Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Tuolumne Meadows Campground, Tenaya Lake and Hiking?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tuolumne Meadows Campground, Tenaya Lake and Hiking?
June 25, 2010 02:01PM
Hi folks,

Hoping you can help me out.

Any ideas of the condition Tuolumne Meadows Campground, e.g. snow on the ground, giant lake, moderate marsh, totally fine? I am going up with a group and I need to make sure they are prepared. I'll get there Thurs 7/1, group arrives Fri. We're planning on parking a few cars in overflow--is that under snow still?

Heard the campground is opening on 7/1. Anyone know or suspect otherwise? I heard they had a sewer issue that they were working on fixing. Any info on this?

I know most of the usual trails are still under snow. Suggestions for things that would be okay for folks used to trails and not a lot of scrambling and snow? I have a hearty hiker group and then some other folks that I'm going to want to take on a less intense experience.

How's Tenaya Lake? Saw pics of it from a few weeks ago--icy! Is it filled with ice cubes still or is it down to actual water? I have some kayakers coming who wanted to take their boats out.

Thanks, everyone, in advance. I'll post pics when I get back so others can have an idea of the conditions.

wen
June 25, 2010 03:49PM
Tenaya Lake was ice free last weekend. Mighty cold water...
avatar Re: Tuolumne Meadows Campground, Tenaya Lake and Hiking?
June 25, 2010 04:31PM
RR1
Tenaya Lake was ice free last weekend. Mighty cold water...

I was mostly ice free on the afternoon of the 10th (and pretty well covered the day before):

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/sh-dscn4474.jpg.html
June 25, 2010 05:18PM
Awesome, thanks so much. I didn't want people to haul up boats and then find out it was chock-a-block with ice!
June 25, 2010 05:20PM
Guess we'll have to forego the skinny dipping then. winking smiley
June 25, 2010 05:24PM
wen
Guess we'll have to forego the skinny dipping then. winking smiley

Save the skinny dipping for someplace like here: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=37.647471,-118.807783&spn=0.007459,0.020535&t=h&z=17
June 25, 2010 06:18PM
Walked through much of the campground yesterday for a dayhike out to Elizabeth Lake. The trail starts at the end of Loop B. Looked dry and free of snow to me. alot of work going on there as well. When I got back to my car later in the day, workmen had put in a satelllite dish. It wouldn't work according one of the workers. The signal was being blocked by a tree.
June 27, 2010 01:07PM
We are going to be pulling into the campground early on the 5th to try and find a spot. This is my family's first time to Yosemite. My kids think that they will be swiming in Tenaya lake. I told them it will be cold, but they are insisting.
June 27, 2010 01:16PM
thecondor
We are going to be pulling into the campground early on the 5th to try and find a spot. This is my family's first time to Yosemite. My kids think that they will be swiming in Tenaya lake. I told them it will be cold, but they are insisting.

Swimming in snowmelt sounds like fun. Just make sure the health insurance is current and have plenty of hot beverages ready in case hypothermia sets in. Do you have wetsuits for them? That could help.

I heard that last year someone (illegally) swimming in the Emerald Pool just above Vernal Fall passed out from the cold and had to be pulled out. He lived, although I'm not sure if he got fined or not/
June 27, 2010 01:30PM
I think that once they get their feet wet they will change their tune. smiling smiley
June 27, 2010 04:33PM
Nah, after their feet have been in the water for a few seconds they won't even feel them anymore.

Old Dude
June 28, 2010 03:53PM
So after our snowmelt dip and brush with hypothermia we'll need another activity or 5. LOL.

Any good hikes? Looking for a couple at moderate level (8-12 miles, moderate to goat-like elevation) and a couple beginner (3-8 miles, easy to moderate elevation) without a ton of snow. Happy to drive a bit (30 min to an hour) from Tuolumne to get there. Planning on doing Lembert Dome because I heard that one's thawed out already. If you know differently, please tell me.

Thanks everyone! And again, I'll report back after the trip so those going later will have updated conditions.

--wen
June 28, 2010 05:16PM
Olmstead Point to Mount Wadkins. About 3.25 miles one way. Great views from the mount. Take a short side trip to Hidden Lake on the way over to Wadkins. Wadkins is off trail but there is a very obvious use trail at the saddle at 8200 feet.

While at Lembert try going on up to Dog Lake and if you do get to Dog Lake keep pushing north to Delaney Creek. If you are comfortable crossing Delaney keep going north if snow conditions allow it and about two miles past Dog Lake there will be some pretty spectacular views to the south.

Old Dude
June 28, 2010 05:56PM
Awesome info Mike! Thanks!
June 27, 2010 05:36PM
Tenya is actually warmer than you would think. Well at least the first few feet are, once you hit the dark dark blue water, it gets very cold.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login