Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Mosquitoes

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 15, 2010 04:38PM
Got a few bites on the Four Mile Trail last Friday. I suspect the little buggers are bad around dusk in the Valley.
June 15, 2010 05:20PM
See, if you had been INSIDE (watching TV), they would have left you alone. Damned beasties mucking up the outside fun.
June 15, 2010 05:32PM
cooperhawk
See, if you had been INSIDE (watching TV), they would have left you alone. Damned beasties mucking up the outside fun.

Even then you can get bit if someone left a door or window open! Mosquito biting
June 15, 2010 05:33PM
For those that don't know what a mosquito looks like:

June 16, 2010 09:43AM
eeek

Cute little fella but you are not supposed to feed the animals.
June 16, 2010 11:10AM
tomdisco
eeek

Cute little fella but you are not supposed to feed the animals.

It wasn't me (nor is it my photo).
June 19, 2010 07:27AM
Great 'skeeter" pic ...

reminds of a little brain-teaser I threw at my 2 grandsons (6yo & 8yo) recently, since they like this kind of sillyness::

I was out hiking and a beautiful flying insect landed right in front of me ... just sat there still for ten minutes .. close enough for me to simply reach out and touch.

But it was completely impossible to photograph him.

So why was that?

They tried and tried, but couldn't guess the answer ...

I finally told them:

A: because he landed right on my camera.

ba-da-Boom_TISH .... yeah, one of those riddles kids love ...
June 19, 2010 09:01AM
I hiked to upper Yosemite Falls last week and also Four Mile Trail. The mosquitoes on the Four Mile Trail were fairly bad the first two miles, but there were none within 2 miles of Glacier Point. However, the bugs on the Yosemite Falls trail were awful. With all the melt off this year, the mosquitoes will be bad until late July, especially in the High Country.
June 20, 2010 09:00PM
The skeeters were horrible on Eagle Peak at dusk and pretty bad from Yos Falls to Eagle Peak...
June 20, 2010 11:10PM
Skeeter query:

Are there different "varieties" of skeeters? Sitting here tonight (I live less than a block from a creek) I swatted both an itty bitty skeeter looking thing, and then one that looked like the one pictured above. The little tiny one flew like a skeeter, and looked like one, but only miniturized. Do they come in "sizes" ???

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
June 20, 2010 11:17PM
June 28, 2010 01:44PM
No mosquitoes on the Kearsarge Pass trail yesterday (June 27). Plenty of flies though and some gnat swarms near Flower Lake. Big Pothole Lake still has some ice coverage.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login