Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite is not Number One

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yosemite is not Number One
May 06, 2010 12:41PM
http://www.latimes.com/sns-green-top20-nationalparks-pictures,0,4925990.photogallery

The 20 most-visited national parks in the US
Los Angeles Times

America's 58 national parks feature some of the country's most amazing views, natural formations and wildlife. These include Yellowstone's world-famous geysers, Olympic's rain forests in Washington and Arches' sweeping rock formations in Utah.
Here are the 20 most-visited. America's most popular park may surprise you. It's not Yosemite, the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 06, 2010 02:15PM
I must have good timing, there are never any lines in Sequoia when I go...

Even tho there are less than a million going to Sequoia you'd think there would be more noticable crowds at 710,000+....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2010 02:17PM by AlmostThere.
May 06, 2010 05:55PM
That's because a major highway (US 441) runs through it. I don't recall paying a park entrance fee when I drove it a few years ago. So a lot of people drive it and therefore "visit" the park.
avatar Re: Yosemite is not Number One
May 06, 2010 07:35PM
The Other Tom
That's because a major highway (US 441) runs through it. I don't recall paying a park entrance fee when I drove it a few years ago. So a lot of people drive it and therefore "visit" the park.

That's what I was thinking. If Yosemite had I5 running through it we'd have 100 times more "visitors."
May 06, 2010 07:37PM
Dave
The Other Tom

That's what I was thinking. If Yosemite had I5 running through it we'd have 100 times more "visitors."

And free bear meat too.
May 06, 2010 07:49PM
Dave
The Other Tom

We are very fortunate that's not the case. Can you just imagine the roar of high speed traffic blanketing the high country?
May 06, 2010 07:52PM
tomdisco
Dave
The Other Tom

We are very fortunate that's not the case. Can you just imagine the roar of high speed traffic blanketing the high country?

Been to the Tahoe area lately?
May 06, 2010 07:54PM
eeek
tomdisco
Dave
The Other Tom

Not since 1984.
May 06, 2010 07:56PM
tomdisco
eeek
tomdisco
Dave
The Other Tom

Not since 1984.

I drove through there last summer. I'm still traumatized.
May 07, 2010 04:54AM
eeek

I drove through there last summer. I'm still traumatized.

On summer days, the highway on the westside of Tahoe (?89) from Tahoe City south can be gridlock both directions down past Granlibaken. I hate to spend my vacation sitting in traffic.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 16, 2010 08:53AM
I was just in GSMNP for the first time (I think, unless I was there as a young'un in our travels,) and the thing that upsets me is that, with the most visitation, they do not collect an entrance fee. What a help to the NPS if they collected just $10 (as opposed to the $20 at Yosemite and Death Valley.)
May 16, 2010 08:59AM
May 16, 2010 09:38AM
hikerchick395
I was just in GSMNP for the first time (I think, unless I was there as a young'un in our travels,) and the thing that upsets me is that, with the most visitation, they do not collect an entrance fee. What a help to the NPS if they collected just $10 (as opposed to the $20 at Yosemite and Death Valley.)

It wouldn't hurt, either, if the various government agencies actually collected the money paid to them.

I wrote a check on 24 March, 2010 to the "USDA - Forest Service" for parking at the trailhead at Big Sur. It hasn't been cashed yet.

The above, however, pales in comparison to the CA State Park system. Another check was written to the "DPR" (Department of Parks & Recreation) for camping and hiking at the Sinkyone Wilderness State Park up in the Lost Coast area. The check was dated 3 October, 2009.
May 16, 2010 09:58AM
Meester Marmot,
I will cash your check. Peas send me one.... with lots o zeroes!
(I'll be wading with bated breath)

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 16, 2010 12:22PM
chick-on
Meester Marmot,

Dear Pink Peril,
A check, completely covered with zeros front and back, will be sent to your attention at the Black Hole address seen in the following link:
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=23110
You will find it immediately upon crossing the Event Horizon.
(With Love)
The Marmots
May 16, 2010 06:13PM
szalkowski
chick-on
Meester Marmot,

Dear Pink Peril,
A check, completely covered with zeros front and back, will be sent to your attention at the Black Hole address seen in the following link:
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=23110
You will find it immediately upon crossing the Event Horizon.
(With Love)
The Marmots

Silly Marmot,
My address is:

7046 Loch Tablae Promenade
Yosemite, CA 95389

(ps - Yose is numba 1 in my art)

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login