Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Echo to Matthes Crest To Unicorn

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Echo to Matthes Crest To Unicorn
July 02, 2010 09:52AM
I can't believe the wealth of experience of hiking in Yosemite this site has!
I will be in TM July 17 thru 25 and I am planning a lot of hikes. I like to get away from the trails a bit and last year went to Echo Peaks from Bud Lake Down to echo Lake and back thru Cathedral Lakes. I am in the process of planning my hikes. What I would like to do this year is maybe head to Elizabeth and up to the ridge between Unicorn and Cocksomb and maybe follow the ridge to Matthes Crest and to Echo. This will be a day hike. I'm usually good for 20 miles a day (+ or -) Is this route posible? Are there any other good hikes like that that are doable also? I've done most of the trails up in the TM area. Also I will be solo hiking.

Thanks
avatar Re: Echo to Matthes Crest To Unicorn
July 06, 2010 10:31AM
I don't know of the ridge that you mention, but check out the "Mathes Crest" post a couple of pages back on forum. A great (although long) day hike..the post even includes a map and pictures. Its a great area, enjoy it!
July 07, 2010 09:17AM
That route is possible.
July 07, 2010 02:56PM
Thanks bill-e-g I knew you would know. Is there any difficulties in doing that route?
July 07, 2010 04:35PM
You should be able to keep it all class 2 by staying S of the entire crest.

I have never done the route you speak but I know it can be done
b/c I ran into a lady as I was just about at the crest n. of Matthes
and that is the way she came up. Says she does it every year.

Lots of great options ... if you like lakes you can go the way I did
in a day (as long as there aren't sun cups!!!)
About 14 miles.
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,26329,26329#msg-26329

Another cool way IMO is up Budd. Over Matthes. Down to Matthes Lake.
Over to Nelson Lake. Up to Reymann. Then over to Raff. Crk or down to Eliz.

There's loads of route options < 20 miles that are stellar in that area.

Have fun
July 13, 2010 11:49AM
bill-e-g
You should be able to keep it all class 2 by staying S of the entire crest.

I have never done the route you speak but I know it can be done
b/c I ran into a lady as I was just about at the crest n. of Matthes
and that is the way she came up. Says she does it every year.

Lots of great options ... if you like lakes you can go the way I did
in a day (as long as there aren't sun cups!!!)
About 14 miles.
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,26329,26329#msg-26329

Another cool way IMO is up Budd. Over Matthes. Down to Matthes Lake.
Over to Nelson Lake. Up to Reymann. Then over to Raff. Crk or down to Eliz.

There's loads of route options < 20 miles that are stellar in that area.

Have fun

bill-e-g,

At first I dismissed your Budd Lake route as too much off trail for me but the route I chose to Matthes Crest isn't any better (Cathedral Pass-Echo Lake-Matthes Crest saddle). If anything, it's steeper and much longer. I've decided that on 8/18 I'll stay on trail for about a mile from the trailhead to where it flattens out, then cut over to Budd Creek and pretty much follow your GPS path from there. Then all I have to do is the descent to Echo Lake and it's all downhill to my campsite area on Cathedral Fork. I will miss out on upper Cathedral Lake photo ops but the Budd Lake/Echo Peaks photo ops will more than make up for that.
July 13, 2010 02:20PM
tomdisco
At first I dismissed your Budd Lake route as too much off trail for me but the route I chose to Matthes Crest isn't any better (Cathedral Pass-Echo Lake-Matthes Crest saddle). If anything, it's steeper and much longer. I've decided that on 8/18 I'll stay on trail for about a mile from the trailhead to where it flattens out, then cut over to Budd Creek and pretty much follow your GPS path from there. Then all I have to do is the descent to Echo Lake and it's all downhill to my campsite area on Cathedral Fork. I will miss out on upper Cathedral Lake photo ops but the Budd Lake/Echo Peaks photo ops will more than make up for that.

Jim,
There is a very distinct and well-worn trail to Budd Lake. Due to snow I didn't care if I was on the trail or not
(and wasn't) in the route linked to above.
I'll get a different picture of the trail to Budd 4u tonight.... but pretty much after about 1/2 mile from the TH there is
a use trail ... the trail stays on the west side of Budd Crk for some time... then cuts over to the east and up to the lake.
The only issue would be if you started following climbers route to Cath Pk.
Other than that it's very simple to follow IMO.
If you don't want the trail map then let me know... otherwise I'll post it tonight...
July 13, 2010 04:49PM
bill-e-g
tomdisco

Jim,
There is a very distinct and well-worn trail to Budd Lake. Due to snow I didn't care if I was on the trail or not
(and wasn't) in the route linked to above.
I'll get a different picture of the trail to Budd 4u tonight.... but pretty much after about 1/2 mile from the TH there is
a use trail ... the trail stays on the west side of Budd Crk for some time... then cuts over to the east and up to the lake.
The only issue would be if you started following climbers route to Cath Pk.
Other than that it's very simple to follow IMO.
If you don't want the trail map then let me know... otherwise I'll post it tonight...

Yes, I would like to see the trail map. Didn't realize there was a trail. I did indeed note where your GPS track stayed west, then crossed, and crossed back to the west side of Budd Creek again. I thought that odd but that there must have been a reason for it. Apparently you are saying I'm better off just heading up the creek than going up the Cathedral trail a mile to the flat area.

The primary reason I had dismissed your route at first is my very limited experience off trail. Anytime I'm going off trail someplace unfamiliar and uphill (particularly in wooded areas) I have visions of making about as much progress as a drunk elephant. The fact there is some kind of trail to Budd Lake is delightful news.
July 13, 2010 07:20PM
Here's the trail / track from my GPS.

Note that the turn-off is very close. If you want the actual track in garmin format... just let me know.

or here (Zoom in and save as... )

http://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/Testies#5493579400857839362

Good luck

btw... I crossed back over in that other map b/c I knew when I got to the lake it could be open
at the outlet... so crossing over before then on a snow bridge was more prudent.
July 14, 2010 12:13PM
bill-e-g
Here's the trail / track from my GPS.

Note that the turn-off is very close. If you want the actual track in garmin format... just let me know.

or here (Zoom in and save as... )

http://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/Testies#5493579400857839362

Good luck

btw... I crossed back over in that other map b/c I knew when I got to the lake it could be open
at the outlet... so crossing over before then on a snow bridge was more prudent.

O.K., thanks for the zoom photo link. I'll be sure to turn off the JMT at the 8,850' trailside altitude marker. Head roll
July 08, 2010 07:09AM
Once again THANKS! I really appreciate your input and posts bill-e-g. Your experience and knowledge of the Yosemite area is greatly appreciated. Yea, I saw the route you did along with the pictures. If I don't do the exact route I will definately do a major part of it. It looked great! Also I was thinking of going up to Cathedral Lakes area and maybe over Tresidder and catch the views above Tenaya Lake. Do you think this is possible? Once again thanks!
July 08, 2010 08:02AM
Again, haven't been up Tressider. It's class 4 though if that helps.
I'm not so sure that you will see much of Tenaya from there looking
at the topo. My computer sux at home so can't 100% determine.
From the south summit I doubt you can see much of the lake at all.

From Matthes Crest (heading west) I'd recommend this route:
- go over to Echo Peaks and Climb #1 - it's very easy class 3
- come back down and head N to Cathedral Pk then drop down to Upper Cath Lake
- head down to Lower Cath Lake then over to Medlicott Dome

Medlicott Dome will give you some really nice views of Tenaya Lake and
you can see Lembert and Half Dome from there too.

Have fun
July 08, 2010 11:08AM
Just looked at Google Earth.

You won't see Tenaya at all. Medlicott Dome is the way to go IMO.

I have an older picture that will give you an idea if would like to see it.

Have fun
July 08, 2010 01:24PM
I agree with bill-e-g. You will not see much or anything of Tenaya Lake from Tresidder. The northern leg of Tenaya Peak blocks the view. Last year I took photos of Tenaya Lake from the lower Cathedral Lake outlet and even from there only a third of Tenaya Lake is visible.
July 08, 2010 02:39PM
Thanks again. Yes I would like to see that picture bill-e-g if it's not to much trouble.How about going along the ridge west of tresidder down to the TH for Sunrise Lakes, HSC? I am definately going to take your advise about Medicott. I'm not so much for the views of Tenaya I,m just looking for other places to go that will be interesting. I've done most of the trails in the TM area and am looking for off trail hikes. Thanks again!
July 08, 2010 04:48PM
From Long Meadow you can x up and over to Mildred and from there to middle Sunrise Lake.
Include going up to Tenaya Peak while you are in that area to peak down at Tenaya Lake.

(this is on my list o things to do)

I'll put up a pix tonight. Some goofball on Google Earth "starmaster" (hi Jim) has some nice shots
from the outlet of Lower Cathedral if you wanna look there too.
smiling smiley
July 08, 2010 06:43PM
Here's from E of Medlicott (at least pretty sure):

July 08, 2010 06:44PM
And here's looking towards TM:

July 08, 2010 06:49PM
And here's looking north.
(Falls Ridge is in the middle of the photo)
(McGee Lake is below the dome in the middle right)

Now that I think more about it the first photo above of Tenaya was taken
from the dome in the foreground of this picture. Not on the top of that dome though.
If I remember correctly I couldn't get to the top of that one.

Need to go back. Really neat area to run around in.

Have fun
July 09, 2010 07:44AM
Thanks again bill-e-g. Great pictures! I always enjoy the pictures you post. The trouble with Yosemite is that there are just too many Places that I want to hike/explore. People ask me why I go there so much and I tell them Yosemite is the Disneyland of hiking without the crowds as long as you stay off the main trails. I have so many places in Yosemite on my to do list I don't think I will get to all of them in this lifetime espacially since I am on the backside of fifty years now.
July 09, 2010 02:05PM
jimbo
Thanks again bill-e-g. Great pictures! I always enjoy the pictures you post. The trouble with Yosemite is that there are just too many Places that I want to hike/explore. People ask me why I go there so much and I tell them Yosemite is the Disneyland of hiking without the crowds as long as you stay off the main trails. I have so many places in Yosemite on my to do list I don't think I will get to all of them in this lifetime espacially since I am on the backside of fifty years now.

jimbo,

I know how you feel and I just turned 65. I know I will not see all of it before I kick off, especially doing one trip per year from the east coast. My wife asks why I want to go all the way to CA every year when there is plenty of hiking available in the east. Few people understand.

Jim (Google Earth's starmaster)
July 09, 2010 08:01PM
jimbo
I have so many places in Yosemite on my to do list I don't think I will get to all of them in this lifetime...

It's a good problem to have. (Although it seems the list grows longer... not shorter)
smiling smiley

(you go to a new place... then more options present themselves... different routes... different seasons)
(wanna see it with max water... with no water... with snow... )

Have fun
July 09, 2010 02:53PM
tomdisco
Do you ever get that look from people like your crazy. Most everyone I know says you need to relax and go on a cruise or to a nice hotel and be pampered for vacation. I tried a cruise once, bored to death. Than I tell them I usually solo hike and they really think I am crazy. I just don't try to explain it. I don't know if I can. You just have to experience Yosemite and I don't mean by lookin out the car window. I run five miles a day five times a week lift weights at the gym all with the thought of going back to the mountains I love and being in good enough shape to hike them. I live in Utah now but I still drive across the middle of Nevada twice a year for my sanity.
July 10, 2010 06:58PM
jimbo
tomdisco
Do you ever get that look from people like your crazy. Most everyone I know says you need to relax and go on a cruise or to a nice hotel and be pampered for vacation. I tried a cruise once, bored to death. Than I tell them I usually solo hike and they really think I am crazy. I just don't try to explain it. I don't know if I can. You just have to experience Yosemite and I don't mean by lookin out the car window. I run five miles a day five times a week lift weights at the gym all with the thought of going back to the mountains I love and being in good enough shape to hike them. I live in Utah now but I still drive across the middle of Nevada twice a year for my sanity.

I'm afraid if I went on a cruise I would eat myself to death while on the ship! Aside from that I have no desire to mill about at various ports of call and tourists traps with 2,000 other people from the same ship, not to mention the thousands from all the other ships. You can't get away from them. That's insanity.

I also hike alone, at least for the time being, mostly because nobody else close to my age around home has either the desire (or ability) for high altitude hiking or the open schedule to go when I want to go. Various relatives have expressed concern for my hiking alone, bears, rock slides, etc. which I casually dismiss to their consternation. If I die in Yosemite that's not a bad thing. Just stuff me under a pine tree and raid my gear. Cocktailwinking smiley
July 10, 2010 07:41PM
tomdisco
I'm afraid if I went on a cruise I would eat myself to death while on the ship!

Usually that is stopped by this: http://tinyurl.com/8jxlsk
July 11, 2010 07:29AM
eeek
tomdisco
I'm afraid if I went on a cruise I would eat myself to death while on the ship!

Usually that is stopped by this: http://tinyurl.com/8jxlsk

Nope; that would be licked by a pair of those wrist button thingies.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login