All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yvon Chouinard in Amex Members Project commercial
May 21, 2010 03:46PM
These series of commercials have been different since they don't identify who the people in the ads are for more than a couple of seconds. Every time i saw this commercial on TV, they flashed through his name and the sign that said "CHOUINARD CLIMBING EQUIPMENT" so fast that I didn't notice it. I wasn't exactly sure who it was at first since I never caught the name, but from the history told in the ad, I thought it must be Yvon Chouinard. I really didn't know what he looked like other than some pictures of him at a younger age looking rather sunburnt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2010 04:32PM by y_p_w.
Re: Yvon Chouinard in Amex Members Project commercial
May 21, 2010 07:59PM
Thank you. I watch very little TV, so I certainly missed this. One of my heroes.
avatar Re: Yvon Chouinard in Amex Members Project commercial
May 21, 2010 10:40PM
This was one of the photos I saw of Chouinard, from the Wikipedia article on him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yvon_Chouinard
May 21, 2010 08:34PM
I, too, was sort of frustrated by this series of "who's who" commercials, because they have featured other accomplished folks, too.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Re: Yvon Chouinard in Amex Members Project commercial
May 24, 2010 10:16PM
I was disappointed to see him in a credit card commercial. I've always admired him as he is very philosophical. I guess he needed to pay some bills.
May 25, 2010 09:54AM
rightstar76
I was disappointed to see him in a credit card commercial. I've always admired him as he is very philosophical. I guess he needed to pay some bills.

I don't believe that he got paid to do the commercial. It would certainly go against the ethos, which is to promote worthy non-profits. Supposedly any proceeds from his filming of the commercial are going to five non-profits of his choosing.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/03/change-the-world-for-better-american-express-members-project.php

Patagonia is a for-profit company. It does put the company name in the spotlight, as well as gives a shameless plug for his pet project (dam busting).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login