All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tune up trip
May 31, 2010 08:46PM
I got to go out and do some testing and preparing for my Yosemite trip. A short 3 day hike to Fordyce Falls and back. I learned that my sleeping bag although rated at +15 is more like +50. I had a great time and took lots of photos.

My camp
May 31, 2010 09:00PM
TD,

It looks like you had plenty of water!

I notice that you are wearing a hat similar to one that I just sent back: Outdoor Reasearch (fastens under the chin with close sunguards?) I could not get over the closed in feeling and the skin contact during hot weather, however, the coverage would have been great!

What brand sleeping bag did you use? I have a Marmot +20, but I seriously doubt that I would trust it down that low!

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
May 31, 2010 09:22PM
TD,

Congrats on your first solo trip. Nice photos, thanx for sharing.

-L.
Re: Tune up trip
May 31, 2010 09:58PM
Bee
TD,

I notice that you are wearing a hat similar to one that I just sent back: Outdoor Reasearch (fastens under the chin with close sunguards?) I could not get over the closed in feeling and the skin contact during hot weather, however, the coverage would have been great!

What brand sleeping bag did you use? I have a Marmot +20, but I seriously doubt that I would trust it down that low!

The hat is called Insect Shield. It contains something to repel insects. I always wear a baseball type hat. I got that one to keep the wind out of my ears. I rolled the flap up and buttoned it through the elastic band and that kept it up very nice. I also found as I pushed though tree branches the flap kept stuff out of my ears and kept stuff from falling down the back of my shirt.

I have a Big Agnes Lost Ranger. What temp rating is advised for the "warmer" season up at high elevation?
May 31, 2010 10:16PM
traildad

I have a Big Agnes Lost Ranger. What temp rating is advised for the "warmer" season up at high elevation?

I tend to run cold, so I use a +20 all of the time, but the rest of the group tends to be happy with a +40 during the "warmer" season (does anyone remember what that feels like?) However, most of us use the "two-layer" system to boost the bag if you need to: in the winter, the guys use liners and bring puffies to wear around camp (or in the bag if it is really cold) In the summer, along withthe year round mid-weight thermals, fleece top & bottom replaces the puffies. There is some talk, though, of sticking with the puffy jacket year round, rather than carrying a fleece one, because down stuffs better.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
June 06, 2010 06:37AM
I am always prepared for 20F. The more you are out there, the more you realize how drastically and suddenly the weather/temp can change on you. When it starts to snow in summer, I appreciate that I was that cautious/paranoid. I too started out with a bag that said one thing and could not manage it (a 30F bag that was cold at 45F). Too many bags are inaccurately rated, more so than subjective perception accounts for.

I can also say that eating and drinking before bed makes a HUGE difference, as does a little exercise. Your body is the thing really keeping you warm.

Another thing to think about - did you use a pad in the sleeve of your Big Agnes? Was it insulated? If you got the cheapest Big Agnes inflatable mattress, it isn't insulated and it doesn't matter what bag you use, with the Air Core in temps 45-50F you will start to feel cold from underneath.

I use quilts. Cuts down on the bulk and the weight. I also use a tarp and hammock - weighs about the same as a single person tent (about 3 lbs) and works very well to keep me comfy. Sleeping pads work well for the ground or the hammock to keep your bum warm.

The only tent I currently own is a tarptent that weighs 20 oz. - coincidentally the same as one of my 20F down quilts.
June 06, 2010 04:46PM
I used the air core insulated. I guess I will work with this for a while. They do make bags that are rated lower that are the same size.
June 01, 2010 12:28AM
Bee

And plenty of rocks to sleep on!
June 01, 2010 08:53PM
No rocks. There was a nice area that must have been a low spot that filled in with dirt. I was even able to stick my tent stakes in. Some time this year I plan to "thru" hike that trail from Meadow Lake to Bowman Road.
June 01, 2010 06:53AM
Bee mentioned this:

http://www.rei.com/product/781858

Doesn't add much weight... feels soooo nice.
Been using 15 degree with this in winter. Just recently moved to 25.
It got down to about 34 this past weekend.
I'll go to 30 in July and August.

The only thing that has ever gotten cold is my knees... pressing against the
bag. My solution for that is poofy pants. They're coming with me year round
now. (and they look cool) Even in winter I end up taking them off and
leaving them in the bag. If knees get cold position poofies over knees.

Western Mountaineering Flash Pants:
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Down-Garments&cat=Pants
June 01, 2010 08:55PM
I was looking at the silk liner when I was at REI last time. My wife bought me one for Christmas because I had mentioned one. I should say she bought me something like that. The box said "as seen on TV". I think it might be a little different than the one at REiwinking smiley
June 05, 2010 10:52AM
Hi traildad,

What kind of a tent have you used?
How much does it weight?
June 06, 2010 01:38AM
Yury
Hi traildad,

What kind of a tent have you used?
How much does it weight?

If you click on the link "My Camp" in my first post you will see a photo of it. It is a Wenzel. It weighs about 3lbs. It is was billed as a bicycle tent as I recall when I got it. That is the only small tent I have used.
June 06, 2010 08:04PM
Hi traildad,

What Wenzel model is this?
I do not see any A-frame tent on the http://www.wenzelco.com/Tents.aspx site.
June 06, 2010 09:52PM
I got it in 05. I believe it is called the Starlight.

See it on Ebay.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login