Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Bridalveil Campground 2010 opening?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Bridalveil Campground 2010 opening?
June 12, 2010 07:59PM
I am thinking about staying Bridalveil Campground this Friday night. Any idea when the Bridalveil Campground 2010 opening date is?

Also, does any one know the trail conditions to Ottoway Lake and Red Peak Pass. I can imagine any fords of the river will be quite interesting this time of year with amount of melting going on....

Michael
avatar Re: Bridalveil Campground 2010 opening?
June 12, 2010 08:04PM
Currently it is scheduled for July 1st.
Re: Bridalveil Campground 2010 opening?
June 12, 2010 09:53PM
Eeek,

Can one camp down a ways from Mono Meadow trailhead?

Michael
June 12, 2010 09:59PM
AlpenGlühen

You'd need a wilderness permit and there's a minimum distance you have to be from the trailhead.
June 13, 2010 07:22AM
eeek
AlpenGlühen

You'd need a wilderness permit and there's a minimum distance you have to be from the trailhead.

That minimum distance for Mono Meadow TH is about 3/4 mile complete with feeder stream to Illouette Creek.
June 13, 2010 07:44AM
tomdisco
eeek
AlpenGlühen

That minimum distance for Mono Meadow TH is about 3/4 mile complete with feeder stream to Illouette Creek.

Actually, unless it is superseded in distance by one of the special circumstance regions, the basic rule is that you must be at least one air mile from any road:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildregs.htm

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2010 08:49AM by szalkowski.
June 13, 2010 11:36AM
szalkowski
tomdisco
eeek
AlpenGlühen

Actually, unless it is superseded in distance by one of the special circumstance regions, the basic rule is that you must be at least one air mile from any road:

Len,

I thought the rangers followed the "no overnight camping" zone as indicated on the Natl Geo Trails Illustrated Maps, which differ substantially from that rule. I would have presumed Natl Geo's no camping zone data came directly from Yosemite. On their maps there are substantial areas of Yosemite where the rule does not seem to apply. Having said that I suspect you are probably right. These maps are a great disservice on that subject if they are incorrect. Anyway, I've sent nps.gov/yos an email pointing out this huge disparity on maps being used by the rangers for trail planning and permits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2010 12:03PM by tomdisco.
June 13, 2010 01:18PM
tomdisco
szalkowski
tomdisco
eeek
AlpenGlühen

Len,

I thought the rangers followed the "no overnight camping" zone as indicated on the Natl Geo Trails Illustrated Maps, which differ substantially from that rule. I would have presumed Natl Geo's no camping zone data came directly from Yosemite. On their maps there are substantial areas of Yosemite where the rule does not seem to apply. Having said that I suspect you are probably right. These maps are a great disservice on that subject if they are incorrect. Anyway, I've sent nps.gov/yos an email pointing out this huge disparity on maps being used by the rangers for trail planning and permits.

The rules that are in the above link are reproduced, almost word-for-word, on the National Geographic maps.

They also appear on your Wilderness Permit and are generally included in the "Ranger Spiel" that you receive along with the permit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2010 01:21PM by szalkowski.
June 13, 2010 04:38PM
szalkowski
tomdisco
szalkowski
tomdisco
eeek
AlpenGlühen

Len,

The rules that are in the above link are reproduced, almost word-for-word, on the National Geographic maps.

They also appear on your Wilderness Permit and are generally included in the "Ranger Spiel" that you receive along with the permit.

O.K., so what's with the purple shaded "no overnight camping" areas? Word for word? How about zone for zone? I don't have a problem with the printed rules. I just don't understand why there is such a difference between what the wording says and what the shaded areas indicate. Apparently nobody cares that these shaded areas are almost completely bogus. What about the other side of these shaded areas, the portions far from paved roads that extend for example deep into the Delaney Creek and Dingley Creek watersheds. How accurate are they? Last year I was very careful to camp outside the indicated no camping zone on the western return trail from Young Lakes. Now I'm wondering how necessary that was. Sorry to carry on like this but I'm one of those people who relies heavily on map info and expect it to be accurate. I have the same impatience with grossly inaccurate street maps and roads that don't appear on GPS displays.
angry smiley
June 17, 2010 08:39AM
tomdisco
szalkowski
tomdisco
szalkowski
tomdisco
eeek
AlpenGlühen

Len,

O.K., so what's with the purple shaded "no overnight camping" areas? Word for word? How about zone for zone? I don't have a problem with the printed rules. I just don't understand why there is such a difference between what the wording says and what the shaded areas indicate. Apparently nobody cares that these shaded areas are almost completely bogus. What about the other side of these shaded areas, the portions far from paved roads that extend for example deep into the Delaney Creek and Dingley Creek watersheds. How accurate are they? Last year I was very careful to camp outside the indicated no camping zone on the western return trail from Young Lakes. Now I'm wondering how necessary that was. Sorry to carry on like this but I'm one of those people who relies heavily on map info and expect it to be accurate. I have the same impatience with grossly inaccurate street maps and roads that don't appear on GPS displays.
angry smiley

I finally received an answer from Jeffrey at Yosemite NPS on this subject. The only thing he can figure is that Natl Geo chose to display only the no camping areas affected by the "up to 4-mile" zones from major activity areas and that this decision was likely for the purpose of not cluttering up their maps with purple shading for all the 1-mile zones. Makes sense.eye popping smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login