. Essential Administrative traffic only. Average Snow Depth is 4 feet. Plowing operations will continue today.
May 18, 2010 01:38PM
And to make things even more fun:

Expect 30-minute daytime delays for roadwork from May Lake to Tioga Pass in July and August 2010.
May 18, 2010 04:39PM
eeek
And to make things even more fun:

Expect 30-minute daytime delays for roadwork from May Lake to Tioga Pass in July and August 2010.

Well...if I gotta be stuck in a traffic jam I can't think of a better place.
May 18, 2010 01:39PM

Tioga Road near Olmsted Point, 5/07/10.
NPS Photo
May 18, 2010 03:57PM
May 21, 2010 01:00AM
Any news on plowing progress? Here is a new pic from the NPS site:

May 21, 2010 12:21PM
That looks like a lot of snow.
May 21, 2010 03:24PM
Tioga Road Update:

The crew will be working on widening the road and clearing Administrative areas. Administrative traffic is only allowed with approval from Tim Ludington or Lou Summerfield.

Any personnel on Tioga MUST have avalanche certification

Plowing continues Monday - Saturday.
Average Snow Depth is 4 to 6 feet Plowing operation will continue today
May 22, 2010 08:16AM
The lower gate on the east side is open. At least it was yesterday. Click Here for report.
May 22, 2010 12:13PM
Fingers crossed for a miracle and it opens on Thursday!
May 24, 2010 08:51AM
The lower gate on the east side is closed again. The last storm dumped 12 inches of snow at Tioga Pass.

Update from Mono Lake Site
May 26, 2010 12:40PM
Glacier Point Road will open for the season on Friday, May 28, at noon. Due to ice and avalanche conditions, the Tioga Road will not be open for Memorial Day weekend.
May 26, 2010 07:03PM
eeek
Glacier Point Road will open for the season on Friday, May 28, at noon. Due to ice and avalanche conditions, the Tioga Road will not be open for Memorial Day weekend.
That will relieve some pressure on the Valley this weekend. I have to work on Saturday and I'm dreading it. Expect the Valley loop to take over an hour.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login