Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Valley Rafting

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 21, 2010 03:42PM
Latest rumor is they will try to open the rafting service this Friday.
Re: Valley Rafting
June 21, 2010 06:38PM
I spoke with someone on the wilderness reservations phone line this morning and he said they had received a tentative notice that TM campground, the hiker bus and etc might be starting on the same day you mentioned above, June 25th. I wonder if that is purely coincidence.
June 22, 2010 07:36AM
Probably the day they can get all their employees processed and ready to start work for the summer.
March 26, 2011 11:05PM
Any info for 2011? Trying to plan ahead.
March 26, 2011 11:40PM
ahhh . . it's WAY too soon to even guess.

It hasn't stopped snowing up there. Maybe in a month or so once they start plowing the roads open we'll know more.
March 27, 2011 12:24AM
From previous years and this crazy rainy season into account, when is a conservative estimate? Need to ask for time off.
March 27, 2011 09:07AM
I think rafting in the valley is restricted until the water flow is deemed not dangerous. With all this snow it may be well into July before the Merced is "safe".

Old Dude
March 27, 2011 10:03AM
I wouldn't count on rafting before late June, but you never know.
April 02, 2011 12:16AM
Thanks. I'll plan for July then.
March 27, 2011 03:32PM
There is no real rafting in the Valley itself. I'd call it more floating than rafting. The white water rafting is outside the valley in the Merced River Canyon. The Zephyr should start the beginning of April.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2011 03:32PM by Dave.
March 27, 2011 05:34PM
Valley Rafting = floating

Old Dude
March 27, 2011 05:38PM
mrcondron
Valley Rafting = floating

Not if you start at Little Yosemite Valley. Grinning Devil
March 27, 2011 05:40PM
chuckle, cackle, chuckle, chuckle.

Old Dude
March 29, 2011 11:35AM
Wonder if YoSAR has ever considered a great big strainer midway down the falls? Might save them some climbing around in crevasses behind vernal....
April 01, 2011 11:49PM
I have seen people 'floating' in the rivers all the time. During May/June, it seems a bit dangerous though.
April 02, 2011 10:53AM
During May/June, I would get emails warning about the dangerous of the river and not getting in there. Due to all the snow melting, it is a beast. In August though, I see kids walk around and play in it all day.
April 04, 2011 03:08PM
The river does get pretty intense then. I see people in little rafts sometime going down Merced.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login