All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Still no Half Dome Cables
May 27, 2010 04:33PM
Half Dome cables will not be in place June 4-6.

avatar Re: Still no Half Dome Cables
May 27, 2010 06:28PM
awwwh hecK! lol.... and they dont reckon that will melt over the next 5 days in the boling hot weather that is coming and have said no way until after 7th june?.... -i'll just have to come back all the way to california in mid august to get up half dome----grover is sad!

bloody hell!!!! - as we say in the uk!
May 27, 2010 07:41PM
Drive out to Glacier Point and slog up to the top of sentinel Dome. You will not be disappointed.

Old Dude
May 27, 2010 08:00PM
I assume that is a recent picture?? That is awesome..(not that the cables are down)
May 27, 2010 08:07PM
LeeVining
I assume that is a recent picture??

From the file name I assume it was taken yesterday.
May 27, 2010 08:15PM
Whoever took the picture and drew in the "approximate" route has it a bit off IMO.
The first portion with the switchbacks there is to the left of where they drew.
My best guess is that that portion does not have any snow coverage at all.

Here's a shot of it from Last Year, May 8, 2009.
The first section with switchbacks was not covered in snow.
You can see the line in the snow in the second section where people
walked up.

If anyone is interested I have a shot from April of this year from near the HD/JMT junction.
People were still coming up and asking if the cables were up.
Re: Still no Half Dome Cables
May 28, 2010 03:49AM
bill-e-g
If anyone is interested I have a shot from April of this year from near the HD/JMT junction.
People were still coming up and asking if the cables were up.
I'm interested. Please post it. thanks
May 28, 2010 06:25AM
This is from April 17, 2010:

May 28, 2010 06:23AM
Here's the first section. (also from May 8, 2009) (Last Year):

You can try to correlate it to the first pix.

By the way. There were people on the top of the dome last weekend. An older couple I ran into coming
down the Panorama Trail had no special equipment and ho-hummed going up the cables with
it laying down. I found it somewhat amusing when I told them that the entire Pohono Trail was covered
in about 4 ft. of snow and they asked me where they would put their tent. I just said "uh... on the snow".
(actually there's bare spots next to trees)

Soooo... Grover... you just hit a supa dupa snow year. Thus my comments about HSCs not opening, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2010 06:26AM by bill-e-g.
May 28, 2010 08:14AM
bill-e-g
Here's the first section. (also from May 8, 2009) (Last Year):

You can try to correlate it to the first pix.

By the way. There were people on the top of the dome last weekend. An older couple I ran into coming
down the Panorama Trail had no special equipment and ho-hummed going up the cables with
it laying down. I found it somewhat amusing when I told them that the entire Pohono Trail was covered
in about 4 ft. of snow and they asked me where they would put their tent. I just said "uh... on the snow".

Soooo... Grover... you just hit a supa dupa snow year. Thus my comments about HSCs not opening, etc.

Hey bILL--E-G and all you sierra peeps thanks for all this invaluable insider info for supergrover's databanks.....supergrover (kermit and miss piggy) who are travelling out to the valley on sunday til thursday next week will now be putting their battle plan to conquer the subdome and cables down -supergrover feels that his superpowers combined with the other muppets he is with may see fit to conquer the dome with the cables down....

ive got get myself some supergrover domage!

what superb pictures from over the years....

grover not worthy....
May 28, 2010 09:38AM
Grova. You are by far my favorite muppet. Be safe.

p.s. The wifey and I lived in Bloody England many moons ago for half a year.
Lived in South Sea... worked in Havant
Too bad Chickon Boo wasn't around then... he would have enjoyed Ben Nevis,
Lands End, The Isle of Skye, and The Isle of Wight (we hiked from The Needles to Shanklin).

Have fun
May 29, 2010 10:00AM
Grova will fly! well not off the edge or side of the dome......

the blue furry muupet and yosemite UK posse arrive tomorrow evenin to the valley for 4 days so here's to good dry weather (forecast) for good underfoot conditions) and the care and seriousness that goes with the task....

no flying for grover if it looks like his cape is gonna be flapping in the breeze or his furry paws are gonna let him down....

thanks again for the honest advice y'all...really appreciated and will takie it all on board...

once back in the land of wifi from the trip i'll post the results of the hike.

have a great memorial day weekend.

Grova
May 28, 2010 08:58AM
bill-e-g

Weren't there a few fatalities in 2007 of people who went up the cables when they were laid down?

Also - does anyone know the legality of going up the cable route when they're still on the ground, but the new day use permits have been issued for that day? It sounds like they had a wilderness permit, so they wouldn't be subject to the day use limits. I doubt they bother to enforce it.
May 28, 2010 09:32AM
From what I remember only 1 lady died going up the cables with them laying down.
Typical deaths are due to going up in bad weather.
The permit system is designed to limit the number of people on the cables so if
they are laying down then it's a moot point.
When the cables are down I guarantee you that there will not be many people on them.
As a matter of fact there will almost certainly be only one person on a cable section
at a time. I beleive there are 4 sections and the top one isn't really needed.
So pretty much there would be a total of 6 people on the cables. It's kinda like
a ski tow rope... you don't wanna adversely affect the person in front of you so
you wait for them to get to the next section.

We talked more about it here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,12525,12525#msg-12525

With all this said. It's your call what u do with your life. You'll probably
know when you get to the base of the cables whether you want to risk it.
May 29, 2010 01:53PM
bill-e-g
From what I remember only 1 lady died going up the cables with them laying down.
Typical deaths are due to going up in bad weather.
The permit system is designed to limit the number of people on the cables so if
they are laying down then it's a moot point.
When the cables are down I guarantee you that there will not be many people on them.
As a matter of fact there will almost certainly be only one person on a cable section
at a time. I beleive there are 4 sections and the top one isn't really needed.
So pretty much there would be a total of 6 people on the cables. It's kinda like
a ski tow rope... you don't wanna adversely affect the person in front of you so
you wait for them to get to the next section.

We talked more about it here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,12525,12525#msg-12525

With all this said. It's your call what u do with your life. You'll probably
know when you get to the base of the cables whether you want to risk it.

I looked it up, and apparently the permits are only required if the cables are up. The NPS is also issuing refunds to anyone who has permits for the periods when the cables are down. The way I understand it, if the cables are up but the conditions aren't good for going up the cables, the NPS won't issue refunds.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/halfdome.htm

Permits to hike to the top of Half Dome now required

A permit is required to hike to the top of Half Dome on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and federal holidays when the cables are up (but not on other days).

The Half Dome cables will not be in place over the June 4-6 permit period.

The combination of heavy winter snows and continuing spring snow storms has kept the snow pack from melting along the trail to Half Dome, including the portion of the trail on the subdome, below the Half Dome cables. A slip and fall from the subdome's steep snowfield could cause serious injury or death. For the safety of hikers and the employees setting up the cables, the cables will not be put up until conditions improve. We will monitor conditions over the next two weeks and issue an expected opening date as soon as possible.

If you have a Half Dome day-use permit for May 21-23, or May 28-31, or June 4-6, you will receive a refund.
June 04, 2010 11:00AM
Hello,

From my first post: we were plannig on cllimbing halfdome on the 14th. Was very dissappointed to hear the cables might not be up then, however I had never thought about climbing it even if the cables arent up. I climbed it back in 1992. Anyway is there a way to attach something to the cables while they are down to prevent you from falling. Like a belt around your waste with a S hook and rope attached for safety as you go up?
June 04, 2010 01:50PM
Going up the cables when they are down is a recipe for disaster especially when they are down due to ice, water, or snow.
There are those that post on this forum that have gone up the downed cables and I'm sure they will post their thoughts.

Old Dude
June 04, 2010 10:31PM
Wherez Grova Report?

Me tinks da key words are "it's my daughter".

Wait for dem cables in da locked and upsright positions.

(Unless u got cape and wings like me)
Chickon Boo

Chick-on is looking at you!
October 12, 2010 01:03PM
bill-e-g

I'm guessing you took this photo from an aircraft? May I also ask from what vantage point you took the April 2007 photo? Very cool shots, both!
October 12, 2010 05:21PM
eveofdiscovery
bill-e-g

I'm guessing you took this photo from an aircraft? May I also ask from what vantage point you took the April 2007 photo? Very cool shots, both!
Looks to me like the view from Cloud's Rest, although I have never been there.
October 12, 2010 06:40PM
eveofdiscovery
bill-e-g

May 8, 2009 was from atop Clouds Rest
April 7, 2007 was from atop the eastern Quarter Dome (you can see the western one in the pict)

You may be interested in this too:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,21074,21074#msg-21074
May 27, 2010 10:29PM
I wanna see the peeek-chure!

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
May 28, 2010 06:10AM
Check this.

This is from APRIL 7, 2007. Yes, April..

May 28, 2010 07:34AM
I wish I weren't so terrified of heights or I would do this in a second! I almost died on Lembert Domesad smiley I'm only 28..perhaps I will outgrow this!
May 28, 2010 08:43AM
LeeVining
I wish I weren't so terrified of heights or I would do this in a second! I almost died on Lembert Domesad smiley I'm only 28..perhaps I will outgrow this!

Probably not... unless you become proactive and build up confidence in your abilities and equipment.

I suggest that you enroll in the basic climbing course that Roland took:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,25095
June 04, 2010 08:35AM
Ya, I was kind of kidding about "outgrowing' it....

Unfortunately I live in Indiana......I am not near as terrified of heights around here due to all the tree cover, and of course nothing near the extreme height. I have plans to move out west and if and when that happens I will DEFINITELY be taking a beginners course. I know I can overcome the fear by challenging it head on and the only place you can do that is on the rock!
June 04, 2010 08:37AM
I also know Linda Dore in Lee Vining, she and her husband are really awesome with climbing so I have thought about going out with them.
June 03, 2010 02:55PM
Half Dome cables will not be in place until after the June 11-13 weekend... it's still snowy on the subdome.
June 04, 2010 06:23AM
Has anyone heard any recent "inside scoop" on when they are thinking they'll go up? I'm really hoping for a Tuesday June 22 hike up with the cables!! Is it really that snowy and dangerous or is the National Park Service being overly cautious? How long does it take them to put the cables up once they decide it's safe? Is it done in a day? Hoping for a MELTDOWN in the next 10 days!!
June 04, 2010 08:32AM
Here's a view of Half Dome from just before noon on Wednesday June 2. Flight path from the east provided a great vantage point, but a little farther north would have been better, as I could barely see the valley, and there's some sun glare and distortion from viewing through the very bottom of the window. Perhaps they don't want folks running around in the snow patch on top?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2010 03:37PM by vdrummer.
June 04, 2010 09:38AM
VERY COOL Ron! Thx.

Try to get some nice shots on the way back (like u had before).
(I still have those babies!)

The park service really is super cautious. Once the cables go up
there's pretty much a stampede up there. With the extreme variation
in experience it's a recipe for disaster. Especially with folks going
up the subdome snowfield in tennis shoes / without hiking sticks,
in flip flops, hat on sideways looking like a fool, pants on the ground,
pants on the ground.

That sorta thing.

Plus, the snow field can harden up during the night when the temp. goes down.
One slip can be fatal.
June 13, 2010 09:22AM
Great phote vdrummer!

vdrummer
Here's a view of Half Dome from just before noon on Wednesday June 2. ... Perhaps they don't want folks running around in the snow patch on top?

I believe that this snow patch is west of the summit.
There is a slight depression in between the main (east) summit of Half Dome and the west summit. You can see that melting water flows south.
It seems to me that the cable route (thin white line on your photo) was completely free of snow and climable on June 4th.
I took liberty to highlight some features on this photo (and reupload it):
Red arrows - cable route
Blue arrow - melting water flowing south
Red circle - Half Dome summit
Blue circle - Sub Dome summit.
June 04, 2010 09:35AM
Awesome shot - Thanks. I am comparing this the the May 9, 2009 photo above. They look pretty similar in snow coverage - last year the cables were up about a week later - so hopefully soon...
June 04, 2010 09:43AM
Hello,

my daughter and I have been planning a trip to climb halfdome for about 3 years. I climbed it back in 1992 with my brother before my daughter was born. For the last few years she has watched the video and has been looking forward to this trip. She is now 16. We are arriving on the 13th and were planning to climb halfdome on the 14th. Do to finances we will only be able to stay for 2 days. Climbing Halfdome was one of the greatest things I have done in my life. I really want my daughter to experience this, however I have noticed that putting up the cables is not happening this weekend and on the National Park site it says it will not be up on the 12 or 13th either. Is there a chance it will be up on the 14th?...or sooner?...for instance, I notice the weather is very warm right now. So if it melts all the snow and ice, is there a chance they would put the cables up sooner.?
June 04, 2010 10:25AM
It'll be a crap shoot. Alternatively look into doing Yosemite Falls.

Old Dude
June 04, 2010 10:54AM
Yeah, we probably will look into something else. Kinda disappointing though. We have planned this for a looooooong time, and she is really looking forward to it. I havent told her yet.
June 05, 2010 08:46AM
I would definitely not suggest hiking Yosemite Falls as an alternative to Half Dome. The Yosemite Falls trail is extremely rocky and the downhill portion is slow-going and strewn with rocks which make pace next to impossible.

The far superior alternative is the Four Mike Trail to Glacier Point and then up to the Sentinel Dome. The views are spectacular. The RT distance on this hike would be about 13 miles. A more epic one-day hike would be to take the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point and then add 10 miles RT to go to Nevada Falls and back. This would be and almost 20 mile day hike and both beautiful and rewarding. My husband and hike this 4 or 5 times a year and it never disappoints.
June 05, 2010 09:40AM
Four Mile isn't open yet either. Always(?) opens later than the cables are put up.
June 05, 2010 09:46AM
Four Mile Trail can be spooky, icy, and dicey even when it is open. When it's closed I suspect you would need or at least want some protection in certain areas like crampons and ice axe.
There may be actual enforcement of the closure. That is a great route though.

Old Dude
June 07, 2010 04:08PM
Not a lot of snow today on the Half Dome:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/Yury/YosemiteValley20100607/IMG_2518_Half_Dome.jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2010 04:18PM by Yury.
June 07, 2010 04:31PM
Yury
Not a lot of snow today on the Half Dome:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/Yury/YosemiteValley20100607/IMG_2518_Half_Dome.jpg

That looks like Starr King to me.
June 07, 2010 05:54PM
Most certainly Starr-King.
June 07, 2010 06:47PM
Embaressed
How far apart are Star King and Half Dome?

Can I hope that at least El Capitan was identifyed correctly by me?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2010 06:54PM by Yury.
June 07, 2010 06:51PM
Yury
Can I hope that at least Al Capitan was identifyed correctly by me?

Yes (except for the spelling).
June 07, 2010 08:19PM
OK, according to http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.php?object_type=1&distance_1=100&distance_lat_1=37.70330&distance_lon_1=-119.51670&map_1=1&is_open=1 there about 5 km (3 miles) between Starr King and Half Dome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2010 08:21PM by Yury.
June 07, 2010 07:19PM
Yury
Embaressed

Starr King is about 3.0 miles SSE of Half Dome.

Note: there are two r's in Starr King, it being a proper name. See the references below:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Starr_King
http://www.sksm.edu/about/thomas_starr_king.php
June 07, 2010 07:59PM
And a quick thought here - you can greatly improve images taken from jet planes by running a quick 'auto levels' (command-shift-L in Photoshop) or 'auto correct' command on images:

Nice job getting the shots and getting a window seat that wasn't over the wing and was on the Valley-facing side of the plane!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2010 01:51PM by vdrummer.
June 07, 2010 08:33PM
Typically YYZ-SFO plane flies north of the Yosemite Valley.
So I try to get a window seat on the left side of a plane.
Unfortunately today I had only an isle seat on the right.

Fortunately to me today 1) the plane flew south of the Yosemite Valley and 2) a person in a middle seat went to a washroom at the right time. smiling smiley
As son as I noticed the Valley I took my camera and made a few pictures.
Shame on me for not being able to identify a Half Dome correctly. It looks differently from the South than from the North.

P.S. Apparently "Auto Correct" in my Microsoft Office Picture Manager doesn't work as good as in your Photoshop. sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2010 08:48PM by Yury.
June 07, 2010 09:03PM
Yury
P.S. Apparently "Auto Correct" in my Microsoft Office Picture Manager doesn't work as good as in your Photoshop. sad smiley

Try the Gimp: http://www.gimp.org/
June 08, 2010 09:45AM
So then Gimp is photo editing software?....Is it as good as Photoshop or closer to Lightroom?
June 08, 2010 01:46PM
ROCAMY
So then Gimp is photo editing software?....Is it as good as Photoshop or closer to Lightroom?

It's pretty good though patents prevent it from having some Photoshop features. And it's free.
June 08, 2010 03:17AM
On entering California’s great valley, he said, "The Ninth Symphony (by Beethoven) is the Yosemite of music! Great is granite and the Yosemite is its prophet!" He climbed above the falls, attracted by a dome of granite towering 13,600 feet over the valley. Today it bears his name, Mt. Starr King.

Just noticed the above paragraph in the second reference that I provided above.
It would seem that either 1 secular foot = 3 sacred feet or that the 'Theological Rules of Mathematics' require a person to add two positive numbers to determine a difference rather than subtracting them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2010 03:24AM by szalkowski.
June 08, 2010 03:21AM
szalkowski
"The Ninth Symphony (by Beethoven) is the Yosemite of music! Great is granite and the Yosemite is its prophet!"

June 08, 2010 11:28AM
szalkowski
Yury
Embaressed

Starr King is about 3.0 miles SSE of Half Dome.

Note: there are two r's in Starr King, it being a proper name. See the references below:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Starr_King
http://www.sksm.edu/about/thomas_starr_king.php

Here are some images of Starr King, from 2 months ago now... (my white balance was set incorrectly and have not gotten to cleaning it up- sorry) Hope you enjoy though.

June 08, 2010 08:35PM
Nice fotos Donkey Doo. Won't that water bottle freeze?
And why is that guy carrying a tree in his pack?

Chick-on is still waitin for his 480 dollars though.
He's also wondering what da heck it is with peeps kicking chickens.
Respect da Bird.

Yury, thanks for the photos... keep posting them! Love em.
June 13, 2010 02:35PM
Hey All!

Supergrover has flown back from the USA and is all in one piece... he got in front Jackson WY this afternoon to the UK....

Da Grover made it up to the top of half dome. 01JUN....cables down ....photos will follow...

the bottom of the subdome DID had a disclaimer notice advising risk of death by climbing the subdome....

it was definitely a decision to take your fears into your own hands and get up there to the very top on the downed cables or take a long hard look and say no i wont go up.

there were 10 different hikers at around the time i came down from the top planning to go up with the cables down and with gloves as their only equipment and a handful of others with more equipment.

about a max of 20 hikers at most at any one time were gathering at the bottom of the cables and finishing their hike there too.

there were some experienced folk coming off the cables saying it was easy and other hiker folk saying dont risk it.

i personally watched a guy who had never climbed or hiked ( from huntington beach) much before make it up there without gloves or equipment!! he was the only other guy at the top when i was up there personally. I then watched a senior citizen and his wife go up with the cables down with no more than gloves.

I would not want to give any advice about the cables being down and trying for the top. its personal.

In many ways it felt that the snow on the subdome (albeit only in a v small amount but in slightly tricky places on the rock steps up subdome - but with more of a thick layer at the flatter top of it) created the problem....

I fully understand that the NPS down want to encourage people to go up/ near half dome if there is snow around!

.... BUT 9 out of ten hikers I saw and talked to on the trail DID go up the subdome anyway that day and asked if i had made it up to the top.... and then they were asking around whether other people had gone for the very top....and they all had their 'gloves' ready and were going to have a look at doing it...

SO in this way the patchy snow and lack of 'cables up' creates an even more dangerous situation :-nearly everyone going up the subdome regardless of the warning THEN these hikers are seeing the final cables down but snow free AND various experienced and inexperienced hikers going for it.

if over 90% of hikers were not stopping at the bottom of the subdome and all of those were making it up to the top of the subdome then an experienced worker could have had the cables up way before 16JUNE and reduced the potential for people to make a BAD decision about the cables themselves.......

but then you would then get loads of extra people trudging through the snow on the way up to the subdome and on the subdome and then the NPS get in trouble when someone gets into trouble....

or you could still leave a sign at the subdome saying 'dangerous' but at least the cable part would be ok......Angel's Landing in Zion was more dangerous on a good day in my personal experience than the subdome when I climbed it.

its a catch 22....and again down to how you look at it...

Bridgeport Rocked for lunch the next day -missed Tioga opening by 2 days -just like 3 years ago but in MAY!

Thanks guys n gals and esp EEK, BillEG and CHICKON.

Grrrover........

Grover!!!!
June 16, 2010 12:14PM
June 16, 2010 12:19PM
hey guys n gals...

dimwitted grover has the following link to some photos

half dome 01jun
May 24, 2011 07:25PM
plawrence
FYI...

The outfit is called Bayside Adventure Sports.

They are based out of Roseville, CA.

Maybe they did get approval from the Park Service for their setup in Upper Pines. Is there any way to verify this?

Here's a link to their website: http://baysideadventuresports.com

And here's a link to their webpage regarding their 2011 Yosemite trips: http://baysideadventuresports.com/yosemite/

Oops, posted this on the wrong thread. -- Please ignore.

I have already copied my post over to the correct thread ("Scalping Yosemite campsites and Half Dome permits" )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 09:40PM by plawrence.
May 24, 2011 07:37PM
plawrence
FYI...

The outfit is called Bayside Adventure Sports.
They are based out of Roseville, CA.
Maybe they did get approval from the Park Service for their setup in Upper Pines. Is there any way to verify this?
Here's a link to their website: http://baysideadventuresports.com
And here's a link to their webpage regarding their 2011 Yosemite trips: http://baysideadventuresports.com/yosemite/

Why do I get the uneasy feeling that they are going to start using the Merced River to baptize people?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2011 07:56AM by szalkowski.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login