Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Sonora Pass Set to Open May 22

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Sonora Pass Set to Open May 22
April 28, 2010 06:40PM
CalTrans crews are no doubt busy making their way closer and closer to the various mountain passes as the season's snow recedes. They've official staked out May 22 as the day Sonora Pass will open.

http://www.sierrajournal.com/?p=520
April 29, 2010 08:52AM
The hand "position" in their photo is kind of interesting. eye rolling smiley
May 21, 2010 08:06AM
Any news if Sonora Pass will be open this weekend?
avatar Re: Sonora Pass Set to Open May 22
May 21, 2010 08:20AM
DuncanMeyers

You can always check here for the Caltrans updates:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/hourlyPage.php

Sonora Pass is located on SR108.
May 21, 2010 12:23PM
szalkowski
DuncanMeyers

You can always check here for the Caltrans updates:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/hourlyPage.php

Sonora Pass is located on SR108.

Or here: http://yosemitenews.info/highway-status/
May 21, 2010 04:21PM
I suppose May 22 is still the intended opening day for Hwy 108. Hwy 4 also I think. It may be short lived though since there appears to be a week's worth of unsettled weather on the way.
May 21, 2010 05:09PM
Louis
I suppose May 22 is still the intended opening day for Hwy 108. Hwy 4 also I think. It may be short lived though since there appears to be a week's worth of unsettled weather on the way.

In fact, it just started snowing here at Zephyr Cove.
May 21, 2010 05:11PM
Louis
Louis

In fact, it just started snowing here at Zephyr Cove.

Next Wednesday is looking interesting too.
May 22, 2010 12:11PM
Uh-oh. Sonora pass was my backup for Tioga this coming Thursday
May 22, 2010 07:49PM
88 may work for you if you've got an extra couple of hours.

Old Dude
May 23, 2010 01:30AM
I don't think that's an option :'(

With Tioga I'd be doing 197 miles in the day, Sonora 315. 88 would make it 403. All in one day is a very big ask!

Fingers crossed Sonora will stay open sad smiley
May 24, 2010 02:40PM
Duncan Meyers,

What about going over to Bakersfield and up and entering Yosemite from the south end?
May 24, 2010 04:39PM
I could do... but it'll still be a massive journey, and I'd rather take the scenery in if at all possible!
May 24, 2010 04:24AM
Any news updates on Sonora ?

I saw another storm is expected and really could do with getting up to date info on the status of the roads. I've checked CalTrans and the NPS site's but don't have massive faith in them because of sites like "Mono lake" that reported their progress a lot more frequently than they did.

I'll need a reliable source of information to access for Thursday when I set off from Lone Pine.
May 24, 2010 08:44AM
DuncanMeyers

I saw another storm is expected and really could do with getting up to date info on the status of the roads. I've checked CalTrans and the NPS site's but don't have massive faith in them because of sites like "Mono lake" that reported their progress a lot more frequently than they did.

I'll need a reliable source of information to access for Thursday when I set off from Lone Pine.

Nothing new on Sonora. As of this morning it's still closed. CalTrans has a site called California Highway Conditions Hourly that's about as near real time as you can get. Click Here

If I see anything from another source I'll post it.
May 26, 2010 01:49PM
Louis
DuncanMeyers

Nothing new on Sonora. As of this morning it's still closed. CalTrans has a site called California Highway Conditions Hourly that's about as near real time as you can get. Click Here

If I see anything from another source I'll post it.

Rick has posted that Tioga Road will not be open for the holiday weekend. Considering the conditions I doubt Sonora Pass will open before Friday or Saturday and maybe not even then.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login