All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Cloud's Rest
May 20, 2010 12:12PM
Any insight/speculations would be helpful here. Planning on hiking the Cloud's Rest trail June 20. Curious what the expected trail conditions might be. I've seen a few trip reports of hikers wading up to waist deep to cross the Tenaya Lake outlet. Is this typical this time of year (given the snow coverage), and do the creek crossings on the trail usually require a knee deep wade? If so, how fast is the water usually moving during these crossings.

Also planning on half dome June 22. I'm assuming the cables will be up by then. Any predictions or suggestions for other must do yosemite hikes if we are unable to do either of these?

While I'm asking, we're also planning on climbing Boundary Peak, NV that week. Anyone seen what the snow conditions might be like in the White Mountains? We are still a month away, so hoping for a meltdown between now and then. Thanks!!!
May 20, 2010 01:44PM
Flatland Hiker Girl
Any insight/speculations would be helpful here. Planning on hiking the Cloud's Rest trail June 20. Curious what the expected trail conditions might be. I've seen a few trip reports of hikers wading up to waist deep to cross the Tenaya Lake outlet. Is this typical this time of year (given the snow coverage), and do the creek crossings on the trail usually require a knee deep wade? If so, how fast is the water usually moving during these crossings.

It's been 5 years since I've crossed that outlet but my recollection is that it is rather wide (est. 75+ ft) and the banks are low (maybe 3 ft. on the N side and 2 ft. max. on the S). It would have to been an extremely fast melt to get waist deep for a normal adult. I have seen it overflow the incline on the S side and inundate the woods there but can't recall ever seeing the N side topped. At any rate, plan on removing your boots for the crossing.

Flatland Hiker Girl
While I'm asking, we're also planning on climbing Boundary Peak, NV that week. Anyone seen what the snow conditions might be like in the White Mountains? We are still a month away, so hoping for a meltdown between now and then.

Right now, you're probably better asking the Eastsiders at the Whitney Portal Store Message Board:
http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2010 06:43AM by szalkowski.
May 20, 2010 05:06PM
I've heard that crossing can be at least knee deep in mid June and I believe it was reported to be last year at that time. By mid-July it was 3" deep when I crossed it. Given the amount of snow this year you can probably count on it being knee deep around June 20 but the bottom is relatively flat with sand and small stones so it is unlikely to be a risky crossing.
May 20, 2010 10:47PM
I don't think the terrain would allow the water to get waist deep on an adult of normal height. (5'8"winking smiley Knee deep worst case and not flowing fast at all. It could be butt cold though.

Old Dude
Re: Cloud's Rest
May 21, 2010 09:24AM
This link is the picture I have seen from late June 2006. Hopefully it won't be this deep! I'm only 5'6".

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~thomas/album/2006-06-clouds-rest/html/P1010236.html
May 21, 2010 10:06AM
Perhaps there is a market for high heel water shoes.
(Facetiously Yours)
The Beaks
May 22, 2010 10:57AM
Flatland Hiker Girl
This link is the picture I have seen from late June 2006. Hopefully it won't be this deep! I'm only 5'6".

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~thomas/album/2006-06-clouds-rest/html/P1010236.html

Here's what it looked like in mid-July:
Tenaya Lake Crossing

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2010 11:10AM by tomdisco.
Re: Cloud's Rest
May 23, 2010 09:13AM
Ha...I looked at that pic that Flatland Hiker Girl posted from 2006...I was hiking Glen Aulin/Waterwheel Falls at that time and that was quite the adventure with water, too.

One time, there at Sunrise TH, had water almost that high as pic in June (had to take my pants off and got my undies wet) and the next it time I crossed it, it was above the knees. Another concern, early season, on the trail after the creek crossing, is that those switchbacks on the north facing slope hold a lot of snow.
May 23, 2010 11:53AM
hikerchick395
Ha...I looked at that pic that Flatland Hiker Girl posted from 2006...I was hiking Glen Aulin/Waterwheel Falls at that time and that was quite the adventure with water, too.

One time, there at Sunrise TH, had water almost that high as pic in June (had to take my pants off and got my undies wet) and the next it time I crossed it, it was above the knees. Another concern, early season, on the trail after the creek crossing, is that those switchbacks on the north facing slope hold a lot of snow.

I don't think the elevation on the lower and steeper part of the switchback to Sunrise Lakes will be prone to much snow by mid June. It's pretty open there. The upper portion of the switchback where it's not so steep may harbor some snow because there is a bit more tree cover there and you are above 9,000'.
May 23, 2010 03:39PM
Any snow at this time of year is pretty consolidated so walking on it should not be a problem.

Old Dude
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login