Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Firewood

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Firewood
June 20, 2010 09:31PM
Got a quick question about firewood... I heard somewhere that firewood's about $8/cord in the Valley. Is that the accurate price? Also, does anyone know somewhere cheaper in Oakhurst or Fish Camp to get some firewood? I read on Yosemite's website that as long as it's within 50 miles of the park, it's ok to bring from outside.

Thanks,

Steven
June 20, 2010 10:07PM
steve814
I heard somewhere that firewood's about $8/cord in the Valley. Is that the accurate price?

No, it's not a cord or anywhere near one.
June 20, 2010 10:15PM
Maybe $8 a box. Hundreds for a cord.
June 20, 2010 10:22PM
steve814
Got a quick question about firewood... I heard somewhere that firewood's about $8/cord in the Valley. Is that the accurate price? Also, does anyone know somewhere cheaper in Oakhurst or Fish Camp to get some firewood? I read on Yosemite's website that as long as it's within 50 miles of the park, it's ok to bring from outside.

Thanks,

Steven

What they sell is nowhere near a cord, which I read as 128 ft3. What I recall from last year was closer to 2x2x1ft box for about $10. I don't know if they've changed their supplier, but what I bought last year was seasoned almond wood with kindling, sourced from somewhere around Fresno.

If you buy firewood in Oakhurst, you're not likely to save that much. It'll probably be about $6-8 a bundle or box. It does meet the recommendation for under $50, although I'd be surprised if the source wasn't someplace in the Central Valley or even beyond.

There's nothing illegal about brining in firewood from more than 50 miles away, but they discourage it because of the possibility of brining in wood-boring pests. I believe it might be illegal to bring in wood from certain states, but people rarely bother to transport firewood for such long distances.
June 20, 2010 10:26PM
y_p_w
What I recall from last year was closer to 2x2x1ft box for about $10.

I don't think the box is that big.
June 21, 2010 07:49AM
Sorry dunno why I wrote cord. Meant to write like a bundle. Late night pre trip excitement!
June 21, 2010 08:11AM
eeek
y_p_w
What I recall from last year was closer to 2x2x1ft box for about $10.

I don't think the box is that big.

Someone actually took a photo (circa 2006) and posted it on Flickr. I would guess this would be from the Curry Village Store.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amsk/266037760/

It might be closer to 2x1.5x1ft. For the most part I don't want to transport a box of firewood unless I've already emptied my car of all the camping supplies.
June 21, 2010 09:13AM
For years they carried "Old Durham" brand Almond wood in that cardboard box, I think the box size was either
1 or 1.2 cu. feet (?) stated on the side of the box.
Last Fall when I was there, they had switched suppliers to "John's Firewood" I think was the brand on the box.
Same size box, and as stated, cost about $10...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login