All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

White Wolf Cabins for TM Base?
July 01, 2010 08:15AM
Hello all. This place was invaluable for our 2005 Yosemite trip, and I have continued to be an avid 'lurker'. We hope to return in 2011 and this time get to see the TM area, as Tioga Road did not open in 2005 until the day we left. We saw the valley falls at a near peak that year, so my plan for 2011 is to wait until mid-July and spend more time at TM, hopefully three nights at White Wolf. I know, the cabins go fast, so I will begin calling 366 days in advance and have alternate dates in mind. Having never been on Tioga Raod, does this sound like a good plan? We would like to do the standard day hikes in TM....Lembert, Cathedral Lakes, etc. It appears to be about 30 miles to many of the trailheads, but a lot better than staying at Yosemite west or Groveland and making that drive for each day of TM hiking. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks
Re: White Wolf Cabins for TM Base?
July 01, 2010 09:21AM
Why don't you (try to) stay at TM "lodge" instead ? It'd be much more convenient than White Wolf. Tent cabins are similar at both locations, although I think WW may have other cabins with actual walls.
July 01, 2010 09:49AM
The potential problem I see with reserving for TM is what if they don't open in time if we have another wet year? Perhaps reserve tents at both locations, and then cancel whichever one you don't need. TM would definitely be my preference. Park speed limits will make that 30 miles take 45 mins at least.
July 01, 2010 01:10PM
I like White Wolf in general and the restaurant is great. TM Lodge would be more convenient for TM hikes per se, but as long as you're not trying to go out there every day, White Wolf wouldn't be a bad option, especially if you leave early-ish when Tioga isn't so crowded. Plus, you're pretty close to other great trail options like North Dome.
avatar Re: White Wolf Cabins for TM Base?
July 02, 2010 07:10PM
Do you prefer not to camp? I enjoy staying in the TM campground because having trailheads within walking distance means a lot to me. It's great to park your car for several days...makes for a much more relaxing stay, IMHO.
July 26, 2010 10:01AM
Well, getting one of the four cabins with bath at White Wolf is like winning a Powerball Lottery, so I booked a tent cabin in TM for late July next year. Now to convince the wife that it will be awesome! I've read the food storage info on the parks website...can you lock one of the bear storage containers with your cooler, toiletries, etc to keep 'human' bears out, or are they considered community lockers only? TIA
July 26, 2010 05:28PM
davidh
Well, getting one of the four cabins with bath at White Wolf is like winning a Powerball Lottery, so I booked a tent cabin in TM for late July next year. Now to convince the wife that it will be awesome! I've read the food storage info on the parks website...can you lock one of the bear storage containers with your cooler, toiletries, etc to keep 'human' bears out, or are they considered community lockers only? TIA
The tent cabins in Curry Village all have their own bear locker that you can lock. I do not know if they have installed them in TM, best to call. If not, then the lockers are large, and intended to be used by many, but some of the designs do allow for locks. I don't know about you, but in my experience, people just don't steal other people's food and toiletries. And if someone does take my toothpaste, I guess they needed it more than I did.
avatar Re: White Wolf Cabins for TM Base?
July 26, 2010 06:28PM
hotrod4x5
davidh
The tent cabins in Curry Village all have their own bear locker that you can lock. I do not know if they have installed them in TM, best to call. If not, then the lockers are large, and intended to be used by many, but some of the designs do allow for locks. I don't know about you, but in my experience, people just don't steal other people's food and toiletries. And if someone does take my toothpaste, I guess they needed it more than I did.

Not sure if they can be locked like the old Curry Village ones could. However - they've got them.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/lockers.htm

White Wolf Lodge, and Tuolumne Meadows Lodge

Food lockers are available in parking lots at these locations. These lockers measure 17 inches deep by 49 inches wide by 17 inches high (43 cm x 124 cm x 43 cm). Be sure to clip the locker shut, otherwise a bear may open the locker.

I never quite figured out why these tolietries had to be stored but people could use them. I mean - almost everyone brushes with a mint-flavored toothpaste, shampoos with a scented shampoo, and uses scented soap. I know there are unscented versions out there, but the last time I checked, the soap and shower gel at the CV showers were distinctly floral-scented. You've got people camping and staying in tent cabins all over Yosemite who smell like the stuff that's supposed to be stored in a bear locker.
July 27, 2010 08:26AM
Thanks for that link YPW. Looks like only Curry got the new lockers for every tent.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login