Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tioga vs. Sonora

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tioga vs. Sonora
June 04, 2010 01:52PM
Hi All, I'm an anxious passenger over passes, which of the two is less white knuckling for the anxious types???? winking smiley Thanks.
June 04, 2010 02:02PM
KathCombs
Hi All, I'm an anxious passenger over passes, which of the two is less white knuckling for the anxious types???? winking smiley Thanks.

Sonora would probably be best for you.
June 04, 2010 02:03PM
They both have their moments. 120 leads into the park, or out of it, but in either direction you get to go through the park. Mono Lake is on the eastern side so that will be worth half a day or more for looking around there. On the west side you would be able to swing by Hetch Hetchy.

108 takes you through some nice scenery but either end of it is so-so.

They both end up in historic Oakdale on the west side.

What is your starting point?

Old Dude
June 04, 2010 02:28PM
KathCombs

What makes you 'anxious'? The windy roads, or the vertical cliffs?
June 04, 2010 02:50PM
Family trip starting in San Diego, heading up..... Sequoias, Kings Canyon, Yosemite, out to the 395 thru Death Valley cutting over to Vegas, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon. How is that for a First Time RV Trip!?!?!? As far as my anxiety, its the vertical cliffs!
June 04, 2010 03:37PM
KathCombs
How is that for a First Time RV Trip!?!?!? As far as my anxiety, its the vertical cliffs!

While Tioga has a lot more cliffs to be anxious about Sonora is not real good for an RV.
June 04, 2010 03:50PM
I'm sure hard to predict with traffic, conditions, etc., how long would you estimate it takes to get across on Tiago pass in an RV?
June 04, 2010 04:58PM
From Yosemite Valley floor to 395 is about 75 miles. If you figure an average driving speed of 30 mph you will have about 2.5 hours of driving. If you do the valley loop and look at some stuff then add at least one hour for the valley. You will stop at Olmstead Point for at least one half hour. Then maybe at Tenaya Lake for a bit. Tuolumne Meadow area can consume another hour.

Don't know where you plan on starting the day when you go across 120 to 395 but I would budget an entire day to get from Fresno to 395 assuming an early start from Fresno going into Yosemite via 41. It's about 90 miles from Fresno to the valley floor and will take about 2 to 3 hours.

The whole trip from Fresno to 395 is about 170 miles.

If you are planning on spending the night before crossing 120 to 395 near the park or in the park then you can have a nice day looking often and long at stuff.

We don't know where you plan to stop once you get to 395.

Old Dude
June 04, 2010 05:40PM
Thanks Mike. We plan on staying at Yosemite View Lodge - it looks like its right inside the park from my Hubby's map. We are renting a 31 foot rv. So, Tiago it is! I'm assuming RVs that size go over Tiago Pass all the time..... Maybe Yosemite View Lodge to Mammoth Lakes in one day?! We are new at this and I worry we may be over ambitious in our driving plan. Any advise y'all give is great!
June 04, 2010 07:25PM
Your lodge is just outside the park on 140. I don't know your planed route but if you are in Fresno I would suggest taking 41 into the park and then exiting the park on 140 west to the lodge. Getting to 140 from Fresno would require you to go to 99 and then east on 140. If you have time on the day you are checking into the Yosemite View Lodge then going into the park via 41 should be no problem plus you might be able to do the valley floor tour on that day and have the next day to take in all the sights on 120.

Where are you going to stay after you hit 395 and head south?

By the way, rumor has it that the pizza at the little gas station complex at the intersection of 120 and 395 is well worth the stop. If you are coming from Yosemite to 395 it would be a simple right turn directly into the parking lot. A person named "Bee" may chime in on this.

And yes a 31 foot RV is probably the perfect size. Heed the caution about being in a low gear when going down the east side of 120 toward 395. Just put the thing in the lowest gear and don't worry about those people behind you. Let them take in the views along with you.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2010 07:27PM by mrcondron.
June 04, 2010 07:26PM
mrcondron
I would suggest taking 41 into the park

You haven't been reading the construction news?
June 04, 2010 07:29PM
Is there some kind of a delay? Does it exceed the time it would take to go to 99 and then over on 140?

No. I have not been reading the Construction News. I worked for IBM.

Old Dude
June 04, 2010 07:41PM
mrcondron
Is there some kind of a delay? Does it exceed the time it would take to go to 99 and then over on 140?

No. I have not been reading the Construction News. I worked for IBM.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/roadwork.htm#wawona
June 04, 2010 07:55PM
It would seem that unless you are coming late there shouldn't be much more than 15 to 30 minutes delay. The one hour delay is pretty late.
I'd still use 41 to the valley and then out west on 140 to the lodge.

Whdayu think?

Old Dude
June 04, 2010 07:56PM
mrcondron
It would seem that unless you are coming late there shouldn't be much more than 15 to 30 minutes delay. The one hour delay is pretty late.
I'd still use 41 to the valley and then out west on 140 to the lodge.

Whdayu think?

I think it'd take quite a bit longer than just using 140.
June 04, 2010 08:07PM
I'll do a google map on it later tonight unless you beat me to it.

Old Dude
June 04, 2010 08:09PM
mrcondron
I'll do a google map on it later tonight unless you beat me to it.

Don't forget that the traffic will get very bunched up by the delay. Even an RV will find someone too slow in front of it.
June 04, 2010 08:20PM
True but in an RV you can eat and drink through the delays.

Old Dude
June 04, 2010 09:49PM
mrcondron
I worked for IBM.

029 repair guy?
June 04, 2010 08:27PM
mrcondron
And yes a 31 foot RV is probably the perfect size. Heed the caution about being in a low gear when going down the east side of 120 toward 395. Just put the thing in the lowest gear and don't worry about those people behind you. Let them take in the views along with you.

Actually, California law requires that if you are driving slowly and being followed by five or more vehicles, you must use a turnout or pull over to the side of the road, if it is safe to do so, to allow those vehicles to pass:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648toc.htm
June 04, 2010 08:28PM
szalkowski
Actually, California law requires that if you are driving slowly and being followed by five or more vehicles, you must use a turnout or pull over to the side of the road, if it is safe to do so, to allow those vehicles to pass:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648toc.htm

It does. But that doesn't mean it is obeyed. <sigh>
June 04, 2010 09:14PM
There are several nice pullouts on the east side of 120 but my point was to not let the cars behind push you into going beyond a comfortable speed. The total downhill trip is only about 15 minutes.

Old Dude
June 04, 2010 09:16PM
mrcondron
my point was to not let the cars behind push you into going beyond a comfortable speed.

Yes, do that and use the turn outs.
June 04, 2010 09:36PM
Absolutely use the turnouts. I've wished I had some James Bond kind of thing a few times following a slow poke. Once I was on 108 and the guy in front of me was driving a pickup with a camper shell and was doing about 25 mph. When there was a place when I could pass he would pull into the center of the road and straddle the center line. When he finally let me by I did indeed indicate to him my displeasure.

Old Dude
June 04, 2010 09:48PM
mrcondron
When he finally let me by I did indeed indicate to him my displeasure.

Did he speed up while you were passing him?
June 04, 2010 04:25PM
I agree with eeek. Do not go over 108 in an RV. There are a couple of hairpin turns that can be real trouble. Stick to 120.

Old Dude
June 04, 2010 05:32PM
I've done Tioga pass twice now, west to east, in a 24'C RV. No problems. Only part remotely unnerving is the long decent down after the pass. No windy curves, mostly straight shot down. As long as you take it slow, in a low gear, it's easy. If you're using the brakes a lot, you're not in a low enough gear. Yes, you'll be going slow, but safe.

If you were going east to west, I suspect it would be even easier, just a slow climb up.

Have yet to go over Sonora, been meaning to, just haven't done it. But I've heard that you DON'T want to do it in a RV.

I've done I80 over the Sierras as a rookie, as well as Beartooth pass in Montana. Both are more challenging than Tioga (I80 was just too many lanes, too fast, etc) Felt more comfortable on Tioga, plus the sights are far superior. Plus, I80 is really really rough these days, road condition wise.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login