All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

John Muir Trail Conditions - Tuolumne into Yosemite Valley
June 30, 2010 06:50PM
We want to hike down into the valley from Tuolumne - Cathedral trailhead through Sunrise. Has anyone done this trail in the last week? I saw the posts from 10 days ago - even if they're like that, we'd probably do it. Anyone got images of the trail itself?

Thanks!
Re: John Muir Trail Conditions - Tuolumne into Yosemite Valley
June 30, 2010 10:09PM
This person just started the JMT

- My son and I started he hike on June 27th and made it to Toulune Meadows post office at 3:57 (3 min before post office closed). The trail was clear with no snow up to a couple of miles before sunrise junction. We met people heading to YV who said there was lost so snow. We crossed the creek right after sunrise that was thigh high but not too bad at about 6:30. We setup camp a litte after that. My son who wasn't feeling very well developed a fever so I was a little worried. Gave him some meds. In the morning I wasn't sure if we should head back or try the snow. We ended going through the snow. There was 70% to 100% coverage from the cathedral junction to Cathredral lakes. We made it to Cathedral lakes around noon and we saw day hikers and were pretty excited. We knew we could make it out that day. From the lakes on down it was 50% coverage and less and less as we got lower. Sometimes the snow got 5 or 6 feet high for 10 to 15 feet then back to trail.

There was lots of snow but not hard to navigate with a GPS and mostly down hill or small hills. We post holed a few times but nothing too bad. We had treking poles and yaktraks and had plenty of traction. It was a little wobbly going through some of the suncups
June 30, 2010 10:13PM
So it sounds like from Sunrise to Cathedral I can expect a fair amount of snow? Is the trail clearly marked?
June 30, 2010 10:15PM
I'm glad your son is OK - I'm planning to do this hike with my own son, except we're coming down from Cathedral to Sunrise into the Valley.
June 30, 2010 10:21PM
When are you leaving. If I recall the only trail sign are sign post at the junctions. You have to be more or less where the trail is
June 30, 2010 10:22PM
We leave for Yosemite on Friday - and plan to hike down on Sunday.
June 30, 2010 10:36PM
I may see going up my daughter and I are starting the JMT the 5 (if we can get a permit) or the 6th which we do have a permit
June 30, 2010 10:39PM
We're planning to do the entire JMT from Tuolumne/Cathedral to the Valley in one day. Thanks very much for all your input -- off to bed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login