Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tuolumne to Happy Isles 6/19-6/21

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tuolumne to Happy Isles 6/19-6/21
June 08, 2010 12:10PM
This is my first post on this site - I've lurked for years and have always been able to get great info before visiting. But now, I've gotta ask the experts...

I have a group of 6 heading from Tuolumne to Happy Isles 6/19-6/21 on the JMT. I've never been on the trail, and with all the snow up there I'm trying to find out what to expect. I'm hoping things will melt quickly, but I know there will still be snow up there by the time we go. We plan on camping near the Sunrise HSC night 1 (it'll still be closed). Are we asking to be the latest entries into that "Death in Yosemite Valley" book?

Thanks for any and all advice!
avatar Re: Tuolumne to Happy Isles 6/19-6/21
June 08, 2010 12:52PM
From what I gather (check the "Hiking alternatives with current conditions" thread) the streams are pretty full right now with all the snowmelt. Do you have rubber waders? winking smiley
June 08, 2010 01:14PM
Likewise, this is my first post on the site. And I too have been "lurking" for quite some time. My question is a bit different but fits in with the topic of RR1.

I have been planning a family camping trip to Tuolumne Meadows since January for the week of 6/27 - 7/3. The late snows this year are throwing a monkey wrench into our plans. Question: What is the likelihood the TM campground will be open? Does anyone have any current photos of the TM area, or specifically the campsites, to get a feel for the amount of snow that needs too melt? Any info would be great.

Additionally, let me offer my words of thanks to regular conributors here, I have enjoyed your "witty reparte" and the wealth of great info.

GO BRUINS!
June 08, 2010 01:58PM
TM Campground normally not open until July 1st.

I try to post peekchure for you next week of TM.

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 08, 2010 02:12PM
Thanks chick-on,
Much appreciated.
June 08, 2010 02:23PM
There's a picture of TM from yesterday here.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

June 08, 2010 03:25PM
Yo chick-on,
You da-bomb.
I was at that web-page this morning and they had a different peekchure up for viewing.
It looks like the majority of the snow is melting very fast, which means it will be flooded for several weeks, with muddy campsites to boot.
Thanks
June 08, 2010 04:05PM
Bruins Rule
Yo chick-on,
You da-bomb.

Yep! Bowing to his greatness

..."mess you up", too! smiling bouncing smiley
June 08, 2010 04:38PM
Nut shur what u axing. Watt chew worried bout?

Don't venture onto frozen over Cathedral Lakes.
Carry Map and compass. Know how to use.
Be prepared. Stay warm. Keep party together.

IMO you almost want to go earlier than later... before the
snow bridges have all gone bye bye... makes crossing
streams a snap... That being said... all the creeks
you have to cross.. if open... shouldn't be too big an issue.
Nothing life threatening...

Expect to hike in a lot in the snow... and mush...

June 08, 2010 04:42PM
Of course keep checking the wilderness conditions page.
There's alot of nutjobs out there who will hike in anything.
(and I get dragged along ...)

June 08, 2010 05:56PM
Hello.. Heard snow is melting and trails are showing on sunny spots.. there will be people on the trail and you can follow footsteps.
Me too will be on trail from 7/5- 7/14.. will have a detailed Map and GPS.. just in case.
Will be hiking Vogelsang, merced Lake, Sunrise , May Lake and Glen Aulin..
HSC will be definitly delayed, how ever there will be employee's arriving to set things up.
A waterproof hiking boot is a must. You will be getting your water out of streams..
Let's all hope for Sunny Hot weather.. Let's all enjoy our hike and be safe..
June 08, 2010 07:04PM
By 7/14 there should be no problems other than perhaps some high water and mosquitoes.

Old Dude
June 10, 2010 05:24AM
Twice I've been turned back by snow before July on that same route. ( had my young son with me ) But here's what I found. The snow can be deep enough to cover the blazes on the trees, let alone the trail. We followed well established foot trails that lead to nowhere. We brought snow shoes, MSR Denalis, and used them. I would strongly suggest forgetting about following the exact trail and use a GPS with map selected way points to guide you. The trail is doable, just need to adjust to the conditions. I envy your trip. YOS is one of my first stops when I get back from Afghanistan.
June 14, 2010 09:04AM
Thanks for all of the replies - the trip is coming up this weekend - we're excited, but a little nervous.

I've been reading the other threads on Sunrise trailhead and Tuolumne and it looks like there is still going to be a lot of snow up there (special thanks to eeek for the pics). I'm going to call the ranger station on Thursday for the latest conditions.

Any recommendations on which trail to take if we can get alternative permits? Sunrise to LYV or stick with Tuolumne to LYV (via JMT). Will one be a lot more snow covered and marshy? I saw the pics of the Tenaya Lake outlet crossing...looks like a scary cold swim! I was thinking we would simply walk in already established foot steps...but sounds like we may need snowshoes?

Any and all help is appreciated!
June 14, 2010 01:11PM
RR1
I was thinking we would simply walk in already established foot steps

I'm not sure how well that would work. There were more sun cups than foot prints.

...but sounds like we may need snowshoes?

Most of the time I was walking on top of the snow but occasionally I broke through. It was slow going and took more energy than walking on a trail.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login