Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Last Minute Holiday Weekend Camping in Tuolumne Meadows?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Last Minute Holiday Weekend Camping in Tuolumne Meadows?
June 27, 2010 03:45PM
Hi y'all! I'm new to this forum, but wished I'd learned about it a long time ago. Seems like you all have loads of good advice.

Speaking of advice... we're hoping to be able to celebrate our anniversary in Tuolumne Meadows. We're planning on heading up on July 1 and staying through July 5. I know, crazy, but it's the only time we can get away from work and life, sadly. I'd much rather go when there are fewer people (are there every really fewer people?), but it is what it is.

I know that all the reserve-able campsites have been booked for months. How early would one need to arrive on July 1 to get one of the FCFS sites?

Are there any good back-up plans for car-camping if all the sites are booked when we show up?

This will be my first trip to the meadows other than a few short day hikes. Usually we stay in the valley (in the off season), or Hetch Hetchy area, and generally stick to the quieter, less traveled trails. Any recommendations for quiet trails, or even the must-see popular trails?

TIA!
Re: Last Minute Holiday Weekend Camping in Tuolumne Meadows?
June 27, 2010 05:47PM
I would get there as early as possible, 6 am is not out of the question for a holiday weekend. Hopefully they weren't all taken the day before!
avatar Re: Last Minute Holiday Weekend Camping in Tuolumne Meadows?
June 27, 2010 07:17PM
Thanks for your response.

I'm kinda hoping that 8 am on Thursday will be good enough. I can't imagine leaving earlier than 4 am. But I'll certainly give it more thought now. If we have to change our plans, maybe we'll head back down the mountain and stay in Hetch Hetchy area. I'm sure it's lovely there too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2010 07:17PM by itchbay.
June 27, 2010 09:31PM
There are forest service campgrounds down near the bottom of Tioga Pass, just up the road from Lee Vining. There is also a campground in the 20 lakes basin. Also, the Tioga Resort (which is probably sold out) http://www.tiogapassresort.com/
June 30, 2010 12:25AM
Not sure if it helps but www.twitter.com/MonoInfo states that Ellery Lake Campground just opened (4 miles east of Tioga Pass on 120) on June 24.
avatar Re: Last Minute Holiday Weekend Camping in Tuolumne Meadows?
July 06, 2010 05:33PM
As it turns out, we arrived around 9 am or so on July 1, and got a campsite without a problem. In fact, there were sites still available on July 2.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login