All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Sonora Pass vs Tioga Pass
May 17, 2010 12:52AM
Poll
Which is the more scenic drive?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
3 votes were received.
Tioga Pass2

67%
Sonora Pass1

33%

Which would you say is the more scenic?

Hoping to do Tioga pass because of the time saving, but even though the crews are making great progress for the amount of snow this year, I don't think it'll be open by the time I need it (May 27th).

I've seen a few galleries regarding Tioga pass and the photos look truly stunning, I just want to know if Sonora is of equal beauty?
Re: Sonora Pass vs Tioga Pass
May 17, 2010 07:50AM
Each road has its special qualities. I would say they are equally beautiful. Hwy 108 is actually my favorite of the two. I go up there several times each year. One big advantage is less traffic than Tioga Road. My suggestion is to drive both of them if you have time.
May 17, 2010 02:05PM
I love both. Sonora is gorgeous.
May 17, 2010 11:34PM
Both passes are equally beautiful in my opinion. However, if I had never driven Tioga, I would choose it over Sonora. As for time savings, I think Sonora is faster because you don't have all the traffic and the speed limit is low in Yosemite. If you go over Sonora make sure your cooling system is working. The elevation gain from Dardanelles to the pass is massive and quick. Enjoy.
avatar Re: Sonora Pass vs Tioga Pass
May 18, 2010 09:38PM
Sonora Westward - Tioga Eastward

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login