All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Fatality from free-soloing on Eichorn Pinnacle
July 14, 2010 07:30AM
Stanford Mourns Grad Student Killed In Yosemite Fall
http://www.ktvu.com/news/24251175/detail.html

Apparently she was an experienced climber and wasn't known for being reckless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2010 08:25AM by y_p_w.
Re: Fatality from free-climbing on Eichorn Pinnacle
July 14, 2010 08:21AM
Solo Free climbing is scary as heck to watch. No ropes, nothing but air between climber and ground.
avatar Re: Fatality from free-climbing on Eichorn Pinnacle
July 14, 2010 08:25AM
hotrod4x5
Solo Free climbing is scary as heck to watch. No ropes, nothing but air between climber and ground.

Correction on my part. She was free-soloing. I wasn't up on my terms. Free-soloing is doing it without ropes. I edited the original title to reflect that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2010 08:26AM by y_p_w.
avatar Climber Killed In Fall From Eichorn Pinnacle
July 14, 2010 01:48PM
Yosemite National Park (CA)
Climber Killed In Fall From Eichorn Pinnacle

On the afternoon of July 9th, rangers received a report that a climber had fallen approximately 400 to 500 feet from Eichorn Pinnacle on Cathedral Peak in the Tuolumne Meadows Subdistrict. Rangers responded by helicopter and quickly located the climber, identified as Christina Chan, 31. Chan had fallen approximately 300 feet and sustained fatal injuries. Her body was removed from the scene via short-haul by a park contract helicopter. Investigators determined that Chan, along with a small group of other climbers, had been free soloing, and that she had slipped and been unable to recover while descending. Chan was a respected member of the Yosemite climbing community, a PhD student at Stanford University, past co-president of the Stanford Alpine Club, and an instructor with the Stanford Outdoor Education Program.
Re: Fatality from free-soloing on Eichorn Pinnacle
July 14, 2010 05:31PM
avatar Re: Fatality from free-soloing on Eichorn Pinnacle
July 14, 2010 05:48PM
y_p_w
wasn't known for being reckless.

Really? Free solo = reckless in my book.
avatar Re: Fatality from free-soloing on Eichorn Pinnacle
July 14, 2010 08:51PM
Is that old saying true for climbers too?

There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old bold pilots.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login