Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite cell phone coverage map?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yosemite cell phone coverage map?
May 07, 2010 06:57AM
I just looked at the cell phone coverage map and was a bit surprised where they claim there is coverage for Verizon. Places like just above Bunnel Cascade, Merced Lake, much of the Lewis Creek trail, west end of Bernice Lake, Vogelsang Pass. I can see where Vogelsang Pass might be good but I thought the goat once said that was not possible. Apparently anything remotely visible from Sentinel Dome is getting limited coverage? Also, where is the tower for Tuolumne Meadows area?

I had not planned to carry a cell phone because I didn't believe it would amount to anything more than dead weight. The only reason I might consider it is to reassure my wife 3,000 miles away that I'm O.K. while hiking alone. For safety sake it will not work in the only place I plan to be off trail.
May 07, 2010 09:57AM
I have Verizon and cell phone coverage was spotty in the high country when I was there a couple of years ago. Sometimes I'd get service in TM, never at May Lake, didn't take my phone to Vogelsang. Got coverage at Crane Flat. Service was ok in the valley.
avatar Re: Yosemite cell phone coverage map?
May 07, 2010 02:56PM
The Other Tom
I have Verizon and cell phone coverage was spotty in the high country when I was there a couple of years ago. Sometimes I'd get service in TM, never at May Lake, didn't take my phone to Vogelsang. Got coverage at Crane Flat. Service was ok in the valley.

Regarding May Lake, there is a ridge (about 100ft high) close to the lake on the southeast that people climb to get cell phone coverage (2-3 years ago, anyway).

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 07, 2010 02:58PM
The Other Tom
Sometimes I'd get service in TM

There is a tower somewhere in the Tuolumne Meadows area. But it isn't operational when the road first opens.
May 07, 2010 11:53AM
Regarding Vogelsang, you can get service towards Vogelsang Lake above camp. Once you have Half Dome in view to the west you can usually get a bar or two.
May 09, 2010 12:31AM
Have you thought about getting a SPOT device so that your wife can follow along with your misadventures?

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
May 09, 2010 03:51AM
Bee
Have you thought about getting a SPOT device so that your wife can follow along with your misadventures?

That function is optional and involves an additional subscription fee.
May 09, 2010 05:51AM
eeek
Bee

That function is optional and involves an additional subscription fee.

You can send as many signals manually as you want with the base subscription.
May 09, 2010 07:35AM
I always carry a Globalstar satellite phone, since I hike solo and go pretty far in ... fat bulky thing though ... but yes, TM has a tower somewhere, and usually by the time services and frenzy is in full swing up there, at least that whole area is covered by cell phone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login